Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been asked, but if you opt out and then opt in again, do you start with a fresh score?

Also I’ve seen some contradictory comments on the hard braking and wasn’t totally clear on how it works. Some folks are saying that you can help fix your score by going 70 and then lightly pressing the brake back down to 20. Isn’t that going to be hard braking? I’ve gotten dinged just for regenerative braking so I don’t see how you can manually brake on top of regen braking without getting dinged.

Also do multiple 100 days increase your score if you aren’t fixing the individual metrics that caused the penalty? As an example, I got unsafe following one day and don’t have a lot of opportunities to drive over 50 where I live, so the unsafe following just stays the same. Is it getting diluted by the 100 days despite staying the same on my main safety score page?

Thanks for any help.

Apologies if this has already been asked, but if you opt out and then opt in again, do you start with a fresh score?

Also I’ve seen some contradictory comments on the hard braking and wasn’t totally clear on how it works. Some folks are saying that you can help fix your score by going 70 and then lightly pressing the brake back down to 20. Isn’t that going to be hard braking? I’ve gotten dinged just for regenerative braking so I don’t see how you can manually brake on top of regen braking without getting dinged.

Also do multiple 100 days increase your score if you aren’t fixing the individual metrics that caused the penalty? As an example, I got unsafe following one day and don’t have a lot of opportunities to drive over 50 where I live, so the unsafe following just stays the same. Is it getting diluted by the 100 days despite staying the same on my main safety score page?

Thanks for any help.
The key is to get up to a higher speed so regen isn't as strong, then lightly hold the brake pedal, just enough to turn on the brake lights in the visualizer..... then ride it out as long as you can. It will increase total braking time which will then change the hard braking ratio. Let's say you brake hard for 10 seconds out of 30 seconds of braking that's 10/30 or 1/3 of the time braking. Now if you do a bunch of light brakes and change that to 100 seconds it'll be 10/100 which is 1/10 and much less than 1/3

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS

Thanks for any help.

Get yourself a g-force sensor app on your phone. To reduce hard braking, you need to spend as much time as possible between 0.1g and 0.3g deceleration. This time serves as your denominator. the numerator ideally is zero, but whatever time you spent above 0.3g is your numerator. The resulting fraction is your hard braking percentage.

So it doesn't matter if you soft brake from 70-20, or you just decelerate on a flat using regen from 15 to zero. Stay between 0.1 and 0.3g. Mileage does not help reduce hard braking. Same with hard cornering and unsafe following. these are all time-based fractions.

My tactic WAS, break up a drive with longer segments into pieces.. so if I do 40-50 miles before getting to the city, maybe pull over safely, get out, let car lock, then get back in and continue the drive. This BANKS the trip segment that you have completed succesfully. Then, do the next segment that you are confident in that you don't have any issues with.

What this gets you is drive credit, hopefully at 100% and then BOINK the car when you have a FCW, or FTC or something like that, and hopefully those miles will be few but at least compartmentalized to the smaller or individual segment.

The worst scenario is doing 40-50 miles, THEN having 1 second of negative and either having that flow through to your score or having to decide to BOINK all those miles that were done at 100%.
Made this mistake yesterday and broke my 50-mile segment rule. Decided to drive 100 miles at night so traffic on highway was low and as I pulled off my exit to head home, I turned off AP and slowed down (it’s a freshly paved exit with no lane lines so NoA takes it too fast/late). At the same second I did this I got a FCW from nothing.

Didn’t know if it would ding me or if AP was on when it happened, but I didn’t want to risk it so I did scroll wheel reset to delete the drive. Sucks as it was a waste of two hours. Drove another 200 miles today and still need 493 before Friday. Really can’t wait until Friday so I won’t have to do this anymore lol, it’s getting a little ridiculous.

This might just be the dumbest thing I've ever involved myself in, but I finally got my score up to 98.57 which rounds to 99.

This is after driving 198 miles yesterday to go look at some property, and driving 179 miles today to explore a part of Bellingham that I had never been to before.

I'm not even sure why I did it. Maybe it was simply because it was doable as I was at 97 a few days ago, and that I started out at around 82 after the first day. Maybe it was just missing out even though there is ample evidence that I'm not missing out on much.

Why did any of us put ourselves through this?

It's not about safety, but about driving for the safety score.

I dreaded being cut off, and purposely used AP in busy sections where I felt it was likely despite that being the opposite of what I normally do.
I dreaded needing to get over as that's when the following closely will tick up so I used AP to change lanes

On undivided roads when someone cut across I had to either risk getting a FCW or risk hard braking. I knew hard braking could be fixed so I always braked a bit more than I normally would have just to make sure I didn't get a FCW.

So many things I did differently, and felt like an idiot. Like I was behind a car on the freeway that suddenly slowed down to 60 in the left lane, and the right lane traffic was catching up slowly. Normally I'd just use the ample space to speed up, and get in the right lane to pass without cutting off anyone in the right lane. But, I couldn't do that and instead just had to sit there way back as the person in front of me sorted out whatever was going on and got back up to speed.

I drove way more manually without the assistance of TACC, and AP than I have since 2014 (before my first vehicle with TACC).

Thanks for any help.

I tried the opt-out/in cycle in an attempt to get rid of my first days score, but it didn't work.

