Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember Elon saying a few versions back the next one was a big jump and that he was running it on his car. Guessing the NTSB would balk at them releasing a test version to thousands of cars on public roads without some internal testing.
NTSB probably balks at them now for releasing beta versions. They think the correct way to do this is to release 5 year old software and charge $100 for map updates.

When you have a release cycle of 2 weeks - there isn't much time for formal internal testing. Its possible they have daily builds that everyone in the team and dedicated testers use every day - in which case its all being tested daily. But, they may do a NN wide retraining - which could cause issues (like with 10.2) that delays the release. We don't know what they are doing in 10.3.

..................................................When you have a release cycle of 2 weeks - there isn't much time for formal internal testing. Its possible they have daily builds that everyone in the team and dedicated testers use every day - in which case its all being tested daily. But, they may do a NN wide retraining - which could cause issues (like with 10.2) that delays the release. We don't know what they are doing in 10.3.
Linked and shown below is a current Tesla test driver ad but these ads have been posted for the last year or more and I assume there are already drivers in place in various cities.

We are NOT the bleeding edge test pilots driving the Alpha versions, but sometimes it feels like we are.

Link - https://www.glassdoor.com/Jobs/Tesla-test-driver-Jobs-EI_IE43129.0,5_KO6,17.htm?filter.countryId=1

1634926641176.png

Last edited:
NTSB probably balks at them now for releasing beta versions. They think the correct way to do this is to release 5 year old software and charge $100 for map updates.

When you have a release cycle of 2 weeks - there isn't much time for formal internal testing. Its possible they have daily builds that everyone in the team and dedicated testers use every day - in which case its all being tested daily. But, they may do a NN wide retraining - which could cause issues (like with 10.2) that delays the release. We don't know what they are doing in 10.3.
I know Elon was running version 10 for at least a week before the closed beta testers were running it.

I have a serious medical condition that if I don't make enemies I could die . So here you go,

1. If you are hard braking then you are a bad driver. If you hit someone then you are a bad driver.

2. If you are driving too slow on an open road you are a bad driver. If you are too fast you are a bad driver.

3. If you don't understand any of the above you REALLY ARE a bad driver.

4. It is time for you to go to drivers training and retrain yourself. Learning should not have to end with a license.

5. Hard acceleration is Hard braking's first cousin. If you make babies with your cousin bad things might happen. But if you just having fun with her, use protection.

6. Spending money on a fast car doesn't give someone the right to go fast. Speed is controlled by LAW while acceleration is not .

7. Cutting in front of a car : All the contestants of miss universe/ world wanted world peace. Everyone wants others to be peaceful not themselves to be peaceful. If each person becomes peaceful the world becomes peaceful.

8. No-one has the right to drive, its a privilege which can and will eventually be taken away. Your freedom is up to the tip of my nose and mine is up to the tip of your nose.It should not go beyond that so that everyone can enjoy their individual "freedoms".

9. I am fully aware that I paid 10k for an "experimental" software. I have no right of access to their beta versions. I am thankful that they are providing early access.

Amazing ! Now I can breathe. I think I am gonna live !

I have a serious medical condition that if I don't make enemies I could die . So here you go,

1. If you are hard braking then you are a bad driver. If you hit someone then you are a bad driver.

2. If you are driving too slow on an open road you are a bad driver. If you are too fast you are a bad driver.

3. If you don't understand any of the above you REALLY ARE a bad driver.

4. It is time for you to go to drivers training and retrain yourself. Learning should not have to end with a license.

5. Hard acceleration is Hard braking's first cousin. If you make babies with your cousin bad things might happen. But if you just having fun with her, use protection.

6. Spending money on a fast car doesn't give someone the right to go fast. Speed is controlled by LAW while acceleration is not .

7. Cutting in front of a car : All the contestants of miss universe/ world wanted world peace. Everyone wants others to be peaceful not themselves to be peaceful. If each person becomes peaceful the world becomes peaceful.

8. No-one has the right to drive, its a privilege which can and will eventually be taken away. Your freedom is up to the tip of my nose and mine is up to the tip of your nose.It should not go beyond that so that everyone can enjoy their individual "freedoms".

9. I am fully aware that I paid 10k for an "experimental" software. I have no right of access to their beta versions. I am thankful that they are providing early access.

Amazing ! Now I can breathe. I think I am gonna live !
Not even sure if this is serious or not 😅😅

I started using Tesla's Safety Score system a few weeks ago after pushing the "Button". Excited to use it and create a 100% Safety Score everyday but I have come to the realization that if you live in a populated area like So. California, it can not be done no matter how cautious and safe you drive.

