Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How have you managed a 99? I'm at 96 but getting higher than that seems impossible. It regards any use of the brake peddle, no matter how light, as hard braking. I'm doing one peddle almost all of the time but there is the occasional instance when the car isn't slowing down enough by itself and you have to tap the brake, this is especially true when the charge level is high and the car hasn't had time to warm the battery. Yesterday on the start of a long trip I had to use the peddle at a stop sign near my house, it was a light tap but I got dinged on my score. Curiously on my way home I did have a hard stop when someone in front of me stopped suddenly, that stop didn't show up on my safety score. I also had one instance of following too close which I know never happened, I normally keep large distances between me and the next car and yesterday I was especially vigilante. There were no warnings and I have the warning level set at lower distance than they are supposedly using for this score.
I have 100’s every day but the first.

1) I drive on AP as much as possible.
2) When not on AP (neighborhood and turns) I drive like a paranoid person at very slow speeds with tons of room. Slow cornering…

I have a FCW I am still trying to overcome from the first day. Is mileage on autopilot or manual driving best to overcome it?
Mileage on AP is probably best for that. But depending on how bad your score was, and the mileage on that day, you might need 500 miles or so perfect miles to compensate for it (the required miles to get back to (rounded) 100 is a function of the mileage on that first day).

Mileage on AP is probably best for that. But depending on how bad your score was, and the mileage on that day, you might need 500 miles or so perfect miles to compensate for it (the required miles to get back to (rounded) 100 is a function of the mileage on that first day).
I had an 89 with that FCW and have been sitting on 99 for 3 days. Have driven everyday with all 100’s and one 99. Been trying to get a little extra mileage each day to hopefully get to
100 by Friday.

A0729466-5201-4B92-B1F8-5E485E83BFDF.png

I had an 89 with that FCW and have been sitting on 99 for 3 days. Have driven everyday with all 100’s and one 99. Been trying to get a little extra mileage each day to hopefully get to
100 by Friday.
Yeah, you'd get back to 99 (98.5) after 170 perfect miles. Gets harder from here though. So you drove around 26 miles on that first day (gives FCW of 38 per 1000 miles yielding an 89 but I'm assuming all other factors were perfect - doesn't change the conclusion much though)? In which case you'd need (in total) about 560 perfect miles (100 on all the days) to get back to 100 (99.5):

(26*89+560*100)/586 = 99.51.

For you since you have a 99 in there somewhere you'll need to do a bit better (whatever the mileage was that 99 day, double it and add it to the 560 value). So for example if you had 30 miles on that day, you'll need to do 620 miles including that 99 day (so 30 at 99 and 590 at 100).

At least, this is how I assume FCWs work - I assume they're no different than the other factors when calculating the overall score - rounded daily scores are mileage-weighted and averaged.

And this just gets you to 99.5, which while it displays as 100, may not be good enough, depending on the competition. You'd probably want 1500 miles at 100 to ensure you're comfortably in the running (99.8 true non-rounded score). FCWs are awful and truly terrifying.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighZ
Yeah, you'd get back to 99 (98.5) after 170 perfect miles. Gets harder from here though. So you drove around 26 miles on that first day (gives FCW of 38 per 1000 miles yielding an 89 but I'm assuming all other factors were perfect - doesn't change the conclusion much though)? In which case you'd need (in total) about 560 perfect miles (100 on all the days) to get back to 100 (99.5):

(26*89+560*100)/586 = 99.51.

For you since you have a 99 in there somewhere you'll need to do a bit better (whatever the mileage was that 99 day, double it and add it to the 560 value). So for example if you had 30 miles on that day, you'll need to do 620 miles including that 99 day (so 30 at 99 and 590 at 100).

At least, this is how I assume FCWs work - I assume they're no different than the other factors when calculating the overall score - rounded daily scores are mileage-weighted and averaged.

And this just gets you to 99.5, which while it displays as 100, may not be good enough, depending on the competition. You'd probably want 1500 miles at 100 to ensure you're comfortably in the running (99.8 true non-rounded score). FCWs are awful and truly terrifying.
Thanks for your response. I have a little work to do but manageable

PS : Does anyone know if the way they are scoring (i.e. the formula) is similar to what other insurance providers or some research papers use ?

AllState example: https://www.allstate.com/landingpages/drivewisedevice.aspx

Allstate tool -- Trip Report:
  • <snip time/vin/odo>
  • Indicator suggesting that hyper-miling took place
  • Average speed while the vehicle is in motion (not including 0 mph)
  • Seconds driven in speed bands (each band is 10 mph up to 120 mph)
  • Miles driven in each time range (each time range is 1 hour totaling 24 ranges)*
  • Constant speed mile driven in speed bands (each band is 10 mph up to 120 mph)
  • Varying speed miles driven in speed bands (each band is 10 mph up to 120 mph)
  • Seconds driven during deceleration in 1 mph/s bands up to 10 mph/s
  • Seconds driven during acceleration in 1 mph/s bands up to 10 mph/s
  • Count of occurrences braking more than 10 seconds in 6 bands over 6 mph/s
  • Count of occurrences accelerating more than 10 seconds in 6 bands over 6 mph/s
  • Accelerometer orientation flag - indicating whether the device oriented with vehicle
  • Miles driven with small speed variation in 13 individual 5 mph bands
  • Miles driven with larger speed variation in 13 individual 5 mph bands
  • Count of successive acceleration and deceleration
  • Count of excessive speed changes
This information is sent once per trip (a trip is measured as engine on and engine off).

[update] on companies that offer this:
Who Offers Insurance Trackers?
Most national insurance companies offer tracking-based insurance.

• Allstate: Drivewise
  • American Family: KnowYourDrive
  • Farmers: Signal
  • Geico: DriveEasy
  • Nationwide: SmartRide
  • Progressive: Snapshot
  • State Farm: Drive Safe and Save
  • Travelers: IntelliDrive
  • USAA: SafePilot
via: https://www.usnews.com/insurance/auto/how-do-those-car-insurance-tracking-devices-work
[/update]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: HighZ and EVNow
If using the true unrounded daily values, mileage weighted, I have a 99.3.
Rounding the individual days first, I have a 99.6.
Overall, in the app, I have a 100.

Thanks to your analysis, you caused me to re-do my spreadsheet to calculate the total score based on the rounded and non-rounded daily scores. I believe I can confirm that the total score is based on the rounded scores since I was able to get back to 100 on Friday, but only if I used the rounded scores.

In trying to improve my score these last two days by manually driving, I messed up my score with hard braking. I went from an aggregate of 99.58 to 99.33 and 99.29. But I used your formula to calculate how many 100 point miles I need to make it back to 99.5, which is 437. 99.6 requires 750 and anything higher is in the thousands. I have 610 miles to drive M-F, so there is a chance, but it gets harder and harder to impact the score.

There is the 30-day rolling score, so in a month, my worst days will drop off, but I think we can only maintain a 99-100 for so long with normal driving. I sure hope that the beta drops as expected.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
AP wants to kill me.

so I’m using AP constantly to up my safety score and seem to be having all sorts of problems.

On limited access roads it slows down at the blinking yellow “signal ahead” lights and when I press the accelerator it keeps making clunks trying to stop the car. I have to take it out of AP and accelerate through the green light — assuming I don’t miss it because the car slowed to a crawl.

It loves to cross double-double yellow lines on blind left curves if there is a car parked on the right side thinking it is a threat.

Finally, it will stay in the carpool lane even if there isn’t another exit out before the off ramp I need to take, then it will enable the turn signal and play ping pong against the “do not cross” carpool lane, finally turning the screen red and screaming at me to take control.

Last edited:
PS : Does anyone know if the way they are scoring (i.e. the formula) is similar to what other insurance providers or some research papers use ?

I have State Farm. Their tracker looks at the following:

Quick acceleration
Hard braking
Fast cornering
Speeding
Distracted driving

They don't disclose any formulas (but maybe that info is out on the Internet).

Tesla's safety factors as they are now don't really differentiate themselves much from traditional insurers. When they can incorporate camera data in context with some of this stuff, or just plain old camera data, e.g. time spent in people's blind spot, then they can more accurately and granularly adjust premiums for individuals.

Today I got into a detour into a long stretch of single lane road which is wide enough for both direction. There were occasional cars coming from the other direction got me worrying. Glad at the end my score came out fine. The safety score seem to be pretty fair handling that situation.

You have screenshots of this? Also how many miles you think you drove within the time period
Hey excuse me, my post was garbage. The phone app was 'not connected' and opened normally but the safety score menu item was gone. Turns out I drove 60 miles today, got a daily score of 99 and it brought my total 8 day score up to 97. I thought this was a 7 day evaluation. I do not think I signed up for more than that. I did not sign up for evaluation into perpetuity.