You absolutely can fix hard braking as long as you do so on the first day. The rule of thumb to remember is to keep it less than 6 miles per second of loss of speed. I tended to modulate a lot between 5mph.

As I understand it individual metrics don't matter outside of the day they happen.

My tactic WAS, break up a drive with longer segments into pieces.. so if I do 40-50 miles before getting to the city, maybe pull over safely, get out, let car lock, then get back in and continue the drive. This BANKS the trip segment that you have completed succesfully. Then, do the next segment that you are confident in that you don't have any issues with.

What this gets you is drive credit, hopefully at 100% and then BOINK the car when you have a FCW, or FTC or something like that, and hopefully those miles will be few but at least compartmentalized to the smaller or individual segment.

The worst scenario is doing 40-50 miles, THEN having 1 second of negative and either having that flow through to your score or having to decide to BOINK all those miles that were done at 100%.

Yesterday I tried breaking up a drive by putting it in park at the first stop light I got to after a long drive. But, that didn't break it up.

I probably needed to open, and close the door as well.

Dragged my score up to 98, not sure if I have it in me to spend a couple of the forthcoming nights adding enough miles to get to 99 by Friday…
Yesterday I tried breaking up a drive by putting it in park at the first stop light I got to after a long drive. But, that didn't break it up.

I probably needed to open, and close the door as well.
Yeah you might need to get out as well. Today I had an extra few minutes waiting in my car so I tried exploring this briefly. I lifted myself off the seat sensor without opening the door and that wasn’t sufficient for sure. Getting out helped though. I didn’t try the last option of opening the door but not leaving haha

Get yourself a g-force sensor app on your phone. To reduce hard braking, you need to spend as much time as possible between 0.1g and 0.3g deceleration. This time serves as your denominator. the numerator ideally is zero, but whatever time you spent above 0.3g is your numerator. The resulting fraction is your hard braking percentage.

So it doesn't matter if you soft brake from 70-20, or you just decelerate on a flat using regen from 15 to zero. Stay between 0.1 and 0.3g. Mileage does not help reduce hard braking. Same with hard cornering and unsafe following. these are all time-based fractions.
Regen for me does not dilute hard braking. It’s also not adjustable on the refresh.

Dragged my score up to 98, not sure if I have it in me to spend a couple of the forthcoming nights adding enough miles to get to 99 by Friday…

Yeah you might need to get out as well. Today I had an extra few minutes waiting in my car so I tried exploring this briefly. I lifted myself off the seat sensor without opening the door and that wasn’t sufficient for sure. Getting out helped though. I didn’t try the last option of opening the door but not leaving haha
The door does it, that’s how I break up my drives into segments to make sure my stats are up to par with this game 😅😅

Regen doesn't count and segments is fine, your new trips with light braking should balance out the overall day
Regen absolutely DOES count if you generate G forces over the threshold. I never use my brake pedal and have triggered hard braking on several trips where I never touched the physical pedal. You just have to slowly let off the accelerator. Ironically, AP/NoA brakes super hard - just ask my wife, she hates when I use AP because it will go flying toward a traffic jam and only brake at the last few seconds.

Reactions: GargantulaKon
Regen absolutely DOES count if you generate G forces over the threshold. I never use my brake pedal and have triggered hard braking on several trips where I never touched the physical pedal. You just have to slowly let off the accelerator. Ironically, AP/NoA brakes super hard - just ask my wife, she hates when I use AP because it will go flying toward a traffic jam and only brake at the last few seconds.
Interesting, does not work for me in the 2021 MSLR. I’ve driven around a bunch trying to dilute the hard braking with regen when I was out and about, maybe like two weeks ago, and nothing. That’s when I figured out the speed up to over 70 then light hold the pedal (just enough for brake lights to come on) and it worked like a charm for me.

What car do you have?

Could definitely relate to the AP braking. If AP had a safety score that sugar would be under 50 daily just for the braking part 😅😅

7C5EAF6A-493E-4168-81D9-8D5BE6E184A8.png
After 1965 miles to claw my way back from some early missteps, I’m finally at 100.

Wait so with the next rollout it will be based on the initial 7 days? Do you have confirmation from Musk or something? So no point in continuing for perfect score?

If we opt and and back in will it ignore prior initial lock and start over?
I think it is looking at your all-inclusive score. The tweet posed earlier was asking if the car was somehow logging data before you pressed "the button." Elon, with that tweet, confirmed that the tracking starts after the button is pressed.

Tesla had earlier confirmed that it takes at least seven days of data to have a chance for the beta software, and later confirmed that you must have at least 100 miles total driven with the score active to be considered.

Finally, we know that Tesla is looking at cumulative scores, because people who did not have 100% at the time of the first release continued to improve their scores and if they reached 100% before the second release, they were included then.

This Friday (10/22) is the time when people with 99% or better will receive the beta software. I know that many people have improved their scores in the last two weeks up to 99% (me included). We'll find out at the end of the week if that was sufficient.

We also know that Tesla is only looking at the prior 30 days maximum. So anyone who has a bad early score(s) as they tried to figure things out, will probably get the software at the following release (after 10/22, assuming two weeks between release), as their initial scores age out as they get over 30 days old.