Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those bad drivers affect OUR stupid score game though.... that's a problem.
3t6ZL0s.png

All my categories are good except "unsafe following". I've been doing good drives now with 0 unsafe following time but my average is still stuck at 35.4%. It's been stuck at 35.4% for over a week. How do I fix my unsafe following time?

Here is my graph for "unsafe following": You can see I have 2 spikes but otherwise good. One was early before I could see my safety score on my app and I was new to how it works. The other one was when a semi truck cut in front of me on the highway. Maybe because the two spikes were so big, it will take longer to change the average?

9asie7G.png

You can see I have 2 spikes but otherwise good. One was early before I could see my safety score on my app and I was new to how it works. The other one was when a semi truck cut in front of me on the highway. Maybe because the two spikes were so big, it will take longer to change the average?

I feel like my "unsafe following" is probably holding me back from a higher score. If I could fix the "unsafe following", I could probably get to 99.
I think if you slow roll at a stoplight that might count in the “unsafe following” metric. When I got my unsafe following deal that’s about the only way I could have gotten it. When I came to a stop 3-4 car lengths back the rest of the time no more unsafe following.

Reactions: jebinc
I think if you slow roll at a stoplight that might count in the “unsafe following” metric. When I got my unsafe following deal that’s about the only way I could have gotten it. When I came to a stop 3-4 car lengths back the rest of the time no more unsafe following.

Thanks. I've been good at slowing down gradually and stopping about 1-2 cars lengths behind a car at a stop light and then waiting for the lead car to go before going when the light changes to green to make sure I am leaving enough follow time. It has worked. My unsafe follow time is zero in those cases. It's only when cars cutting in front of me that I get a bad follow time. I think my problem is not that how to get a safe follow time (I am getting good follow times now). My problem is that my past unsafe follow times have screwed up my average where it is taking a long time to fix my average despite good drives now. I don't get how a week of 0 unsafe follow times, my average would still be stuck at 35.4%.

I get a forward collision warning every day just for parking my car. I have a one stall garage and I get a warning because I am to close to the front... I also get a warning for parking at my office if I get within 2 feet from my fence. My commute is less than 15 min and I drive like an old lady. My score is 93 because I park my car. That's a messed up system.

I get a forward collision warning every day just for parking my car. I have a one stall garage and I get a warning because I am to close to the front... I also get a warning for parking at my office if I get within 2 feet from my fence. My commute is less than 15 min and I drive like an old lady. My score is 93 because I park my car. That's a messed up system.

Yeah that really sucks.

Oh yea? ALL people with 99? Lol. There are still people with 100 who are waiting.
He tweeted with 99/100 scores.

So got to drive 500 miles perfectly to get to a 99 now. Should have just gamed the system when I figured out the two button reset caused no score for the drive. Easily could have manipulated it to 100. Now stuck trying to game it up to a 99 after tons of stuff out of my control including the dumb AP.

Thanks. The 2 unsafe follow times I got were above 50 mph. That might explain why my average is stuck at 35.4% if it is not counting my good drives on city streets that are at speeds less than 50 mph. So basically I need to do more highway driving to get my score up?

Correct. What I do is go on the highway (try to merge using AP, a lot of my unsafe following was from merging and hitting 50mph while being too close to the car in front -- merging on AP resolves this even though it's not great for two reasons: 1. AP doesn't count any unsafe following and 2. because you have 3 second after disengaging AP before it starts counting against your metrics again, so if it's merges badly you can quickly correct it with no adverse effects to your score.

Worth mentioning though that bringing down your averages below the main score will not have any effect on that main score number. This has been tested and debunked last week by me and a few other people. The best way to get to your desired safety score is to just drive a lot of miles on the highway on AP. That gives you 100% perfect drives which are high mileage, so they'll bump your score the most. Enter your drives here and click the "100" at the top and change it to a 99. It'll tell me how many perfect miles you'll need to get to 99 which is generally much more achievable than 100.

So far that's been dead on for me and I have about 600 miles before I'll hit 99. What I've been doing is just going between two points on the highway not far from my house (about 25 miles apart) and then looping back around the other side. Adds miles quick, so I'd suggest trying to do the same. Good luck!

