Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s weird
Don’t even show up

F2FD3282-4ED0-4A00-8334-F76C86F1FC7F.png

They already had all this data, just not linked to a VIN/person.

But they did learn what people would do if they could see their score. (Which will probably result in changes to it.)
The problem here is people are going to see Teslas routinely impeding traffic or driving erratically to satisfy Tesla's metrics. Progressive and others can get by with their systems because it's not obvious that Progressive is pulling the strings of the Corolla driver in everyone's way. People will tie a high frequency of nuisance behavior to Tesla.

Reactions: jebinc
The problem here is people are going to see Teslas routinely impeding traffic or driving erratically to satisfy Tesla's metrics. Progressive and others can get by with their systems because it's not obvious that Progressive is pulling the strings of the Corolla driver in everyone's way. People will tie a high frequency of nuisance behavior to Tesla.
Driving slower is nuisance behavior? Man, if I am driving the the right lane five under and that pisses a dude off he can go eat my hat.

I think the real problem is that the world is full of bad drivers that don’t give adequate following distance, make last minute darting turns, stare at their phone until the glance up and do an OH *sugar* THERES MY EXXXXITTTT swerve accross four lanes of interstate traffic, and decide to play vertical frogger with their car weveing in an out of traffic at high speed.

Driving slower is nuisance behavior? Man, if I am driving the the right lane five under and that pisses a dude off he can go eat my hat.
Massive and imprecise changes in following distance by autopilot is definitely a problem. Even if you're in the right lane, other people who want to be in the right lane go to pass you because you've dropped back two football fields and then autopilot closes the gap before they can complete the pass. With traffic merging through your lane on a regular basis, you simply cannot maintain a good following score in moderate or worse traffic unless you engage autopilot. And then there are plenty of transitions and other places where people cannot simply go around you. If you routinely ignore the 80% of traffic piling up behind you in those situations, you are definitely a nuisance.

If Tesla's top reward threshold is 90, maybe the situation will be better. Most people can probably hit that target without being jerks, and it still rewards smooth driving. If they continue with additional rewards to 100 and the metrics are similar to those in use now: (i) people will die because a certain subset won't hit the brakes or swerve in time; and (ii) Teslas will be identified with nuisance driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc and Ramphex
a screenshot from the new "Safety Score" screen on the Stats App showing percent of app users with FSD across safety scores:

View attachment 721678

the % of 100 scores was 12% when the beta was expanded and has been dropping since then...
Cool. This is the only way I can see my safety score now. Had to log back in to Stats which I had not used in over a year.

Looks like I am down to a 99, primarily due to an FCW occurring right after an FSD Beta disengagement resulting in 46 miles with a score of 93! (Car parked by the side of the road on my street that I was definitely not going to hit, but I think it still had TACC on so it got upset.) Just 752 miles to get back to “perfect.” Lol.

But I don’t care! I will maintain a decent score it seems. The FCW will eventually drop off I suppose.

Attachments

• AB2758EA-B71A-4983-A655-D074721EBB01.png
    AB2758EA-B71A-4983-A655-D074721EBB01.png
    253.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Cool. This is the only way I can see my safety score now. Had to log back in to Stats which I had not used in over a year.

Looks like I am down to a 99, primarily due to an FCW occurring right after an FSD Beta disengagement resulting in 46 miles with a score of 93! Just 752 miles to get back to “perfect.”

But I don’t care! I will maintain a decent score it seems. The FCW will eventually drop off I suppose.
They don't, because once the day ends the stats don't really matter anymore. It's all an average of your daily scores and mileages. Just think about it, if you have 10 days of 100 scores, your overall will be 100, but if you have 9 days of 100 scores and 1 day of 93, your average is 99.3 which rounds down to 99 overall score, add the miles into the mix and it's like 10x harder to get the average back to 99.5 so it's rounded up to 100.

My family is going to be SO happy with me.
I've already banned my wife from driving the Tesla for 2 weeks now.
Yesterday when it was announced that 100 scores were getting beta, I parked the car and nobody drove it since it was at 100 and the last thing I needed was to lower my score especially since the 1,000 per day rollout was delayed if you weren't at 100....Now that the goal posts have moved again, I'm going to be Mr. Popular around here! I think I'll keep it garaged another couple of days. I do have 567 cumulative miles, so it's not "gamed", I'm just trying to get this car back into the family rotation (with beta for me) as quickly as possible. Grrrrrr....
You do know that if not driven daily you move to the end the line. Why give the Beta to a car that isn’t moving. LOL

I just signed up for Tesla insurance here in Texas and I noticed that my safety score was wiped.
Anyone in the same boat? It would *really* suck if my score was reset after all this time.
How are they using this score with their insurance? If your score drops you rate goes up? Are there brackets? Is the starting price based off 100 expectation and it'll only go up if score goes down or does the price go down if the score remains 100? I want the four one uno boi

How are they using this score with their insurance? If your score drops you rate goes up? Are there brackets? Is the starting price based off 100 expectation and it'll only go up if score goes down or does the price go down if the score remains 100? I want the four one uno boi

They don't, because once the day ends the stats don't really matter anymore.
It will drop off after 30 days, which is what I was talking about. But I don’t care at all. Mission Accomplished. And I plan to continue to drive carefully and I’ve played enough with FSD Beta now that I know not to bother using it in my neighborhood. So further FCWs are very unlikely.

I’ll also get a huge boost in about 10 days when my initial 115 miles at 99 drop off. Still won’t get me to 100 though (only gives me 115 mile bonus), but depends on how much driving I do in the next week.

Last edited: