Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've finally realised Tesla globally are a bunch of *%%$s when it comes to slavage cars and its not just limited my part of the World (Australia/NZ). So I paid Ingineer and have a had a great experience so far.

My 10 cents:
I get the impression that this is a real tricky business to be in. There's growing demand so guys doing it are getting busy. They can't exactly setup franchises/hire staff because its still a 'grey' industry and there's a big difference between being a one-man-band vs being a corporation in this space. So they each get busier and we all know that the busier we are the harder it is to cope and be nice to everybody. I'd like to know if anyone has an idea on how to move on from here-how can this be made legit? We should be allowed to run legitimate businesses fixing and modifying the computers and software in products in the same way as we are allowed to fix and modify the mechanical and electronic parts. Does the recent "right to repair" ruling help with this?

Copyright Office Ruling Issues Sweeping Right to Repair Reforms
Section 1201 Exemptions to Prohibition Against Circumvention of Technological Measures Protecting Copyrighted Works
It's not a grey area and Tesla can literally file suits against him for enabling supercharging on salvage cars.

HI everyone,
I have a large drive unit from a 2014 Model S p85 that i wish to install in an old jag.
I'm attempting to get it working using an aftermarket motor controller from Advantics who have been assisting with the process.
The motor powers up with 12v and i can read CAN data with a arduino and sparkfun can shield.
Advantics have said that the vehicle control unit (VCU) gets a the CAN data from the motor for battery voltage, if the voltage is ok, it closes contactors and away you go. Unfortunately this is not happening. My multimeter says there is 350v in the pack and i can see volts spike briefly at the motor when contactors close, but they open again within one second. I applied a car battery to the HV terminals of the motor and observing the CAN data, it appeared to read the voltage correctly (11.5v). this suggests the motor can read voltage correctly.
Advantics have said there is a wiring problem, which i dont buy because i get the correct voltage at the motor.
Is there any advice anyone can give me on problem solving this issue ?

• Informative
Reactions: NiallDarwin
If the vehicles were sold with lifetime supercharging?
As far as I know, Tesla has not pursued for fraud anybody for using a supercharger with a salvaged vehicle. However, I would think it reasonable to assume that the "lifetime" ends when the car gets a salvage title.

HI everyone,
I have a large drive unit from a 2014 Model S p85 that i wish to install in an old jag.
I'm attempting to get it working using an aftermarket motor controller from Advantics who have been assisting with the process.
The motor powers up with 12v and i can read CAN data with a arduino and sparkfun can shield.
Advantics have said that the vehicle control unit (VCU) gets a the CAN data from the motor for battery voltage, if the voltage is ok, it closes contactors and away you go. Unfortunately this is not happening. My multimeter says there is 350v in the pack and i can see volts spike briefly at the motor when contactors close, but they open again within one second. I applied a car battery to the HV terminals of the motor and observing the CAN data, it appeared to read the voltage correctly (11.5v). this suggests the motor can read voltage correctly.
Advantics have said there is a wiring problem, which i dont buy because i get the correct voltage at the motor.
Is there any advice anyone can give me on problem solving this issue ?

I've no knowledge of Advantics stuff but here's my 10 cents:
What battery pack and what contactor setup? My first guess is that there's something wrong in the contactor setup such as no pre charge. If the precharge isn't complete or isn't performed at all there will be a large inrush of current when the main contactors close and the motor controller will freak out, open the contactors again and throw errors.

Also, I feel this is pushing the bounds of the thread title. Maybe look for a better home or start a new one?

Thanks NiallDarwin,
Sorry for pushing the bounds of the this thread, It was my first post and it seemed like the right place. I read through some of the posts buts confess not all.

The problem exists somewhere in a grey zone between my wriring, advantics controller and tesla motor. I was hoping to understand the motor more to eliminate that as an issue. I'll see if i can find somewhere more appropriate, in the meantime though your feedback is appreciated.

It has a 300ohm resister as per advantics instructions as precharge. Original tesla battery pack. It has three contactors, one for negative, one with precharge and one with positive. Ideally, the negative and precharge contactors close, voltage rises, the positive contactor closes and the precharge opens.

As far as I know, Tesla has not pursued for fraud anybody for using a supercharger with a salvaged vehicle. However, I would think it reasonable to assume that the "lifetime" ends when the car gets a salvage title.

This is not correct, per a friend of mine at Tesla (in their legal dept). As all things, it is subject to change, but if the option was sold with the car, Tesla will not pursue you. This person was very clear to me, and said "just don't come to us and expect us to support it on a salvage car".

• Informative
Reactions: NiallDarwin
It certainly would make insurance more expensive if salvage ICE cars could no longer get gasoline. It's the old Ship of Theseus conundrum again. How much can you repair and it's still the same car? If you replace all the parts and it's still the same car, what happens if you put all the replaced parts back together again, do you now have TWO of the same car?

I guess with Teslas the answer is "Which car will still Supercharge?" Now who will be the first to get a Rasberry Pi to fake the

-Randy

Thanks NiallDarwin,
Sorry for pushing the bounds of the this thread, It was my first post and it seemed like the right place. I read through some of the posts buts confess not all.

The problem exists somewhere in a grey zone between my wriring, advantics controller and tesla motor. I was hoping to understand the motor more to eliminate that as an issue. I'll see if i can find somewhere more appropriate, in the meantime though your feedback is appreciated.

It has a 300ohm resister as per advantics instructions as precharge. Original tesla battery pack. It has three contactors, one for negative, one with precharge and one with positive. Ideally, the negative and precharge contactors close, voltage rises, the positive contactor closes and the precharge opens.

Hey no worries re location of post. Its just my feeling and I'm no authority.

Sounds like you understand the precharge idea. Are you able to tell if its working as per the ideal?

To be clear; the Superchargers are effectively dumb devices (12 Model S Gen-2 Chargers in a box). The BMS in the car 100% controls them. So when Tesla disables supercharging on an unsupported vehicle, which is not only salvage, but also grey market cars (when cars are moved out of their home market), they actually reach into your car over the internet connection and change the configuration option to disable it. They are modifying YOUR property without YOUR permission. It would be different if they just weren't delivering power by blocking it on the supercharger side, but no, they alter your car.

If their argument is safety, which of course is valid; then they should offer a free or low-cost high-voltage safety inspection to re-enable it. Supercharging is a paid feature, not unlike upgraded wheels. Them reaching into your car to turn it off, is not unlike Tesla techs showing up in a van in the middle of the night to steal back your upgraded wheels. And the safety argument, especially on a gen2 or newer car is really a tough one, as the car's' diagnostics are so good that any HV (high Voltage) issues would cause a fault alert which would shut down or throttle supercharging to prevent bad things from happening. On Gen1, those cars had non-instrumented HV junction boxes, so it's possible that damage or improper repair in this area could cause a fire during supercharging. (Gen 1 cars are Model S VINs around 30,000 or lower, so not that many cars)

I have worked on over 600 customer cars now and re-enabled supercharging on all of them that have been disabled. I've never had one of them have anything dangerous happen as a result. I work with the owners to assess the condition of the HV system to make sure it's safe to do so.

I have had a handful of customers go though the expensive inspection process only to be told; "Sorry, no supercharging for you", even though the car passed. Now that Tesla has finally agreed to sell parts to unsupported VINs, there is no point paying them for an expensive inspection, as you really don't gain much. (Only that Tesla will agree to preform repairs on your HV system!)

In September Tesla issued this: (Note the last sentence on the first page which says they WILL sell parts, and the last sentence on the second page, which is no Supercharging for you, EVER!)

pic

pic

To be clear; the Superchargers are effectively dumb devices (12 Model S Gen-2 Chargers in a box). The BMS in the car 100% controls them. So when Tesla disables supercharging on an unsupported vehicle, which is not only salvage, but also grey market cars (when cars are moved out of their home market), they actually reach into your car over the internet connection and change the configuration option to disable it. They are modifying YOUR property without YOUR permission. It would be different if they just weren't delivering power by blocking it on the supercharger side, but no, they alter your car.
Tesla hasn't bothered to turn off Supercharging or 3g/LTE on salvage cars for at least six months Ingineer.

But don't go waving any red flags in their face or take it in to the SC. And if you pay for recertification they will turn these off. The only thing you get from recert is the privilege of paying them for repairs.

And what's with your pompous sig, anyway?

And what's with your pompous sig, anyway?
Several years ago, reporters quoted out of context from this forum, without permission, making it seem like members had opinions that were almost completely opposite their actual opinions. Many of the longer term members took to trying to protect themselves with sigs like Ingineer's.

Tesla hasn't bothered to turn off Supercharging or 3g/LTE on salvage cars for at least six months Ingineer.

Incorrect, they turn off Supercharging all the time. I haven't seen them turn off data though in years. I have a fleet of over 600 cars that is monitored so I know when it's turned off. Here's one from yesterday:
Code:
# access-internal-dat.pl 2018-12-10 16:16:59: Teleforce user tzhang changed fastcharge from 1 to 0

I definitely tell my customers to avoid the "recert" inspection, as it's beyond useless. Now that Tesla WILL sell parts, regardless of status, there is no reason.

• Informative
Reactions: dennisvab and JRP3
I'm not a Tesla mechanic, but can do most things (root, battery swap, DU replacement, etc). I'm in Arizona but travel to SoCal at least once a month.

Projects I have done so far:
March 2013 S85, replace DU
Dec 2015 S70 (flood), replace/upgrade pack to 85kw, replace charger, junction box, seat controller.

Un-bricked several CID's from bad upgrades or curiosity.

Rooted many cars to enable diagnostics or restore lost features.

Add folding mirrors.

Current project: fixing a 2016 P90DL for a customer with drivers side and pack damage.

Also working on fix for DU milling noise.

So there is non-Tesla service available. PM me if anyone needs anything. I'm not just limited to the Southwest US.
I'm not a Tesla mechanic, but can do most things (root, battery swap, DU replacement, etc). I'm in Arizona but travel to SoCal at least once a month.

Dec 2015 S70 (flood), replace/upgrade pack to 85kw, replace charger, junction box, seat controller.

Add folding mirrors.

Current project: fixing a 2016 P90DL for a customer with drivers side and pack damage.

So there is non-Tesla service available. PM me if anyone needs anything. I'm not just limited to the Southwest US.

Add folding mirrors.

I do not recommend you take the MCU apart unless you have extensive experience with electronics. Several forum members here have permanently damaged the MCU doing this. You also usually damage other parts of the car getting it out. (Such as the upper dashboard pad) If Tesla is going to do something to the car, they likely already have, so going to all that trouble usually doesn't do any good. If you still feel you must do this, the quick way is to unplug the antenna connections (one in each side-view mirror), these connectors are accessible behind each door panel.

I can assist with diagnostics, and I have a remote access app that gives you full control of the car, everything Tesla's has but more options and access to all diagnostic data anytime you like. This is essential for when you have problems. I can also disable Tesla's access but preserve the internet connection and allow navigation to work properly.

I can also restore any options Tesla may have disabled, such as Supercharging. I also will explain all the faults and alerts to you so you know what they mean.

I have a Model X 20017 Salvage car. Everything is fixed but I can't get rid of some errors like suspension and airbag light. The car drives but can't pass inspection this way. Can you root a 2017 rev 8.1? if you can hep I will pay you for your time.