Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it's definitely not easy, especially on newer software versions.

Recently I've been doing some googling on the KeenLabs Tesla hack which occurred in September. Those researchers were able to gain "full privileges" and run malicious code on the centre display resulting from an exploit in WebKit. They did not seem concerned about any monitoring activities and AFAIK Tesla were only made aware of the issue after vulnerability disclosure.

Considering Tesla have only just deployed an initial version of code signing, I would be surprised if they do anything more than some basic filtering on log files periodically (certainly nothing in real time). I'd be really interested to hear if anyone has any information on this topic so I will start a new thread to not go off topic.

To date nobody has released any details of a root exploit. Even the Defcon talk by Kevin and Mark last year concealed info that would have actually enabled a root exploit. I'm fine with folks who have private exploits, but if you're going to flaunt it (Keenlabs and Defcon guys) then you have a responsibility to publicly disclose the vulnerabilities once Tesla has issued a patch.

Recently I've been doing some googling on the KeenLabs Tesla hack which occurred in September. Those researchers were able to gain "full privileges" and run malicious code on the centre display resulting from an exploit in WebKit. They did not seem concerned about any monitoring activities and AFAIK Tesla were only made aware of the issue after vulnerability disclosure.

Considering Tesla have only just deployed an initial version of code signing, I would be surprised if they do anything more than some basic filtering on log files periodically (certainly nothing in real time). I'd be really interested to hear if anyone has any information on this topic so I will start a new thread to not go off topic.
Are you asking if they use any IDS (Intrusion Detection System) tech, No nothing of note has been discovered. If you enter Diagnostic mode (using a code) they get sent an alert, that's about it.

I do not recommend you take the MCU apart unless you have extensive experience with electronics. Several forum members here have permanently damaged the MCU doing this. You also usually damage other parts of the car getting it out. (Such as the upper dashboard pad) If Tesla is going to do something to the car, they likely already have, so going to all that trouble usually doesn't do any good. If you still feel you must do this, the quick way is to unplug the antenna connections (one in each side-view mirror), these connectors are accessible behind each door panel.

I can assist with diagnostics, and I have a remote access app that gives you full control of the car, everything Tesla's has but more options and access to all diagnostic data anytime you like. This is essential for when you have problems. I can also disable Tesla's access but preserve the internet connection and allow navigation to work properly.

I can also restore any options Tesla may have disabled, such as Supercharging. I also will explain all the faults and alerts to you so you know what they mean.

I do not recommend you take the MCU apart unless you have extensive experience with electronics. Several forum members here have permanently damaged the MCU doing this. You also usually damage other parts of the car getting it out. (Such as the upper dashboard pad) If Tesla is going to do something to the car, they likely already have, so going to all that trouble usually doesn't do any good. If you still feel you must do this, the quick way is to unplug the antenna connections (one in each side-view mirror), these connectors are accessible behind each door panel.

I can assist with diagnostics, and I have a remote access app that gives you full control of the car, everything Tesla's has but more options and access to all diagnostic data anytime you like. This is essential for when you have problems. I can also disable Tesla's access but preserve the internet connection and allow navigation to work properly.

I can also restore any options Tesla may have disabled, such as Supercharging. I also will explain all the faults and alerts to you so you know what they mean.

Can you also increase battery capacity and/or enable ludicrous mode?

I will not do anything unethical. I will happily re-enable supercharging because the car had it originally, and therefore it was paid for. (once I ascertain it is safe to do so, which is why I suspect Tesla disables it)

If you were to get a battery pack from a Ludicrous car, and install it into an older P85D, I would be happy to enable it for you in that case, but if you have a car/pack that Ludicrous was not paid for, I will not enable it. (Besides, in many cases this requires hardware)

Likewise, if you had a car without navigation, but get the navigation capable SD card and Gyro board from the MCU of another car, I will be happy to program it. We are not depriving Tesla of any revenue, and simply moving parts around.

I fully support Tesla and their mission. I don't agree with some of their policies, but I do my best to do the right thing.

I will not do anything unethical. I will happily re-enable supercharging because the car had it originally, and therefore it was paid for. (once I ascertain it is safe to do so, which is why I suspect Tesla disables it)

If you were to get a battery pack from a Ludicrous car, and install it into an older P85D, I would be happy to enable it for you in that case, but if you have a car/pack that Ludicrous was not paid for, I will not enable it. (Besides, in many cases this requires hardware)

Likewise, if you had a car without navigation, but get the navigation capable SD card and Gyro board from the MCU of another car, I will be happy to program it. We are not depriving Tesla of any revenue, and simply moving parts around.

I fully support Tesla and their mission. I don't agree with some of their policies, but I do my best to do the right thing.
Totally agree with you and I wouldn't do it to my car. Ethically and I don't want to jail break a perfectly good car. I was just curious if it were possible. I really appreciate your white hat with your knowledge.

I do not recommend you take the MCU apart unless you have extensive experience with electronics. Several forum members here have permanently damaged the MCU doing this. You also usually damage other parts of the car getting it out. (Such as the upper dashboard pad)

+1 ... I ruined 1 MCU and part of my upper chrome trim doing this. But at least I learned how! I call it "Tesla tuition" :)

Is someone know where is the pyro fuse on a 70 d 2015. It doesn't seem that is in the box under the rear seat like regular 85 2013 because all the wire ( battery, the two motors ) are all connect together at the beginning of this h v box so the fuse need to be before that.
Tank you

Finally found the pyrofuse. It's in front trunk at the end of the fuse block. Bypass it with a 30 amp fuse. I had to change fuse 125 contactor power. I have a model s 70 d 2015. It is now drivable and it charge. No more error code like contact tesla service. The only thing is that I accidentally put the car in valet mode. Then I need to enter a 4 digit code to disable it. I don't have access to my tesla account and I don't know if tesla will transfert the car on my name. So is there a way to reset the computer ( like a button ). I cannot reset to factory setting because the valet mode don't allow it.
Tank you

Finally found the pyrofuse. It's in front trunk at the end of the fuse block. Bypass it with a 30 amp fuse. I had to change fuse 125 contactor power. I have a model s 70 d 2015. It is now drivable and it charge. No more error code like contact tesla service. The only thing is that I accidentally put the car in valet mode. Then I need to enter a 4 digit code to disable it. I don't have access to my tesla account and I don't know if tesla will transfert the car on my name. So is there a way to reset the computer ( like a button ). I cannot reset to factory setting because the valet mode don't allow it.
Tank you
Can you send pictures of where the pyrofuse is located

What are peoples plan with salvaged cars? To tinker and learn, projects or just get them another car.
I would love to see someone take the motors and battery and put them in like a F150, basically all the guts, just a new shell.
Somebody allegedly did that with a Fisker Karma and ended out with a fully functioning S as far as Tesla was concerned. There is a photo of it allegedly being charged at a Supercharger. I don't have the time to look it up right now.