Reactions: diplomat33
How do I fix my unsafe following time?

I thought we answered this for you before? Spend more time following at 2-3 seconds on the freeway or at least above 50mph, off of AP. You just need to do this for a few minutes each drive, and as long as you are not a chronic tailgater, you’ll end up with low % here.

The spiky nature of your Unsafe Following guarantees that you are not a chronic tailgater - you got “flashed” a couple times by people cutting across in front of you for perhaps a second at a time when you were not using AP - that’s all. But you had minimal denominator to offset it.

In any case that is NOT what is primarily hurting your score. It’s your FCW and the hard braking.

Unsafe following barely matters. Keep it below 5% (on each day - the aggregate score makes zero difference at all, since it is ignored) but even much higher is not that big a deal unless your goal is 100 - plus it is super easy to fix - see above.

It’s by far the easiest metric to get very low numbers for - but it can be a struggle for chronic AP users.

Last edited:
I thought we answered this for you before? Spend more time following at 2-3 seconds on the freeway or at least above 50mph, off of AP. You just need to do this for a few minutes each drive, and as long as you are not a chronic tailgater, you’ll end up with low % here.

In any case that is NOT what is primarily hurting your score. It’s your FCW and the hard braking.

Unsafe following barely matters. Keep in below 5% but even much higher is not that big a deal unless your goal is 100 - plus it is super easy to fix - see above.

It’s by far the easiest metric to get very low numbers for - but it can be a struggle for chronic AP users.

Thanks.

You've gotten some great answers. Here is what I will say to 2nd those posts.

The general consensus as well as my personal tests indicate that Unsafe Following can't be corrected while on AP. Your best bet is to get on a highway over 50 MPH, then follow a truck/vehicle with a 1 to 3 second gap between you. I suggest a truck since they can't stop very quickly. Keep in mind this will only change your unsafe following score on the same day you incurred the ding.

I would also suggest that you see how much time you can dedicate to some error free highway driving on AP to average your overall Safety Score down. You can calculate how many miles you need using my spreadsheet.
Spreadsheet link:
1634305745960.png

Good luck. I made some minor edits above. Primary thing is to ignore the component values on the main page. They are of no consequence since they aren’t used directly to calculate your score. Focus on the daily values. But obviously should still keep unsafe following low on a daily basis, following the above procedure. Think of it as a daily task to bank some safe following early in the day (off of AP of course), and once you have a few minutes worth, you will be able to safely ignore it. (Keep an eye on your daily average of course.)

That is what they said, but I never went over 50 and still got the ding.
This sort of spurious hit will also be solved by banking safe following time off of AP over 50mph. Of course spurious hits would be problematic if you never have an opportunity to travel at over 50mph on a given day - but that is fairly rare.

When you have zero denominator banked it’s pretty easy to flash to 100% (60%) right away if there is any bad counting that takes place.

The 2 unsafe follow times I got were above 50 mph. … So basically I need to do more highway driving to get my score up?
If those were on previous days, the aggregated unsafe following individual factor score doesn't matter for your overall score. You need days with a daily score higher than your overall (mileage-weighted averaged) score to get your score up. Theoretically, one could have all red individual factor scores from say day 1 with 1 mile driven then still have an overall score of 99 with 100 miles at 100 score in later days. If those 100 miles were on Autopilot, the factor scores (except FCW) would be unchanged and still showing red, but overall score would make you eligible.

If those were on previous days, the aggregated unsafe following individual factor score doesn't matter for your overall score. You need days with a daily score higher than your overall (mileage-weighted averaged) score to get your score up. Theoretically, one could have all red individual factor scores from say day 1 with 1 mile driven then still have an overall score of 99 with 100 miles at 100 score in later days. If those 100 miles were on Autopilot, the factor scores (except FCW) would be unchanged and still showing red, but overall score would make you eligible.

Thanks. Yes, they were on separate days. I got a 60% unsafe following on Sept 28 and another 60% unsafe following on Oct 5. All my other trips were 0 unsafe following.