Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sainsbury's Launch Own-Brand Charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 75p/kWh charging an EV would be at least as expensive if not more than filling up a frugal ICE car.

75p/kWh is "I don't have any choice, I'm desperate" money, not a "this is a viable alternative to not having home charging" option.

Now think of someone forced to have a company car. (One of my relatives get all charging paid for by the employer with a few pence per mile deduction form salary for private mileage.)

I can’t agree. If I’m going to get a meaningful charge at 7kw I’m going to have to spend at least a couple of hours charging. At Sainsbury’s or even at a retail centre I want to be in and out as soon as possible. 10 minutes on an ultra fast charger would be vastly preferable to hours on a 7kw.

Given that I rarely use public chargers and only do so out of real necessity the price for me is pretty much irrelevant.
What's a meaningful charge? Enough to replenish what you used to get there and back? How much more is meaningful?

Perhaps it's an attitude thing. If it were free, and 7kW, would you bother to plug in even if you were only there for 30 mins or so? I would, because it would probably give me about the same as it took to get there, for free. There's no downside beyond having to get the cable out of my car. As said previously it would make my more inclined to shop there than another supermarket without this facility.

Or to turn ths argument on its head - would you pay the 75p/kWh being quoted here for a rapid charge at Sainsburys? If not, then what's the point of them being there?

1 way Sainsburys could help in reducing the cost per kw is by getting rid of those stupid receipt machines that print out offers. I bet they spend a fortune on those printers and paper.

Self Service till: "Do you want a receipt"
Me: Presses No (Me thinking i need to save a few trees)
Self Service starts printing: "Ok, here are some other bits of paper with offers you don't want and will never use"

10 minutes on an ultra fast charger would be vastly preferable to hours on a 7kw.
Agree. There is a place for the 7kws but it is not the supermarkets or the local Mcdonalds. These are sites that can do well with some Rapid and Ultra rapids - easy to get to a Mcdonalds in a new place than having no chargers or having a Ultrarpaid in underground car parks only locals will know. The main worry about 7kw chargers in supermarket is locals just park their ICE and then you have cabs and others who has loads of time in their hands park their cars and do some shopping.

would you pay the 75p/kWh being quoted here for a rapid charge at Sainsburys?
I can answer that; yes. In fact I did exactly that when I was on holiday in Wales last summer at the rapid charger at Lidl. A quick splash and dash that ensured I had enough juice to get to the Manchester Supercharger on the way back home the next day.

Would I use it on a regular basis? No, but that applies to all public chargers irrespective of price.

Reactions: ringi and spdpsba
he main worry about 7kw chargers in supermarket is locals just park their ICE and then you have cabs and others who h
I can give our local Waitrose as a classic example -where all the spaces (including one Rapid) is always blocked by ICE cars and rarely used by anyone to charge. And I am sure the customers who visit here all have their comfy home charger tagged to some low priced Octopus deals and solar panels generating loads and loads of free electricity.

75p/kWh. What a joke.

If anything they should be way below market rates to incentivise people to shop in their stores. Or even free if you spend >£100 during your visit.

And we don't really need a 2 or 3 ultra fast charger on a 300 space parking lot. But place two dozen of 7kW/11kW and that'll help
I would argue that for places like supermarkets, where you spend a least 30 minutes, better is to have 10 x 50 kw (or 10 x 75kw) than 3-5 x 150 kw

because you will spend there 30 minutes while shopping and that will charge half of the battery.

on the other hand, I live within 5 minutes to Tesco with 75 kw pod-points (one out of service... lul) and if I already made there, I see no reason why I should charge at 69 p/kwh when at home is 10 times cheaper at 7p/kwh :/

I can answer that; yes. In fact I did exactly that when I was on holiday in Wales last summer at the rapid charger at Lidl. A quick splash and dash that ensured I had enough juice to get to the Manchester Supercharger on the way back home the next day.

Would I use it on a regular basis? No, but that applies to all public chargers irrespective of price.
Fair enough, but in that circumstance you wouldn't have also been inclined to do your big shop or whatever on your way to Wales, surely? You might have picked up a few bits from the store, or maybe not even done that if it topped up fast enough.

