Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been dinged for unsafe following on drives where I used Autopilot for 80 out of 80 miles. I'm not really sure what the problem is but it doesn't seem to line up with what the documentation says.
I just drove 1,800 freeway miles on a four-day trip using Autopilot 99+% of the time. I have my Follow Distance set at 7. I got dinged for Unsafe Following over 20% of the miles driven each day, resulting in a Safety Score of 97. Does not feel at all fair that I’m kept out of the FSD Beta due to Autopilot following too close, especially given that I’ve got it set on the most conservative setting.

I just drove 1,800 freeway miles on a four-day trip using Autopilot 99+% of the time. I have my Follow Distance set at 7. I got dinged for Unsafe Following over 20% of the miles driven each day, resulting in a Safety Score of 97. Does not feel at all fair that I’m kept out of the FSD Beta due to Autopilot following too close, especially given that I’ve got it set on the most conservative setting.
On AP you get a 100% all the time. Any dings happen when you are not on AP.

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 7.18.09 AM.png

Last edited:
On AP you get a 100% all the time. Any dings happen when you are not on AP.

View attachment 723541
The ironic part about AP miles not counting is that not only do they not count for the numerator, but they also don't count for the denominator. So if you spend all of your time on AP, then disengage and get a hard braking, then reengage, you will get nearly 100% hard braking. So to bring that number down, you need to do a lot of miles not on AP the same day.

So AP helps you when your score for the day is perfect, but hurts you if not.

Remember that at 30 days, you start dropping daily entries in the calculations. That could be as early as next week, depending on when you pushed the button. I know lots of people have a couple of bad days right at the beginning as they were figuring how things worked, so once the first few days drop out, you may see a improvement in your score.
For those with bad early scores I plan to update my spreadsheet (Safety Score) to include a rolling cumulative score so that you can see how many miles you need as your bad scores roll off. I've already designed this on a backup sheet and will add it to the published sheet as soon as it becomes clear that Tesla is doing that.

Last edited:
Remember that at 30 days, you start dropping daily entries in the calculations. That could be as early as next week, depending on when you pushed the button. I know lots of people have a couple of bad days right at the beginning as they were figuring how things worked, so once the first few days drop out, you may see a improvement in your score.
Very much hoping this is going to be the case.. as my ONE FCW was on Saturday after Friday morning pushing the button. We’ll see.

Reactions: FlyF4
Totally agree, I hate valet, and I'd go out of my way to avoid it at all costs, regardless of what I'm driving.

I would rather not valet my car, but I think its a bit futile to go out of my way to avoid it.

To avoid it is to avoid optimization.

No optimization of parking
No optimization of charging
No optimization of time

Is fear really worth leaving all those unoptimized?

There is a hotel in Portland where a big part of why I choose the hotel is the combination of valet parking (it's valet only), and destination charging. If you ask them to charge the car they'll take care of it, and they'll even move a car off a charger to charge another one if there are more EV's than chargers.

Sure there is a chance they could damage my car, but they only drive it down the ramp into the parking garage. I've gone there probably 30 times over the past 4+ years since they added the chargers without any issue. Well without any issue other than hardly ever having 1's on me.

Anyone have any idea how safety score post beta download impacts ability to keep it? I wonder if it’s something we have to learn to use while driving or is this just a psychological win getting something many want but don’t have. curious on people that have the beta.

I've read that it doesn't matter post beta download. You'll get kicked out for "dangerous behavior", which to me, now that they use the cabin camera for beta...is too low of eye contact on road %, or....too many kick outs of autopilot due to not nudging the wheel, or something along those lines.

I received beta last night and no longer have safety score in my app...its gone. Can someone else confirm that safety score disappears in app after you receive beta?

Anyone have any idea how safety score post beta download impacts ability to keep it? I wonder if it’s something we have to learn to use while driving or is this just a psychological win getting something many want but don’t have. curious on people that have the beta.
Haven't heard of anyone losing beta owing to scores going down. In fact, removal of scores from official Tesla App basically points to beta being perpetually (hopefully - unless Ms Cummings intervenes) installed.

I've read that it doesn't matter post beta download. You'll get kicked out for "dangerous behavior", which to me, now that they use the cabin camera for beta...is too low of eye contact on road %, or....too many kick outs of autopilot due to not nudging the wheel, or something along those lines.

I received beta last night and no longer have safety score in my app...its gone. Can someone else confirm that safety score disappears in app after you receive beta?
It does disappear - however, apps like "statsApp" is still able to fetch the latest scores even after Tesla app doesn't show it. It means that they are at the least tracking it, or have been tracking it, for maybe insurance purposes or since we decided to agree to "share" data with Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: K5TRX and T-Racer
The ironic part about AP miles not counting is that not only do they not count for the numerator, but they also don't count for the denominator. So if you spend all of your time on AP, then disengage and get a hard braking, then reengage, you will get nearly 100% hard braking. So to bring that number down, you need to do a lot of miles not on AP the same day.

So AP helps you when your score for the day is perfect, but hurts you if not.

Any freeway Safety Score driving should include a good amount of manual driving while following someone because you never know when you're going to get dinged.

The manual driving should be done when other cars don't pose a risk to your safety score.

Use AP when someone might cut in front of you as AP gives you 3 seconds of time to sort it out after disengaging it.
Use AP when the car might misidentify the car in the other lane as being in front of you. I've had AP moments where it's slowed down and tracked the car in the other lane as the lead car. If it wasn't in AP my close following time would have increased.
Use AP autolane change whenever possible as lane changes while entering or exiting the freeway is where a lot of the close following is going to happen.

lane changes while entering or exiting the freeway is where a lot of the close following is going to happen.
True. I was worried about that in the beginning. What worked for me was I bring my speed down below 50 using the scroll wheel near the exit and I disengage AP while i am at 45 mile speed so i dont get dinged for close following. The word is "Proactive". I have to position myself at the right lane at least a mile before the exit and slowly bring the speed down using the scroll wheel. I am "psychologically training" the mad-max guy behind me. I noticed they either slowing down or going away from me. Not a single person sounded their horn at me so far. This is because I have psychologically prepared them while at the rightmost lane and I have my turn signal a few hundred meters away from the exit.

I never enter the freeway above 50 speed. If the freeway ramp is longer then I will start "psychologically training" the mad-max guys behind me so they will understand whats ahead. Once i am safely entered the right lane and below 50 miles speed I will activate AP before moving into a fast lane.

The word "finesse" comes to my mind. Anyone can drive a car fast. But how many people can completely control one of the most powerfull machines in the world.

Spider-man's uncle once told me " With great power (greater than 449 HP) comes great responsibility".

I would rather not valet my car, but I think its a bit futile to go out of my way to avoid it.

No optimization of time

There is a hotel in Portland where a big part of why I choose the hotel is the combination of valet parking (it's valet only), and destination charging. If you ask them to charge the car they'll take care of it, and they'll even move a car off a charger to charge another one if there are more EV's than chargers.

Sure there is a chance they could damage my car, but they only drive it down the ramp into the parking garage. I've gone there probably 30 times over the past 4+ years since they added the chargers without any issue. Well without any issue other than hardly ever having 1's on me.
It's a bit easier when you trust the place and have a reputation there. I don't live in the city so I don't have to worry about these parking games, which even more makes me feel uneasy letting some 18 year old handjob "park" my car at some random restaurant or hotel. I have plenty of friends who have worked valet in the past and told me the screwing around they did because they were bored haha

Reactions: jebinc
True. I was worried about that in the beginning. What worked for me was I bring my speed down below 50 using the scroll wheel near the exit and I disengage AP while i am at 45 mile speed so i dont get dinged for close following. The word is "Proactive". I have to position myself at the right lane at least a mile before the exit and slowly bring the speed down using the scroll wheel. I am "psychologically training" the mad-max guy behind me. I noticed they either slowing down or going away from me. Not a single person sounded their horn at me so far. This is because I have psychologically prepared them while at the rightmost lane and I have my turn signal a few hundred meters away from the exit.

