Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I constantly get dinged by a downhill near my house that I cannot avoid, I have resorted to resetting once I pass it.
Stats shows me that if I drive 284 miles perfectly, I can raise my 97 up to 98. Do miles using auto pilot count for that 284, or is it only miles used with auto pilot not engaged? Thank you for your answer.
Miles on AP count, the only thing AP won't do is bring down your dings (need to do manual driving for that). If you drive all day on AP and get 100 score with 100 miles you're solid. But if you start the day with some dings and drive rest of the day on AP those dings won't decrease.

Hard braking is just heart breaking.

Last night I planned to go on a short drive (about three miles) to the gym. Shortly after I left the house, I realized I forgot my water bottle; since I had just left, I figured I would just turn around to get the bottle.
In the roundabout, I saw a stupid squirrel standing in the middle of the road; I slow down (using the brake pedal - you can see the car is hardly slowing down) and honked the horn to scare him out of the road. (see videos - do you see the squirrel?) (hint, it's only visible in the front and left camera)

I didn't even think to consider that a hard braking event (going barely 15-20 miles an hour), however once I got home I instinctively checked my SS. To my surprise I scored 78 (7.4% hard breaking) on that one mile drive. What?!
I was a little upset, however on my way to the gym I did several regen slowdowns to bring my score back up; now I was sitting on a 4-mile drive and a 96. F***!!
On the 3-mile back, I did several accelerate to 60 and slow down to 20 regen events, only to find out that my score got only back up to 99.
To get back to 100 and recover from that heart breaking event it took an additional 10 miles of constant accelerate to 60 slow down to 20, over and over and over.

Attachments

• IMG_5059.PNG
    IMG_5059.PNG
    227.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5060.PNG
    IMG_5060.PNG
    227.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Informative
Reactions: GargantulaKon
Welcome to my life, my daily score today is 76 because I did some mild to moderate braking for a yellow light on a 6 lane 4 way intersection. Should've just blown it according to Tesla's Safety Score :D

Easiest way to recover is to crank it up to like 80-100mph and then light hold ride out the brakes to increase "time braking" to dilute the hard braking.

Hard braking is just heart breaking.

Last night I planned to go on a short drive (about three miles) to the gym. Shortly after I left the house, I realized I forgot my water bottle; since I had just left, I figured I would just turn around to get the bottle.
In the roundabout, I saw a stupid squirrel standing in the middle of the road; I slow down (using the brake pedal - you can see the car is hardly slowing down) and honked the horn to scare him out of the road. (see videos - do you see the squirrel?) (hint, it's only visible in the front and left camera)

I didn't even think to consider that a hard braking event (going barely 15-20 miles an hour), however once I got home I instinctively checked my SS. To my surprise I scored 78 (7.4% hard breaking) on that one mile drive. What?!
I was a little upset, however on my way to the gym I did several regen slowdowns to bring my score back up; now I was sitting on a 4-mile drive and a 96. F***!!
On the 3-mile back, I did several accelerate to 60 and slow down to 20 regen events, only to find out that my score got only back up to 99.
To get back to 100 and recover from that heart breaking event it took an additional 10 miles of constant accelerate to 60 slow down to 20, over and over and over.
You should be thankful, for many of us - we've never recovered from an invisible Forward Collision Warning...

Good question.
Don’t know why they’d make it a 30-day window if they were not going to continue to observe scores.

It does seem that they want at least 7 days of data and 100 miles. (To be safe I’d ensure at least seven days with non-zero driving distance.)

I think they are continuing to observe scores. They may periodically take a “snapshot” of scores for a rollout occurring a couple days later, but after that rollout I would guess any new scores apply.

So for example the first Sunday night rollout may have been based on scores through last Friday, the continuation of the first round based on scores through Tuesday, and maybe the second round next Friday (if it happens) will be based on scores through next Wednesday.

That gives them time to get signoff on the size of the expansion, and do any additional vetting (exclude people on Tesla’s naughty list or whatever).

Just completely guessing though!

Last edited:
Good question.
I’ve a question about this in the other thread.

BTW, does anyone know whether Tesla took a new snapshot of safety scores or used the one from last week for the Yorker Beta rollout yesterday ?

If they took a new snapshot - that’s probably what they will do for 99 scorers next week.

Are the score locked in or are we going to be monitor another week
Probably not since I got mine yesterday on a 100 that I earned after last Friday's Snapshot. Tesla must have taken a new Snapshot Thursday (Oct 14) sometime. In all likelihood they will take another Snapshot at some (unknown) time next week provided they add 99s then.

Because I constantly get dinged by a downhill near my house that I cannot avoid, I have resorted to resetting once I pass it.
Stats shows me that if I drive 284 miles perfectly, I can raise my 97 up to 98. Do miles using auto pilot count for that 284, or is it only miles used with auto pilot not engaged? Thank you for your answer.
I went through the same nonsense, downhill to go anywhere, I literally had to take it at 5-10 mph to avoid any dings.

Welcome to my life, my daily score today is 76 because I did some mild to moderate braking for a yellow light on a 6 lane 4 way intersection. Should've just blown it according to Tesla's Safety Score :D

Easiest way to recover is to crank it up to like 80-100mph and then light hold ride out the brakes to increase "time braking" to dilute the hard braking.
Yeah, yellow lights are a real problem. Assuming there is no car in front of you, do you accelerate to make the light, or light off and GOD FORBID BRAKE to stop before the intersection. This exercise I think is making us all WORSE drivers.