How are these chargers an incentive for people to shop at Sainsburys as compared to - e.g. 28 fast chargers instead of 2 ultra rapids? I can see how they are an incentive to buy an EV if you don't have home charging and can stomach the 75p/kWh - but I can't see how its any kind of incentive to shop at Sainsburys as well.

I would be willing to bet money that 7kW or even 22kW chargers that were free or cheap with Nectar card/proof of shop would be used constantly by actual shoppers.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
What's a meaningful charge? Enough to replenish what you used to get there and back? How much more is meaningful?

Perhaps it's an attitude thing. If it were free, and 7kW, would you bother to plug in even if you were only there for 30 mins or so? I would, because it would probably give me about the same as it took to get there, for free. There's no downside beyond having to get the cable out of my car. As said previously it would make my more inclined to shop there than another supermarket without this facility.

Or to turn ths argument on its head - would you pay the 75p/kWh being quoted here for a rapid charge at Sainsburys? If not, then what's the point of them being there?
No, I wouldn’t bother at all. I’m really not so desperate for free juice that I’d plug into a 7kw charger for 30 mins.

Yes, I’d be prepared to pay 75p/kw because, as I said in my post, I rarely use public chargers, only if I really need to so the price is irrelevant.

Reactions: spdpsba
I guess I see this sort of stuff differently. I wouldn't say I'm desperate, but if I can get a free topup then I'll take it. If Sainsburys offered people a bit of free petrol for shopping there I would bet everyone would accept it.

I see it is Sainsburys giving their customers an extra like Clubcard or Nectar points, a bonus for shopping there.

Reactions: WllXM
The main worry about 7kw chargers in supermarket is locals just park their ICE and then you have cabs and others who has loads of time in their hands park their cars and do some shopping.
I have a solution to ICEing, and it's very easy... put them at the back of the car park far away from the doors of the shop. Lazy selfish people who park their cars in EV spots generally don't want to use their legs between getting out of their shitboxes and into the shop.

I have less store navigating skills than my wife, so a big weekly shop typically lasts around an hour for me. Having a (free) 11kW charger would nicely replenish my battery during that time, I'm not asking for more.

I have no need for ultra fast. They can put a few of those by the entrance for people desperately needing a charge, so they can take the 5-10 mins it takes to go grab a meal deal inside at the same time, but that's for the occasional shopper and it won't attract regular, higher spending customers like me unless they offer it as a freebie/perk.

Reactions: yessuz and Durzel
If all supermarkets in the UK had at least 4 fast chargers, even at 75p/kwh, that would be great because you will never be far from one and they normally have toilets and you can get drinks too. So when you are are in an unfamiliar place and running a bit low you can get a charge. Yes, they need to have good signage to stop people ICEing them and limit people to say, a 30 minutes charge when other people are waiting.

Reactions: spdpsba
Perhaps it's an attitude thing. If it were free, and 7kW, would you bother to plug in even if you were only there for 30 mins or so?
When I go into London for the day, the car park where I leave my car has free 7kW charging, I only bother to use it if I need a charge due to the hassle of working out which ones are working, getting my cable out, and the grief of using the BP Polar app to start it. Certainly would never bother for 30 mins of charging.

The 3 minutes to start charging is more valuable to me than the 3kW of charging in half an hour, worth 22.5p to me. Less than half minimum wage.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Local shopping centre has ~50x7kW chargers in their car park. Free (although parking isn't). I'll always plug in if I go, and usually get about the same as it took to travel there and back. No danger of it filling the car in the time I'm there, even if I grab a bite to eat as well. The chargers are almost always full or near full when I've been too, so it's not just me.

I can see the sense in these if they're spread around the edges of the country where there aren't currently many ultra rapids, which would then aid people on hols. Inland, I can't really see them being used much at that price.

Local shopping centre has ~50x7kW chargers in their car park. Free (although parking isn't). I'll always plug in if I go, and usually get about the same as it took to travel there and back. No danger of it filling the car in the time I'm there, even if I grab a bite to eat as well. The chargers are almost always full or near full when I've been too, so it's not just me.

I can see the sense in these if they're spread around the edges of the country where there aren't currently many ultra rapids, which would then aid people on hols. Inland, I can't really see them being used much at that price.
But mainly they are nearer the exit up to Westgate. I bet you wouldn't if they were in the bowels of the building.