I never enter the freeway above 50 speed. If the freeway ramp is longer then I will start "psychologically training" the mad-max guys behind me so they will understand whats ahead. Once i am safely entered the right lane and below 50 miles speed I will activate AP before moving into a fast lane.

The word "finesse" comes to my mind. Anyone can drive a car fast. But how many people can completely control one of the most powerfull machines in the world.

Spider-man's uncle once told me " With great power (greater than 449 HP) comes great responsibility".
Agree. I feel like safety score is less about finding who’s driving safe or has the best reaction time. It’s about who has the best strategic / defensive driving skill and ability to anticipate what others will do well before they do it.

There may also be a dash of “who’s willing to look like an absolute jerk and be fine with it” while testing beta.

And maybe a pinch of “who is living in less crazy driving locations” :p

Set it to Early, actually. Then you have a very slight chance of avoiding the problem.

No optimization of time

Sure there is a chance they could damage my car, but they only drive it down the ramp into the parking garage. I've gone there probably 30 times over the past 4+ years since they added the chargers without any issue. Well without any issue other than hardly ever having 1's on me.J
Posting this just for fun... a pretty rare event, but pretty crazy!!

Reactions: iBetMy10k
Anybody have 2 cars on the same account with Safety Scores? I heard it was all per VIN? Anyway, I have a 99 on my Model S and my wife has a 97 on her Model 3. I am hoping that my car gets the Beta Friday night and that she will get hers in a couple weeks with the 98 group. No way to get her to 99 without doing the OPT OUT/IN routine. And if we did the Opt out/in routine would that affect my 99 on my car. We are in the same App. I would assume it would only affect her car. She does not drive much (less < 200 since the start almost 4 weeks ago).

Happy to report that opting out, waiting for the SS to drop off the app, then opting back in worked like a charm.

It took about 30 min for the scores to drop off, and an hour or so for the SS tab to reappear. My daily route for the next three days is an easy 44 miles of 100 score driving. Looking forward to joining the 100 club today, haha!!
If you are keep maintaining 100 scores in the next few days, please let us know when you get FSD beta. Hopefully you will get it soon.

Reactions: T-Racer
So while using a g-force meter for the first time while driving to see what was aggressive turning since I'm getting dinged a lot for that. I didn't realize how little of a turn would cause a 0.4g reading. I think when we get aggressive turning or hard braking and you don't know why, it could be the bumps in the road or the lip of your sidewalk when getting into your driveway, I noticed I almost hit 0.4 g when I entered my driveway around 6 mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc and Sporty
Congrats on the improvement you did get.
Many folks have gotten some assistance on Hard Braking and Aggressive Turning by using G Sensor (on Android for me, not sure about iPhone).
I installed and tried numerous g-force sensors and found most had more data than I needed and were hard to read while driving. G Sensor seemed to be the best solution for me and the screenshot below is the whole UI, no menu or other screens, that's it. To use it you start by mounting the phone in your vehicle while stationary and press calibration. You need to press calibration very lightly for it to center the ball. I do this on a level surface but I don't know if that's necessary. You can use this app as a gauge of your braking and cornering.
Here is a link on Google Play: G Sensor - Apps on Google Play

Screen shot:
View attachment 723255
The problem I have with this app, is that it doesn't show the maximum left and right forward and back g-forces to see if I went over what Tesla considers aggressive turning or hard braking.

I'm trying this app below so far and I'm setting the max to 0.4 gs and turning the auto setting off so that it doesn't automatically increase the max value for the display. It shows me a red indicator when I take a turn too hard. It's great to show you really quickly while driving when you're getting dinged for aggressive turning.

For hard braking, if I see orange in the down direction, then I know I am dinged for that.

You can easily see the max values for each direction and reset it.

Vehicle G-Force: racing car accelerometer