Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey excuse me, my post was garbage. The phone app was 'not connected' and opened normally but the safety score menu item was gone. Turns out I drove 60 miles today, got a daily score of 99 and it brought my total 8 day score up to 97. I thought this was a 7 day evaluation. I do not think I signed up for more than that. I did not sign up for evaluation into perpetuity.
The Safety Score is calculated for a 30 day period. It will continue to evaluate until you opt out.

As stated on this page:Safety Score Beta

We combine your daily Safety Scores (up to 30 days) to calculate the aggregated Safety Score, displayed on the main ‘Safety Score’ screen of the Tesla app.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I have State Farm. Their tracker looks at the following:

Quick acceleration
Hard braking
Fast cornering
Speeding
Distracted driving

They don't disclose any formulas (but maybe that info is out on the Internet).

Tesla's safety factors as they are now don't really differentiate themselves much from traditional insurers. When they can incorporate camera data in context with some of this stuff, or just plain old camera data, e.g. time spent in people's blind spot, then they can more accurately and granularly adjust premiums for individuals.
Do you know how they compute hard breaking or fast turns?

The Safety Score is calculated for a 30 day period. It will continue to evaluate until you opt out.

As stated on this page:Safety Score Beta

We combine your daily Safety Scores (up to 30 days) to calculate the aggregated Safety Score, displayed on the main ‘Safety Score’ screen of the Tesla app.
Got that. I was going with the Musk 09/16 tweet that I push the button and "If driving behavior is good for 7 days, beta access will be granted." I then interpreted the up to 30 days window to be for people that needed to improve their scores. As in, after 30 days trying you're out. Its all kind of like reading tea leaves to me. I don't want to overthink it.

Reactions: TheOx
PS : Does anyone know if the way they are scoring (i.e. the formula) is similar to what other insurance providers or some research papers use ?
Life360 has a feature for drive detection / drive events. This is more of parental control ('dangerous' driving) but I underlined some of their criteria values.

* Hard Braking -- Shown when the vehicle comes to an abrupt stop or hits the brakes aggressively. In terms of speed, this is roughly equal to braking hard enough to slow the vehicle by about 8 miles per hour or more in one second. Hard braking may be a sign of distracted driving or speeding.
* Rapid Acceleration -- Identifies a sudden burst of speed in a short amount of time, defined as an increase in speed of about 8 miles per hour or more in one second. Rapid acceleration can be a possible sign of reckless or distracted driving.
* High Speed -- High speed displays when the vehicle exceeds 80 mph. Over 80 mph is considered a high-risk speed. A high-speed is one that is measured for at least 30 seconds, so short bursts of speed may not be recorded in the app. At this time, the high-speed detection does not take into account the speed limit on the road that the vehicle is on at the time. We are working on providing this feature in a future update.
* Phone Usage <snip>
K-driving-events.jpg

Reactions: mltv and EVNow
Since I had to dig way back into my algebra, I thought I would share my work. I created a new worksheet that just calculates how many perfect miles you need to reach a target score.

Here is a dropbox link to the spreadsheet and a screenshot is below with the main formula if you don't want to download a file for security.

Note you need to just change the target score to whatever you are trying to reach. The formula will subtract 0.5 from that to calculate the min score needed.

1633355821870.png

Since I had to dig way back into my algebra, I thought I would share my work. I created a new worksheet that just calculates how many perfect miles you need to reach a target score.

Here is a dropbox link to the spreadsheet and a screenshot is below with the main formula if you don't want to download a file for security.

Note you need to just change the target score to whatever you are trying to reach. The formula will subtract 0.5 from that to calculate the min score needed.

View attachment 717710
Is it really that simple? I thought that the elements that went INTO the Daily Score, FCW, Hard Braking, etc., all had variable infuence in creating the overall daily score. At that point, I MIILE really isn’t a MILE. ?

Is it really that simple? I thought that the elements that went INTO the Daily Score, FCW, Hard Braking, etc., all had variable infuence in creating the overall daily score. At that point, I MIILE really isn’t a MILE. ?
I originally thought so as well, but the individual elements for the total score didn't calculate correctly. I believe a couple of us determined that the calculation only worked when averaging the rounded daily scores, not even the unrounded scores. I was able to be right at 99.51 on Friday with the daily rounded scores but much less with the unrounded scores, yet my total was rounded up. So far, this has been tracking well with the actual scoring. So, best to just get perfect 100 score miles, even if just on AP. It is only when you have to improve a safety ding within the same day that you need to work off of AP to try to lower that ding's impact.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yes it really is.

Once your daily score is determined (and rounded) that works into the overall average as Tesla describes.

How “good” a 100 score will be needed is another question. Depends on how many 100s there are!

A worksheet can also be created to target a particular fractional score using the same method, if you want to aim for a “true” 99.8, for example.

And for that, you’d only need to use the Safety Score formula for the daily score. The rest is weighting and averaging.

Yes it really is.

Once your daily score is determined (and rounded) that works into the overall average as Tesla describes.

How “good” a 100 score will be needed is another question. Depends on how many 100s there are!

A worksheet can also be created to target a particular fractional score using the same method, if you want to aim for a “true” 99.8, for example.

And for that, you’d only need to use the Safety Score formula for the daily score. The rest is weighting and averaging.
If that is the case, it really does seem like if one could, driving 1-2 perfect miles a day is all one would need.

If that is the case, it really does seem like if one could, driving 1-2 perfect miles a day is all one would need.
Not if you already have a bad score. It’s all mileage weighted.

But yes, if no other bad scores, you can do just a couple perfect miles a day. Might not qualify though - presumably there is a lower mileage limit. If you have a single FCW then you’ll have to drive a lot of miles to make up for it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighZ

If you have a 100 already, then yes, in theory, that would work. But we still don't know how Tesla will roll out across a particular score. Teslafi is ranking all the scores by mileage, so all the 100's from the highest mileage to the lowest.

Also, the most 'impactful' miles to your score are the ones that are off of AP and interacting with other cars. That is where I had the braking dings. I am super cautious until I get to the freeway and can go on AP. The weekends are the worst and will probably plan on using my wife's car for short errands since no one around me seems to be concerned about their safety score. :(

If you have a 100 already, then yes, in theory, that would work. But we still don't know how Tesla will roll out across a particular score. Teslafi is ranking all the scores by mileage, so all the 100's from the highest mileage to the lowest.

Also, the most 'impactful' miles to your score are the ones that are off of AP and interacting with other cars. That is where I had the braking dings. I am super cautious until I get to the freeway and can go on AP. The weekends are the worst and will probably plan on using my wife's car for short errands since no one around me seems to be concerned about their safety score. :(
can you post a screen shot of the top rankers? Don't have or need teslafi but am curious to see the ranking. (not curious enough to pay tho LMAO)

My original worksheet calculated the miles for a fractional target score. The formula still holds for any target score.

Total Miles * Target Score-Total Wgt Score divided by (100 - Target Score)

I figured most would be interested in just getting to the next score level, but I see your point if you are trying to get incremental buffer or if you think that Tesla will use the fractional scores for the rollout.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
That is where I had the braking dings. I am super cautious until I get to the freeway and can go on AP. The weekends are the worst and will probably plan on using my wife's car for short errands since no one around me seems to be concerned about their safety score. :(
I basically dread driving now. I want to get miles in to get a better true score (currently at 100 but not a good 100) with maybe 500 miles total, but it is basically like Russian roulette. Anything can happen, and it may be outside of my control and ability to anticipate. It’s true that most minor errors can be patched up (though not FCW which I really fear), and the incentive to do so is growing. But still, it’s terrible. Rush hour traffic is a definite no-no unless you have a love affair with AP.

I’m definitely driving more safely though, no matter what anyone argues about the disadvantages of the Safety Score.

Last edited:
So it has now been a week since I've consented to have my driving habits monitored remotely for the new Safety Score, and I'm wondering what kind of score one needs to post in order to actually be granted access to FSD Beta.

FWIW, my score is 93, and I find that I'm consistently in the "unsafe following" mode about 15-16% of the time. I'm not sure what to make of that because when I drive on the expressway I'm using AP set at 5 car lengths, which is more than I would normally do manually, and certainly more than nearly everyone else on the road.

It's kind of amazing that Tesla builds these cars with incredible performance capabilities, yet to gain access to the FSD that many of us paid for years ago we have to drive like our grandma.

Can anyone who has been granted access to FSD Beta share their experience? What was your Safety Score?

This is what is showing for the top 50. Note that not only do you need to be on Teslafi, but you need to allow access to your safety score. For some reason, my safety score disappeared from the list. There is one person at 100 with 21 miles.

View attachment 717747
🙏 Thank you...
I am holding at 99 after 1050 miles (daily use miles and not a long mile trip to game the system)

Can anyone who has been granted access to FSD Beta share their experience? What was your Safety Score?
No one has been granted access based on Safety Score that we know of, will be this Friday/Saturday at the earliest.

Elon says they are starting with scores of 100, allegedly adding 1000/day based on score, but whether that happens at that rate (seems high!) is anyone’s guess.

Personally I think if you have a score which does not ensure you are one of the first few thousand to get it, you may be waiting a very long time. But I hope I’m wrong.