As examples:
1) Yesterday I was doing 40mph on a 50 mph speed limit, two lane road. No one was behind me. Up to this point I was 100% for the day but then an on coming car made a quick left turn in front of me to enter a side road. My 3 made a loud Forward Collision Warning even though we were not going to hit. The only hit that day was my Safety Score. It dropped to 99% because of something I could not have avoided.

2) While driving on the right, slow lane on the freeway giving a good distance between me and the car in front (Don't want to get a Safety Score hit for following too close) as a speeding car enters the freeway from the on ramp decides to cross in front of me to get to a faster lane on my left. Once again, a hit on my Safety Score for driving too close. I no longer drive in the far right lane. But in California drivers will cross quickly in front to get to another lane creating another following too close hit on the Safety Score. I now drive closer to the car I'm following but that doesn't seem to stop some drivers from trying to cut in front creating a hit on the Safety Score. For me this has been the most hits on my score because no matter how safe or cautious I drive, there are fools out there in such a hurry for which I can not control.

3) I was stopped at a red light. The light turned green, I started across the intersection when a pick up ran a red light. I jammed on the brakes. Once again, the only thing that took a big hit that day was my Safety Score.

I am giving up the stress regarding Tesla's Safety Score because the fun of driving my3 has been taking away by the anxiety of trying to keep a perfect 100% score.

Now, I do think trying to create a perfect Safety Score has made me a better driver and I will continue on that path but no more worrying about a score that I cannot control 100%.

I hear ya about populated areas. I am in the D.C. area and have similar issues.

The forward collision alert is one of the bigger killers on score that can't be fixed easily. The only way to fix it is to drive a lot of miles...but then that either takes too long and/or increases your risk of getting more FCA's or the other hits to score.

Hard braking can be fixed during the same day fairly easily, especially when not on the highway, but you still increase risk of getting hit on other things.

Unsafe following is a pain because it doesn't count any driving that you aren't within something like 3 seconds of the vehicle in front of you which kills you with volume traffic because it is likely anyone cutting in front of you will break into your lane less than 1 second in front of you. The fix is to not "follow" ANYONE but you get killed there if someone does cut too close in front of you because then you not have 100% unsafe following. Then you have to fix that by starting to follow people, which then increases your risk of more people cutting in, FCA's, and hard braking.

Lots of nice catch 22's.

Too all those complaining about people opting out and back in I say this. Most of the metrics are unfair depending on situation/scenario. Specifically FCA is the most unfair because of the increased incidence of someone turning in front of you when in very populated surface streets. It has a very overweight effect on your score especially if your FCA's are from people jumping out in front of you.

Personally if anyone has a score above 90% I think anyone could consider them a "safe" driver so personally I don't have a problem with them wanting to reset their score because of things that could very well be out of their control for the most part. If it was easier to fix things then I would think differently but the reason most people are opting in to the safety score is SPECIFICALLY to get the FSD Beta. If you did it for the FSD Beta and you have a score of 98% but you use the spreadsheet and it says it's going to take you 3k miles to get back to 100%, what do you expect people to do. Now if the idea was that you had to have a 100% score over 30 days I would think differently as well but we are seeing people that opt out and back in, do their 100 miles for 100% and then get the Beta in 2 days...that is an every person for themselves environment.

Seeing that you're in LA, too....what % of drivers do you think are "bad drivers" based on hard braking? I feel like most people here often brake harder than .3g.
Well , let me open this can of worms slowly and relish... Most people in LA won't pass a driving test outside the United States . How about that for a can of worms :D

For those with 99 I wouldn't EXPECT Beta tomorrow. It may happen but that is not what Musk's Tweet says.

Musk: "Maybe next week[release of 10.3]. We’d like to get to 10.3 before expanding the beta."

That makes it sound like 10.3 will only be rolled out to existing 100 people ???

"IF" that's then I'm going to opt out and then back in a second time until it is expanded to new 100 and possibly 99 people.

I went out in the middle of the night on the freeway and ran up about 80 miles to get my 99 score up to 100, JIC there is an expanded roll and esp if it's only 100.

I had 97 this morning .
1) I opted out around 9AM.
2) Around 9:15AM the score was removed from the app
3) Around 9:30AM I opted in.
4) Around11AM I got the safety score back.

Now I have 25 miles and 100 score.

As far as I know you need 100 miles minimum.

You might want to go out and get another 75 miles in before midnight Pacific.