Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear about this a lot. I wonder if there's software/sensor lag that mis-detects the Gs of decelerating. Since there's no on-screen display for it, none of us have real-time feedback on what the system is thinking - we're even just theorizing as to whether it's taking "speed over time" and estimating Gs, or if it's actually using one of its real accelerometers.

More of a case-in-point of "it's not meant to produce perfect scores".
I wonder what the error bar is in the g sensor setup.

Weird.

I've never had that happen randomly, even once. Here's an example of a hard braking event I had October 1st, though; I removed my foot from the accelerator immediately after the light turned yellow. But I knew this event had happened before parking the vehicle! I did very very lightly feather the brakes at the very end (at 12 seconds, because I was going to roll across the crosswalk) - and that is all it took. In retrospect I should have applied them even more lightly, earlier - and should have been traveling at 40mph rather than 45. This was not an example of a yellow light I could have run - the only solution was to be doing under the limit on the hill. Hills are NOT our friends. 3% hard braking for that trip, 0.5% for the day (was not able to fully recover it to 100; didn't want to drive randomly around the neighborhood for 20 miles at 11PM, and I didn't need to).

I've had three braking events over the past three weeks, and they've all been very clear. I wouldn't have previously called them hard braking, but such is life. The first day's was the worst (yellow light I should definitely have gone through). The other two were on substantial downhill grades and involved extremely light brake application (this is one of them).

Yup.. almost all my hard breaking is being safe at yellow lights. If you didn’t want to be safe win that video you could have leaned on the go peddle to blow through the light (and hope you miss the red) and then slow down. It’s a great system.

Yup.. almost all my hard breaking is being safe at yellow lights. If you didn’t want to be safe win that video you could have leaned on the go peddle to blow through the light (and hope you miss the red) and then slow down. It’s a great system.
Same story here. trying to be good citizen and not blow through yellow lights has gotten me dinged twice for hard braking.

Safety score app working again. Sadly, still at 93.

I certainly hope this Safety Score down time won’t impact the trips taken while it’s down.. I just finished a 200+ mile trip that likely had a 100% score but can’t load the page to confirm, so I hope it won’t get lost in the ether.
Ok the app is showing my score again, and it did take into account this latest long trip - just sharing this with others who are also out and about this afternoon, we‘re all good!

Reactions: Skateboardgolf
how do you guys do 100? ive been bouncing at 97-98 with several 100 score days im never gonna get the SW.....I wonder how many 100 score there are.. i keep getting dinged because of traffic on multi lane roads in rush hour saying im following to closely (im not) and Ive pulled back pretty far that the people behind me are getting mad . everything else is green!... well let me know how the FSD 10.2 is maybe i'll get it by xmas.

how do you guys do 100? ive been bouncing at 97-98 with several 100 score days im never gonna get the SW.....I wonder how many 100 score there are.. i keep getting dinged because of traffic on multi lane roads in rush hour saying im following to closely (im not) and Ive pulled back pretty far that the people behind me are getting mad . everything else is green!... well let me know how the FSD 10.2 is maybe i'll get it by xmas.

Score is back up 😇

E08AB1C9-A430-483C-9A43-2E746E1A8A99.png

Reactions: dcesq06
Lots of driving with plenty of space between u and other cars over 50 mph
I put 856 miles during the testing

everything else is green!
Don't look at the colors. Look at the numbers and (more importantly) their effect on the score.

The colors mean nothing. You can have green 1.4% hard braking taking you to 97. Or you can have yellow unsafe following at 15% taking you to ...100. Or 25% (red) taking you to 99.
saying im following to closely

It's not the following that is hurting you if you're at 97-98. The worst unsafe following at 60% can give you is a 99 assuming no other detrimental factors.

You can worry about unsafe following later but as long as you keep it below 5% it's really not a concern. (And it's really easy to get it below 1%.) Just spend 5-10 minutes off of AP following at a reasonable distance of 2-3 seconds.

Last edited: