Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WAMZ: I only know what I've experienced and figured out for myself, and that's all rooted.

Kitt_De: There's a good reason for that. SOME ppl are unethical and seek to enable supercharging when it was not paid for. All DC (fast) charging relies on the same switch. If you're honest maybe you can figure it out. On the SIM yes as long as it's compatible with AT&T (3G or LTE as the daughtercard may be) and you pay for the account, but why? Idk about Spotify as I don't use it, but I believe yes.
I dont have a salvage car yet but I plan to buy one for cheap and do diy for fun. On electronics I am not that great soldering expert especially for fpga or smd I think I risk killing the board, but know Linux and command shell very well so no big worries on that side. You refer to a 'switch' to enable fast charging what kind of switch you mean? A variable in a config file or a phisical switch/fuse? I am honest to pay for charging no need to get free SUC I guess they will block FIN anyway, but a CCS charging in Europe or chademo whould be a huge benefit I am located in germany.

About the Sim I refer to the only services and those seem to be disabled on salvage cars as well so the question was if I use my own mobile internet card if the car gets mobile internet again and if I can use my own Spotify account to get some music. So it does not need to be the same operator tesla uses or does it?

This would be all more like a fun project to learn the tech and repair a used car. I have my daily driver (Model S) but want to do some diy on a Model X and get or build a car for cheap like 'Rich rebuilds' on youtube

I dont have a salvage car yet but I plan to buy one for cheap and do diy for fun. On electronics I am not that great soldering expert especially for fpga or smd I think I risk killing the board, but know Linux and command shell very well so no big worries on that side.
That's fine, I'm sure you can outsource all your soldering needs.
You refer to a 'switch' to enable fast charging what kind of switch you mean? A variable in a config file or a phisical switch/fuse? I am honest to pay for charging no need to get free SUC I guess they will block FIN anyway, but a CCS charging in Europe or chademo whould be a huge benefit I am located in germany.
It is a software switch (gateway configuration), although there seem to be hardware ways of disabling SC at a supercharger, so I would avoid superchargers.
It's Tesla policy to disable all kinds of DC charging in salvage cars, so you'll need root to move around (and root nowadays means either MCU1 or pay a lot to someone) or stay with AC. Most likely that's ilegal (at least the disabling of 3rd party DC charging), and you have good chances of contesting it in a customer rights association (I tried, but since I'm living in the US now, they ignored me).

About the Sim I refer to the only services and those seem to be disabled on salvage cars as well so the question was if I use my own mobile internet card if the car gets mobile internet again and if I can use my own Spotify account to get some music. So it does not need to be the same operator tesla uses or does it?
I think you should be able to do that (I actually plan to do that). You can even change the sim card in the MCU, but I'm not sure if it will recognize the new APN, or if you need to change it yourself. In any case, you can change the APN if you are root.
This would be all more like a fun project to learn the tech and repair a used car. I have my daily driver (Model S) but want to do some diy on a Model X and get or build a car for cheap like 'Rich rebuilds' on youtube
That's great! I enjoyed a lot bringing my model S back to life, I hope you also have lots of fun! Let me know how it goes.

Hello! I just purchased a salvaged title 2013 P85. It seems to have been completely repaired and driven for about 60k miles since. I bought it from a guy that bought it from a dealer that bought it at an auction all within the last few months. This is my first salvaged Tesla. It had a coolant leak (a small pencil eraser hole in the motor that I temporarily fixed with a self-tapping screw and a rubber grommet). So here is my problem.

It is giving me 3 errors... Traction Control Disabled, Stability Control Disabled, Regenerative Braking Disabled.

Also, when I go to maps, it says no map data is loaded.

Also, when I search for Wifi it can't find any (my other Tesla's have always found more than you can handle in the same location).

I haven't verified this but the seller said it still supercharges and had pictures of it supercharging.

I'm assuming most or all of that is due to someone having rooted it in the past? Possibly a bad assumption? It is on version 2018.48.12.1.

My questions:
  1. Do those issues sound like it has been rooted and modified to disable those settings?
  2. How do I know if it is rooted?
  3. Can I re-enable traction control, stability control, and regen by gaining root access? ...or at least be able to troubleshoot the issues?
  4. If it is not rooted, where do I start to learn how to do so? (I am a software engineer so not a stranger to code but new to rooting a Tesla)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My questions:
  1. Do those issues sound like it has been rooted and modified to disable those settings?
  2. How do I know if it is rooted?
  3. Can I re-enable traction control, stability control, and regen by gaining root access? ...or at least be able to troubleshoot the issues?
  4. If it is not rooted, where do I start to learn how to do so? (I am a software engineer so not a stranger to code but new to rooting a Tesla)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi! My two cents:

1. As far as I know, your errors have nothing to do eith rooting.
2. 2018 fw are rootable (if it's a typo and you're on 2020.48, I'm 99% sure it's not rooted). Most likely if it's rooted the diagnostics port will be open. I'll sketch a bit how to check this, and if you want more info, you can dig in the forum, or get back to me. Usually this is behind the cubby, below the display, but your Tesla is 2013, and if I remember well, it might be somewhere else. You'll need an ethernet to HSD adapter to communicate there (you can build one with a soldering iron or buy it for ~$50), and then you set up a local network and try to ping the cid (I think it's 192.168.90.100). If you get an answer, it's rooted. This procedure won't tell you how to access the car, though (you might need to root it... again).
3. You can't, but if you get a terminal window, you can check the alerts and you might get a little bit more of info of why these are disabled. Don't the errors go away when you drive a few miles (~5 or 10 mi)? Factory mode might also help.
4. The 2018 fw might be rootable with the soldering/desoldering method, which is well documented, but you might want to check before disassembling the MCU. Otherwise, you need a vulnerability, and these are not disclosed (not even for old fw!). In any case, and since your fw is pretty old, you might find something digging in this forum.

Good luck!

Reactions: jonnnylingo
Hi! My two cents:

1. As far as I know, your errors have nothing to do eith rooting.
2. 2018 fw are rootable (if it's a typo and you're on 2020.48, I'm 99% sure it's not rooted). Most likely if it's rooted the diagnostics port will be open. I'll sketch a bit how to check this, and if you want more info, you can dig in the forum, or get back to me. Usually this is behind the cubby, below the display, but your Tesla is 2013, and if I remember well, it might be somewhere else. You'll need an ethernet to HSD adapter to communicate there (you can build one with a soldering iron or buy it for ~$50), and then you set up a local network and try to ping the cid (I think it's 192.168.90.100). If you get an answer, it's rooted. This procedure won't tell you how to access the car, though (you might need to root it... again).
3. You can't, but if you get a terminal window, you can check the alerts and you might get a little bit more of info of why these are disabled. Don't the errors go away when you drive a few miles (~5 or 10 mi)? Factory mode might also help.
4. The 2018 fw might be rootable with the soldering/desoldering method, which is well documented, but you might want to check before disassembling the MCU. Otherwise, you need a vulnerability, and these are not disclosed (not even for old fw!). In any case, and since your fw is pretty old, you might find something digging in this forum.

Good luck!
You're right on port location, theres a triangular panel that is a little flimsy as you open the door on the console due left and down from the IC. you'll need to create an HSD cable out of ethernet or buy one.

I've downgraded from 2020.36.16 to 2019.12.1.1 pretty much successfully and my old charging speeds are restored. Everything is working, but it can't connect to the internet any more either by wireless or 3G. The sierra and parrot modules seem OK and have the correct settings but it flicks between the wireless off, 3G bars and wireless bars continuously. Trying to ping 8.8.8.8 etc gives 'network unreachable' response.

Some of the syslog.err file:

2021-08-12T11:47:25.320582-07:00 cid kernel: [ 378.821550] sierra ttyUSB4: resubmit read urb failed.(-19)
2021-08-12T11:47:28.551304-07:00 cid check-internet[7401]: parrot internet not accessible
2021-08-12T11:47:28.554067-07:00 cid QtCarNetManager[3007]: [WifiLinkManager] ERROR Helper failed with code: 1 status:
2021-08-12T11:47:45.219864-07:00 cid QtCarMonitor[775]: [CenterDisplayServiceDataListener] ERROR Missing UDP data values for interface CenterDi
splayService

Any ideas?

Try restaging the firmware in cid-updater with service-redeploy .

You can also specify particular modules such as:
Code:
ape  bms  cc  chgph1  chgph2  chgvi  cmp  cp  das  dcdc  ddm  dhfd  dhfp
dhrd  dhrp  di  dis  epas  epb  epbm  esp  gtw  ibst  ic  lft  msm  ocs
park  parrot  pdm  pm  pms  ptc  radc  rccm  sccm  sec  sierra  sun  tas
tcid  thc  tic  tpms  tuner  umc

Some more handy and/or dangerous cid-updater commands:
Code:
after
after-e
after-e
after-e-ms
apeb-checkapesig
apply-bsdiff
apply-rbvrm-delta
auth
auth.part.57
check-prohibited
check-sd-card
checkkern
checksig
checksystem
cleanspool
debug
die
dispatch-as
download-secondary
examine
examine.part.169
example
factory-redeploy
format-sd-card
fwheartbeat
gateway-update
get-boot-mode
get-bootloader-status
gostaged
guarantee-pcc
gwcmd
gwping
gwver
gwxfer
handshake
hashpart
hostip
HTTP-GET
HTTP-GET
HTTP-GET-onclose
HTTP-GET-restart-command
HTTP-POST
hwidacq
ice-ecu-redeploy
ice-ecu-redeploy.part.188
ice-umc-redeploy
ice-wc-redeploy
install
internal-dat
keepawake
kexec
kexec.part.108
kill
kill-paths-pending
launch-factory-redeploy
logfd
m3-factory-deploy
m3-factory-deploy-done
match-or-die
md5sum-file
not-manifest-list
not-package-list
not-redeploy-kernel
offlinepatch
onlinedup
override-handshake
override-version
periodically-until
pet-watchdog
phase-car-control
ping-updater
post-gwlogs
post-misc
qber
queue-tftp-data-on-sid
quickboot
read
read
read-signatures
reboot
redbend-dummy
redeploy
reexec
reexec.part.116
remaster-release-tgz
repair-bootloader
replace
report-vin
reset
respool
retry-gostaged
retry-gostaged.part.185
rqflush
serve
service-redeploy
session-exit
set-handshake
set-parker-boot-mode
setenv
setrlimit
setrlimit
sierra-update
signature-redeploy
signature-resolution
sitemaster-report
status
stealth-gostaged
stealth-gostaged.part.184
swap-updater
swatch
system
termination-status
test-bootenv
test-verify
troubleshoot-offline-signature
try-syncterm
tuner-report
tuner-report.part.118
tuner-shutdown
tuner-update
tzset
tzset
uinotify
unwatch
update-bootloader
uptime
uptime.part.43
wake-remote
watch
wifi-watcher

Reactions: gwxfer
I don't. Anonymousfiles.io is a actually a widely respected site for zero tracking uploads. It's only as dangerous as the file you download. But eitherway you need to trust the torrent content and I suspect if you have a webfilter/AV thats warning you about Anonymousfiles.io your getting have troubles with the Torrent being blocked as well.

But rest assured, the website itself does not push or infect with malware. Thats not how it works.
Updated link?

Code:

Code:
after
after-e
after-e
after-e-ms
apeb-checkapesig
apply-bsdiff
apply-rbvrm-delta
auth
auth.part.57
check-prohibited
check-sd-card
checkkern
checksig
checksystem
cleanspool
debug
die
dispatch-as
download-secondary
examine
examine.part.169
example
factory-redeploy
format-sd-card
fwheartbeat
gateway-update
get-boot-mode
get-bootloader-status
gostaged
guarantee-pcc
gwcmd
gwping
gwver
gwxfer
handshake
hashpart
hostip
HTTP-GET
HTTP-GET
HTTP-GET-onclose
HTTP-GET-restart-command
HTTP-POST
hwidacq
ice-ecu-redeploy
ice-umc-redeploy
ice-wc-redeploy
install
internal-dat
keepawake
kexec
kexec.part.108
kill
kill-paths-pending
launch-factory-redeploy
logfd
m3-factory-deploy
m3-factory-deploy-done
match-or-die
md5sum-file
not-manifest-list
not-package-list
not-redeploy-kernel
offlinepatch
onlinedup
override-handshake
override-version
periodically-until
pet-watchdog
phase-car-control
ping-updater
post-gwlogs
post-misc
qber
queue-tftp-data-on-sid
quickboot
read
read
read-signatures
reboot
redbend-dummy
redeploy
reexec
reexec.part.116
remaster-release-tgz
repair-bootloader
replace
report-vin
reset
respool
retry-gostaged
retry-gostaged.part.185
rqflush
serve
service-redeploy
session-exit
set-handshake
set-parker-boot-mode
setenv
setrlimit
setrlimit
sierra-update
signature-redeploy
signature-resolution
sitemaster-report
status
stealth-gostaged
swap-updater
swatch
system
termination-status
test-bootenv
test-verify
try-syncterm
tuner-report
tuner-report.part.118
tuner-shutdown
tuner-update
tzset
tzset
uinotify
unwatch
update-bootloader
uptime
uptime.part.43
wake-remote
watch
wifi-watcher
I tried a factory-redeploy and a service-redeploy (not sure of the difference) but no dice. So then I updated to 2019.40 and it all started working again. No problem with WiFi or 3G. Seems like something in my car doesn't like 2019.12.1.1 firmware. I'll try install again from 2019.40 and see if the problem comes back.

I tried a factory-redeploy and a service-redeploy (not sure of the difference) but no dice. So then I updated to 2019.40 and it all started working again. No problem with WiFi or 3G. Seems like something in my car doesn't like 2019.12.1.1 firmware. I'll try install again from 2019.40 and see if the problem comes back.
If I remember well, there was a big change in 2019.40 regarding connectivity. But I don't think it should affect you that way.

Code:

Code:
after
after-e
after-e
after-e-ms
apeb-checkapesig
apply-bsdiff
apply-rbvrm-delta
auth
auth.part.57
check-prohibited
check-sd-card
checkkern
checksig
checksystem
cleanspool
debug
die
dispatch-as
download-secondary
examine
examine.part.169
example
factory-redeploy
format-sd-card
fwheartbeat
gateway-update
get-boot-mode
get-bootloader-status
gostaged
guarantee-pcc
gwcmd
gwping
gwver
gwxfer
handshake
hashpart
hostip
HTTP-GET
HTTP-GET
HTTP-GET-onclose
HTTP-GET-restart-command
HTTP-POST
hwidacq
ice-ecu-redeploy
ice-umc-redeploy
ice-wc-redeploy
install
internal-dat
keepawake
kexec
kexec.part.108
kill
kill-paths-pending
launch-factory-redeploy
logfd
m3-factory-deploy
m3-factory-deploy-done
match-or-die
md5sum-file
not-manifest-list
not-package-list
not-redeploy-kernel
offlinepatch
onlinedup
override-handshake
override-version
periodically-until
pet-watchdog
phase-car-control
ping-updater
post-gwlogs
post-misc
qber
queue-tftp-data-on-sid
quickboot
read
read
read-signatures
reboot
redbend-dummy
redeploy
reexec
reexec.part.116
remaster-release-tgz
repair-bootloader
replace
report-vin
reset
respool
retry-gostaged
retry-gostaged.part.185
rqflush
serve
service-redeploy
session-exit
set-handshake
set-parker-boot-mode
setenv
setrlimit
setrlimit
sierra-update
signature-redeploy
signature-resolution
sitemaster-report
status
stealth-gostaged
swap-updater
swatch
system
termination-status
test-bootenv
test-verify
try-syncterm
tuner-report
tuner-report.part.118
tuner-shutdown
tuner-update
tzset
tzset
uinotify
unwatch
update-bootloader
uptime
uptime.part.43
wake-remote
watch
wifi-watcher
How do you specificy to redeploy a specific module? service-redeply "bms" or what?

The 16 or so ECMs around the car each have their own firmware, and the construct of those ECMs for your particular car is held in a file called hwids.txt in the gateway. When changing MCUs it is very important to preserve this file as well as internal.dat . I have a script in my wiki that will back up critical files to the IC (if older vintage) and to your server at home (if set up properly).

The firmware modules for these ECMs are staged from the complete saveset which is in partition 1 or 2 -- for your particular car, to a location in /var which I can't remember ATM. This pre-set-up collection is installed with 'factory-redeploy'. If you want the CID to start over by resizing the system and re-staging the modules... counter-intuitively you use 'service-redeploy' .

Code:
# nc localhost 25956
    > service-redeploy
         would do it all.
    > service-redeploy "update_component_list"
    > service-redeploy "update_component_list":"du,pm"    
        would just do the du and pm

Reactions: GazMav and M0rpH3x
If I remember well, there was a big change in 2019.40 regarding connectivity. But I don't think it should affect you that way.
No I don't think so, it was running an old version v8.1 up until recently and that had no problems connecting. Yesterday I went back to 2019.12.1.1 again and the internet connectivity problem returned. So there is a problem with that firmware and my car.
Does anyone have an image of 2019.5 2019.12 or 2019.15 that they can share, please PM me.