Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering what kind of score one needs to post in order to actually be granted access to FSD Beta.
AFAIK, Tesla hasn't announced a hard cut-off score. My suspicion is that there isn't one; they'll simply enroll the cars with the highest scores first, wait a while, enroll another batch with lower scores (and presumably also new cars with higher scores, or cars with scores that have improved), and so on until they have enough beta testers. I have no evidence to back this up, but it seems logical, because at this point, Tesla needs more data to feed into its neural-net algorithms and they need to do this in a controlled way. Remember that this wider beta is intended to help Tesla produce a "finished" product (that they'll probably still call a "beta"), not to reward its customers or deliver the finished product for which we've paid. Satisfying those goals will come later, and depend upon getting the data they need from the wide-beta testing.
FWIW, my score is 93, and I find that I'm consistently in the "unsafe following" mode about 15-16% of the time. I'm not sure what to make of that because when I drive on the expressway I'm using AP set at 5 car lengths, which is more than I would normally do manually, and certainly more than nearly everyone else on the road.
As I understand it, your Autopilot following distance is irrelevant. When you're on Autopilot, if I understand correctly, the only thing that counts against you is if Autopilot thinks you're not paying attention and so disengages.

The unsafe-following metric is supposed to apply when you're traveling over 50 mph with Autopilot disengaged. The percentage is probably the percentage of time you're following too close when those conditions are met. Thus, if you merge onto an Interstate manually, then engage Autopilot and travel 100 miles on an Interstate at 70 mph without disengaging Autopilot until you exit the Interstate, the only time you'll be judged for your following distance is when you're merging onto the Interstate before engaging Autopilot and after you disengage Autopilot while exiting the Interstate. That's probably just a few seconds of travel time. Those times, of course, you may end up merging into a narrow gap or approach the car in front when you exit, so it's easy to get heavily dinged in the algorithm. At least, that's my understanding, and it seems to be consistent with what people are reporting.

I've seen suggestions that people engage Autopilot early (before getting up to 50 mph on the on-ramp) and disengage late (after Autopilot takes the off-ramp and gets below 50 mph). I don't think this is a good idea on a crowded highway because Autopilot does a poor job at merging in heavy traffic, in my experience. IMHO, it's better to just not stress too much about this. Remember that this evaluation is for access to a beta-test program. If you paid for FSD, then you'll get it eventually -- maybe a little bit later if your score is below 100, but it'll happen. Those who get into the wide beta have an awesome responsibility: To monitor software that can kill people. I understand it's a shiny new technology, but the more important thing to remember is that it's a dangerous new technology that comes with a huge dollop of responsibility.
Can anyone who has been granted access to FSD Beta share their experience? What was your Safety Score?
AFAIK, nobody has yet been granted access, except for those who have already been on it for a while as part of the Early Access program.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have maintained 100 since day one, but due to an imaginary FCW my daily score today dropped to 71 and overall is now 99!! I repeatedly checked the recording for the short (2 mile) segment where this supposedly happened and cannot identify a single issue which would've been identified as a forward collision.
I am extremely frustrated!!!
That is disappointing, but depending on your total mileage, you may not be far from 99.5, which is essentially a 100.

I have maintained 100 since day one, but due to an imaginary FCW my daily score today dropped to 71 and overall is now 99!! I repeatedly checked the recording for the short (2 mile) segment where this supposedly happened and cannot identify a single issue which would've been identified as a forward collision.
I think it is optimal to keep your mileage today to a minimum. If you can’t do that, I believe the optimum is about 160 miles today. I’m not sure about this - I’d need to plug it into the formula and find the minimum for “total miles to drive” to get to 100. It’s kind of a weird formula because it depends on how FCW is capped in the score. Anyway I think basically in most reasonable cases you have to drive at least 400 miles perfectly to salvage the situation.

It’s not practical to fix it on a single day - I think that works out to 500 miles or so required anyway.

Welcome to our world - many of us have received multiple FCW for no apparent reasons and are struggling to get back into the 90's. Count yourself lucky... at least for the time being...

Reactions: mltv and Ramphex
I think it is optimal to keep your mileage today to a minimum. If you can’t do that, I believe the optimum is about 160 miles today. I’m not sure about this - I’d need to plug it into the formula and find the minimum for “total miles to drive” to get to 100. It’s kind of a weird formula because it depends on how FCW is capped in the score. Anyway I think basically in most reasonable cases you have to drive at least 400 miles perfectly to salvage the situation.

It’s not practical to fix it on a single day - I think that works out to 500 miles or so required anyway.
Why is it optimal to keep my miles to a minimum today? I was actually thinking of doing a longer drive later tonight in a safe area to try to increase the daily score.

TeslaFi just updated their Leaderboard page to split out the Safety Scores. Now you can see all scores. Last one on the list is 56%. It is also creating a Total Score which is your safety score x your mileage. Not sure if that is what Tesla would do, but it would allow 99 x lots of miles to be higher than 100 x low miles.
Interesting. Updated leaderboard attached. It would be curious if mileage plays such a role or not. Logically, you would think so.

Attachments

• TeslaFi Leaderboard Updated2.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Since I had to dig way back into my algebra, I thought I would share my work. I created a new worksheet that just calculates how many perfect miles you need to reach a target score.

Here is a dropbox link to the spreadsheet and a screenshot is below with the main formula if you don't want to download a file for security.

Note you need to just change the target score to whatever you are trying to reach. The formula will subtract 0.5 from that to calculate the min score needed.

View attachment 717710

This is awesome thanks for sharing!

Reactions: HighZ
Why is it optimal to keep my miles to a minimum today? I was actually thinking of doing a longer drive later tonight in a safe area to try to increase the daily score.

A low mileage day will weigh down the overall score less than a higher mileage one. If you have low miles, it might be better to live with the low score. If you want to raise the low score, you have to do a lot of driving. Not enough driving means a mediocre score with a higher weight. Basically, there's a minimum amount of miles you have to drive before adding miles actually improves your overall score, and that distance is quite far.

A low mileage day will weigh down the overall score less than a higher mileage one. If you have low miles, it might be better to live with the low score. If you want to raise the low score, you have to do a lot of driving. Not enough driving means a mediocre score with a higher weight. Basically, there's a minimum amount of miles you have to drive before adding miles actually improves your overall score, and that distance is quite far.
Gotta love Tesla for gamifying driving! All this time on Score Strategy.