Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd actually be ok with the ability to opt-in/opt-out on a drive-by-drive basis (and it may be possible already). This obviously has major issues as well (you might only be getting data from people on certain types of driving), but it's not as egregious as clearing out driver-inattention mistakes whenever they happen. Opt-in/opt-out would be best paired with some sort of minimum number of non-negligible trips (say more than 2 miles) or minimum mileage requirements because that would create an incentive to mostly stay opted in.

I think its not only possible now, but it could possibly be required legally.

Like lets say a married couple owned a Tesla with FSD, and it was their only car.

One of them really wants the FSD Beta, and the other stubbornly refuses that foolishness. So the one who wants the FSD beta opts in, and agrees to the data collection. But, the spouse doesn't so every time the spouse drives the car they opt out.

Hopefully Tesla simply has different driver profiles, and requires a minimum safety score + miles to enable it on a driver profile. That way people don't have to keep opt-ing out, and opt-ing back in.

Opting out also might harm where a person is in the queue as that would likely reset, but their safety score wouldn't reset.

Long term I don't see the safety score really mattering much as any bad day would be purged in 30 days.

Different profiles could also be used for Track mode where obviously a person doesn't need FSD Beta operational for.

View attachment 719731
1435 miles to go because of that one day with false FCW lololol, this will never happen.

That was also like day 2 of the games, wish I knew about the reset trick. This sugar being beta seems impossible to get 100 without some sort of cheating: resets, park the car, parking lot turns, etc
Where did you get that app? I wanna know how many more miles I need to achieve 100

Victory! (For now...) TLDR: I made it to 100 and you can too ... eventually. It's difficult and frustrating; you might not want to deal with this headache.

After several days of imperfect scores, because of not knowing, (98, 97) and because of learning, (96, 98) I figured out how to got 100 scores. It was stressful and it sucked. So I started modifying my driving behavior to make it easier to get perfect scores.

I mounted my phone to the dash and got a G Sensor app so I can practice turning harder (!) to get more "good" turning. I practice breaking earlier and gentler. - I think these two things have made me a safer driver.

My following score is still a bit of a problem. Right now I've taken to following trucks on the highway when I used to constantly seek out the gaps between packs. Also, I follow them closer than what I'd like to get "good" following time. Or I just turn on Autopilot and hope it doesn't mess up too much. I think I can fix this by making my own radar and having it play a gentle noise when I start to get too close or too far. Luckily I got a radar kit in the mail just last week! (Maybe someone else had the same idea? HackerBox #0071 - Ranger ) - I don't know if this is safer, but I think it does encourage me to be constantly attentive, so that's a thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Being between packs of cars on the highway it gets tempting to just look out the window and enjoy the drive. I do miss that.

Getting from 99 to 100 was bonkers! - It just took SO MUCH DRIVING - When I got to 99 I had driven about 900 miles. It took about 1,400 miles to get to a rounded "perfect" overall score. Nine hundred of that was over the last two days! I didn't quite make it by Friday night. I hope I'll get to be in the roll-out when it happens, and I selfishly love that it was delayed, maybe I'll get it too.

Lots of people are asking: Why? This is crazy, why play this stupid game? -- I'll tell you my reasons, but I don't expect you to agree or care. I wrote this part for me. ;-) Your reasons and your choice are yours.

One, I can; and I want to be special. I don't have kids. My wife and I both work hard and live comfortably, but we're not rich. We've moved across country twice in the last 15 years. I don't have friends like I used to, maybe that's part of growing up, but it sucks. I love open source software, technology, and kindness. I volunteer with a First Robotics Team, and try to teach high school students to build robots, but I have a lot to learn myself! I'd LOVE to help get FSD done so everyone can have it. I want to be involved in something this cool, even if it's in a really minor way.

Two, I want to stop being grumpy! I've already put 80,000 miles on my 2018 Model S 100D - They say the battery lasts 200,000 to 400,000 miles depending on how you treat it. I'd like to experience, and use, FSD for as many of those miles as I can. It's absurd that the software license isn't currently transferable. Imagine if FSD takes another two or three years to complete and my car is all worn out and not-cool anymore. Some of you who got 2016 cars with FSD hardware know all too well what I mean, those cars are 5 years old now and they still aren't FSD cars -- if your in those shoes and still in a good mood, I suspect you're deluding your self or your truly fanatical and therefore are not being rational. -- Sorry! -- I was happy to get software updates when I first got my car, I enjoyed participating in this journey. But then (I imagine) the suits and lawyers finally got there way and we stopped getting real updates. It feels like we got pushed out of the process. (Except for 2,000 people!?!?!?) I'll accept a stupid safety score if it means I can get let back in to the party.

Three, I really do want to be a better driver. A friend of my family went his whole life never getting so much as pulled over. No tickets, no accidents, no fender benders, nothing. Compared to him, I'm at best, a mediocre, driver. But it doesn't have to stay that way. I don't enjoy 'gamification" but who does, it's not _really_ a game. Games are fun. This is stressful, and frustrating. It's the results that I'm after.

Finally, autopilot is wonderfully useful; and it still sucks. If I can nudge the Tesla AI team towards fixing the things that drive me crazy day after day, that would be wonderful. And when my car is fully self driving, I'll be able to sleep on my commute, or whatever. Basically my final reason is pure self interest.

So make your own decision. Are you in? Or are you going to wait?

Sunday night is not confirmed. Depending on where he is in the world, it could be Sunday just after midnight, but he doesn’t count it as “tomorrow” until he wakes up, meaning the tomorrow could refer to Tuesday.
We used to understand Elon Time meant two more weeks. So now we need to say Two More Weeks Plus or Minus One Day Depending on Where He Is?

We used to understand Elon Time meant two more weeks. So now we need to say Two More Weeks Plus or Minus One Day Depending on Where He Is?
From what I could find, tweets are time stamped with the current clock time of the device. So I guess his phone or computer could be set to either CA or TX time. In either case, it would have been Sunday for him, and tomorrow would be Monday, assuming he's in CA or TX.

Einstein said that's not possible so I think the answer is "no". Seriously, General Relativity is based on the idea that you cannot distinguish between gravity and acceleration.
Einstein said you can’t tell the difference between gravity and acceleration , if you are in a box with no windows. In fact, your car has GPS and could, in principle, know exactly what is going on. Or, if it has a tilt sensor it would know it is going downhill and could calculate exactly how much of the acceleration is from gravity