Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem I have with this app, is that it doesn't show the maximum left and right forward and back g-forces to see if I went over what Tesla considers aggressive turning or hard braking.

I'm trying this app below so far and I'm setting the max to 0.4 gs and turning the auto setting off so that it doesn't automatically increase the max value for the display. It shows me a red indicator when I take a turn too hard. It's great to show you really quickly while driving when you're getting dinged for aggressive turning.

For hard braking, if I see orange in the down direction, then I know I am dinged for that.

You can easily see the max values for each direction and reset it.

Vehicle G-Force: racing car accelerometer
Looks like a great find. I may try that.

Reactions: GargantulaKon
The ironic part about AP miles not counting is that not only do they not count for the numerator, but they also don't count for the denominator. So if you spend all of your time on AP, then disengage and get a hard braking, then reengage, you will get nearly 100% hard braking. So to bring that number down, you need to do a lot of miles not on AP the same day.

So AP helps you when your score for the day is perfect, but hurts you if not.
That definitely seems true based on my recent road trip and driving around. Even a small amount of infractions when you were out of AP hurt your score a lot. I dropped out of 100 on the 14th day (the Fri) in the last 1 hr segment (between last charge and place to stay) of an all-day drive. The remaining trip until home brought me to 98 even tho I was on AP as much as I could be. Hard braking in a *hilly* community where we stayed was brutal as well because any braking toward the bottom of the hill seemed to exceed the G force limit.

I never enter the freeway above 50 speed.

I love EV's like a Tesla because they allow me to enter the freeway at whatever speed traffic is going whether its 40 or 80.

I can time it to enter behind someone or ahead of someone almost regardless of how short the onramp is.

This is not with the safety score because the safety score would ding me for hard turning on the onramp, and hard braking for simple re-gen to get behind someone.

With the safety score its "let autopilot handle it and hopefully I don't die of embarrassment".

Last edited:
Reactions: boonedocks
I love EV's like a Tesla because they allow me to enter the freeway at whatever speed traffic is going whether its 40 or 80.

I can time it to enter behind someone or ahead of someone almost regardless of how short the onramp is.

This is not with the safety score because the safety score would ding me for hard acceleration on the onramp, and hard braking for simple re-gen to get behind someone.

With the safety score its "let autopilot handle it and hopefully I don't die of embarrassment".
You don't get dinged for hard acceleration, but you do for hard braking. I've done it many times. It's one of the tricks if you want to fix your hard braking, you need to accelerate a lot and then slowly brake via regen.

Reactions: T-Racer
You don't get dinged for hard acceleration, but you do for hard braking. I've done it many times. It's one of the tricks if you want to fix your hard braking, you need to accelerate a lot and then slowly brake via regen.

Thanks - I fixed it.

I meant hard turning and not hard acceleration.

I can't be the only one that does the onramp loop at freeway speeds.

I got an 82 for my first day with the safety score without modifying my driving.

I modified my driving to suite the safety score and I got it up to 99.

I think the easiest way to prevent Hard braking events for lot of people is to just think that you are a Tractor trailer driver under full load. How do you plan to stop when that little motorcycle suddenly stopped or bicycle guy jumped in front of you ? I drive through "skid row" every other day. There are people under the influence of drugs jumps to the middle of the road and suddenly break out dancing. It happened to me 3 times so far. I have a collection of videos to prove it. I consider this dancing as entertainment provided by california state to its tax payers. I enjoy it thoroughly at my own "expense". You have to wait until the performance ends. If you try to pass the dancers , they might abruptly move towards you and some times they carry a stick they vigorously swipe around them like a sword to fight off the evil. My nearest supercharger is at The Row , I call it the nice Row but skid row is overflowing rapidly towards it. I could take the freeway to avoid them but the speed here most of the time is 2 miles an hr :) .

• Funny
Reactions: DaveG_NJ
It's all vague voodoo. I went for a drive at lunch after re-enrolling yesterday to start over. Picked roads with no passing lanes (no one to cut in front of me). Kept my speed under 45 mph. Got trapped in a short cycle yellow light that would have been red if I sped through it. So I knew I'd need to dilute that braking event and on country roads with no one behind me, I'd get up to about 60 and slowly brake to a stop. Over and over again. Still got dinged for that one hard braking event and wound up with a 98 for that drive. I'll be so glad when this lunacy ends.

It's all vague voodoo. I went for a drive at lunch after re-enrolling yesterday to start over. Picked roads with no passing lanes (no one to cut in front of me). Kept my speed under 45 mph. Got trapped in a short cycle yellow light that would have been red if I sped through it. So I knew I'd need to dilute that braking event and on country roads with no one behind me, I'd get up to about 60 and slowly brake to a stop. Over and over again. Still got dinged for that one hard braking event and wound up with a 98 for that drive. I'll be so glad when this lunacy ends.
Dave, try 45 or 35 speed limit streets. You can bring down your daily hard braking score so fast that way. My valet brings my car with a high hard braking score every time and I was able to clear it with 5 to 10 mile drive in town doing errands.

28CFEAA8-9A70-4F74-A1DF-CE9C0A21F311.png
Day 2 after opt-out/in. Another 22 miles of 100, up to 44 miles now.

Would’ve had 66 miles, but I had an FCW this morning. Did the reboot and got that drive flushed.

Should have another 44 miles tomorrow.

This is intense man, haha!! It’s worse than before…I don’t want to have to start over again, haha!! If I do, I’ve got a planned 140 drive this Saturday that should do the trick.

View attachment 723829Day 2 after opt-out/in. Another 22 miles of 100, up to 44 miles now.

Would’ve had 66 miles, but I had an FCW this morning. Did the reboot and got that drive flushed.

This is intense man, haha!! It’s worse than before…I don’t want to have to start over again, haha!! If I do, I’ve got a planned 140 drive this Saturday that should do the trick.
It feels very high-risk/high-reward to reset for a 100, I'm planning on AP driving around 1am on an empty freeway later, doing the scroll wheel reset just in case before I get on the ramp. 😂

View attachment 723829Day 2 after opt-out/in. Another 22 miles of 100, up to 44 miles now.

If possible, i think the easiest thing to do is jump on the freeway at late night (10pm+) and drive to a supercharger that’ll get you the mileage you need. Then park it till you get the update notification.

Well yes, it doesn't erase your ding but it dilutes it. And yes you have to do it many many times. It's so stupid. It's the game we have to play if we want the FSD beta. I can't wait until I get it and I can stop doing these stupid games. Today, somebody cut me off and then slammed their brakes to turn into an entrance. I was very far from them after they cut me off. I was so angry. I just did the two finger salute (aka reset). I could totally see somebody being on the news with a road rage incident because of how much it affects your score when somebody cuts us off.

Reactions: DaveG_NJ
Looks like you need a min of 100 miles. I was at 60 miles with 100 score so last night I drove 20 miles away and headed back home to get my 100 miles. I just received the invite into FSD beta.

I used the trick I found here for my other car where I opted out and opted back in to get 100. That car has 10 miles now. I guess I need to take a 45mile trip and back home tonight.

Reactions: GargantulaKon
Have the main scoring metrics changed at all?

I had a few phantom front collisions earlier on that tanked me. I’ve got my little spreadsheet and have been filling it out. By that math I should have hit 99 today about 30 miles ago but still stuck at 98. Also when I enter the total stats into the daily score estimator it gives me a 99. I’m at a loss. What am I missing? Could it be that a daily 100 that’s not perfect across the board isn’t calculated as an actual 100 but perhaps 99.6 [which I can’t see]?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

630C87AE-1EAE-4677-9588-92721C50EC60.png093B559E-38FC-439F-8532-29BE88D683C2.png

Have the main scoring metrics changed at all?

I had a few phantom front collisions earlier on that tanked me. I’ve got my little spreadsheet and have been filling it out. By that math I should have hit 99 today about 30 miles ago but still stuck at 98. Also when I enter the total stats into the daily score estimator it gives me a 99. I’m at a loss. What am I missing? Could it be that a daily 100 that’s not perfect across the board isn’t calculated as an actual 100 but perhaps 99.6 [which I can’t see]?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

View attachment 723847View attachment 723846
Use the sheet that’s in this thread. A few pages back, it’s spot on for me, I tracked it to the mile for score changes from 96->97, and 98->99.

Use the sheet that’s in this thread. A few pages back, it’s spot on for me, I tracked it to the mile for score changes from 96->97, and 98->99.

Thank you! Just did another 28 miles and hit 99. Woohoo!!! Perhaps a fat fingered a digit or something. The flip to 98 from 97 was precise to the sheet.

Friday night can’t come soon enough. When I upgraded my 2018 AWD to a new 2021 P3 my intention wasn’t to drive as I have been for the past month. lol

Reactions: tdiggity

!!!!

Reactions: Mr. Michael
Thank you! Just did another 28 miles and hit 99. Woohoo!!! Perhaps a fat fingered a digit or something. The flip to 98 from 97 was precise to the sheet.

Friday night can’t come soon enough. When I upgraded my 2018 AWD to a new 2021 P3 my intention wasn’t to drive as I have been for the past month. lol
Nice! We’re in the same 99 score boat. Hoping the FSD team pulls through for us!

Last edited: