Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing that is a city street - not freeway ?

I used to get FCW for winding roads in the beginning ('19 ?) - none now-a-days.
Definitely a city street. My FCW is 0.0 but my wife’s is 5.8 total and it’s that same pesky slight turn / hill crest with oncoming traffic. The alert always drives her nuts but not enough to turn on A/P just to get by it

Me 2021 Model S refresh
Her 2017 Model X FSD / MCU2 / HW3

It's a very imperfect measure. But it doesn't have to be perfect.
Except for the fact that Tesla is claiming you need a 100 to get what you paid for, and even a 99 is not acceptable.
Isn't that the very definition of needing to be "perfect"?

I just get such a kick out of the fact that they are using a highly flawed "early beta" tool using very basic measurements in order to determine who is "safest" so they can decide who gets another "early beta" entertainment device using very complex measurements that is so unsafe such that it needs to only be given to highly safe drivers.

But of course, the point of this was a distraction and a way to run a lottery/game in a way that looks like it's focused on safety, not actually identifying the safest drivers.

to get what you paid for,
People who receive the beta of FSD Beta this weekend are not getting what they paid for. Likely an NDA, consenting to ongoing monitoring, etc. will be required to participate. Don't let yourself get carried away with enthusiasm about what is happening here.

Isn't that the very definition of needing to be "perfect"?
No. I'm not sure how else to explain what selecting for 100 scores will do. Selecting people with a score of 100, selects a sample of people, whose driving performance is correlated with their score. But undoubtedly drivers exist with scores of 98 or 99 who are better than drivers with a score of 100. It is what it is. Selecting people with scores of 99 instead is likely not going to provide a better sample.

not actually identifying the safest drivers.
I think it's actually probably pretty well correlated with identifying people able to perform a certain set of tasks, consistently, except for the issues mentioned above. This has been discussed here already.

Last edited:
People who receive the beta of FSD Beta this weekend are not getting what they paid for. Likely an NDA, consenting to ongoing monitoring, etc. will be required to participate. Don't let yourself get carried away with enthusiasm here about what is happening.

No. I'm not sure how else to explain what selecting for 100 scores will do. Selecting people with a score of 100, selects a sample of people, whose driving performance is correlated with their score. But undoubtedly drivers exist with scores of 98 or 99 who are better than drivers with a score of 100. It is what it is. Selecting people with scores of 99 instead is likely not going to provide a better sample.

I think it's actually probably pretty well correlated with identifying people able to perform a certain set of tasks, consistently, except for the issues mentioned above. This has been discussed here already.
Plus, once you have a score, you open yourself to more liability if you don't start with the highest scoring people.
"Well yeah, the driver in the accident did score lower that others that were not selected for Beta FSD testing, but they were a member of TMC"

How many? I don't think we have a poll for perfect 100s. But My guess is very very few people have perfect 100s. There's no way to really understand the thresholds until you get dinged by them a couple times lol. Like who would guess that tapping the brake lightly will ding you on hard braking? Once I figured that out, i stay off the brake pedal. But had to have that first ding to know.
Between two cars, I have a few "perfect as reported by the app" (100 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0) days for 20-100 miles but keeping that up for two weeks is beyond my skills/patience.

Reactions: jebinc
I have the solution for the Safety Score, and it's simple. Just ask each participant's spouse how safe a driver the participant is on a scale of 0 to 100. We don't need any stinking algorithms! Done and accurate! :rolleyes: 😁 :rolleyes:

I'm guessing I'd be about a 27 on that scale.
Incentives are backwards:

Official statement
"My spouse is the most comfortable, safe driver I've ridden with. You should really consider him for early access."
Motivation
"He/she needs that FSD to maybe make him/her at least 1% safer."

Reactions: KArnold
Just a thought for those who think they will reach a 100 score tomorrow. I haven't seen anything indicating a cutoff time so you might want to plan your driving to get to 100 as early as possible.

It has been said that they will send an email to those who qualify and of course the Tesla team working on this needs to do the administrative work to complete the task. I would assume that if you get your 100 score at 11:55PM PT you may miss the boat. This is all speculation on my part so if anyone has solid info please weigh in. Good luck and good driving...especially if like me you are 'Dreamin' of FSD'.

Last edited:
Just a thought for those who think they will reach a 100 score tomorrow. I haven't seen anything indicating a cutoff time so you might want to plan your driving to get to 100 as early as possible.

It has been said that they will send an email to those who qualify and of course the Tesla team working on this needs to do the administrative work to complete the task. I would assume that if you get your 100 score at 11:55PM PT you may miss the boat. This all speculation on my part so if anyone has solid info please weigh in. Good luck and good driving...especially if like me you are 'Dreamin' of FSD'.
Where did you see anything about an email?

I'm admittedly wavering. I told my wife she can only be a passenger in the Tesla for 1 week (she'll DESTROY the hard braking score). Now it's 2 weeks(?) and this game is already old. Haven't told her it's another week. You guys might have less competition soon...
Look at this point you just have to decide which relationship is more important? Elon or your wife. You can’t have both. I made my choice and I’m sleeping with the car tonight, and for the next few weeks…