Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a wrecked 2013 model s. The pyro fuse was blown for 2 years and the 12 v battery went dead. I got the car to charge and drive. Firmware is from 2017 and I can’t update it using 3g or WiFi. I spoke to a friendly Tesla service tech and the car isn’t blacklisted. It still receiving 3g data but the maps won’t load. The maps are just a grid. Is the firmware too old to update? Any suggestions. Do I need to manually update the firmware?

I just got a wrecked 2013 model s. The pyro fuse was blown for 2 years and the 12 v battery went dead. I got the car to charge and drive. Firmware is from 2017 and I can’t update it using 3g or WiFi. I spoke to a friendly Tesla service tech and the car isn’t blacklisted. It still receiving 3g data but the maps won’t load. The maps are just a grid. Is the firmware too old to update? Any suggestions. Do I need to manually update the firmware?

It sounds like you have the firmware that was out before Google updated the API for their maps. (It isn't that the maps on the car are too old, it is that the software on the car is no longer compatible with the Google services.)

I have read before that someone that refused updates for a long time got to a point that their car couldn't be updated and they had to take it to Tesla and the engineers had to create a custom firmware package that was installed offline to get the car updated. So yeah, you may have to manually update it if you want a newer version.

Or, it could be that he has no GSM connexion. Got antenna bars in the upper-right, Oldnoob? (Bet ya ain't as old as me)

You must first upgrade to 18.24. Then you can move on to the last version 8 (18.36.2) or beyond.

I've finally gotten up my complete rooting guide at WikiVersity. It's been incomplete up to now as DIYElectriCar uses Cloudflare, which stupidly thought I was trying a SQL injection attack.

Link to my first article there, in sig. Will move others soon.

Reactions: M0rpH3x and KJD
Or, it could be that he has no GSM connexion. Got antenna bars in the upper-right, Oldnoob? (Bet ya ain't as old as me)

You must first upgrade to 18.24. Then you can move on to the last version 8 (18.36.2) or beyond.

I've finally gotten up my complete rooting guide at WikiVersity. It's been incomplete up to now as DIYElectriCar uses Cloudflare, which stupidly thought I was trying a SQL injection attack.

Link to my first article there, in sig. Will move others soon.

The car is getting a strong 3g connection. The browser will load websites on 3g slowly but no videos will play. WiFi is slightly faster but lagging. I’ve tried a dozen updates attempts and they all fail.

The mcu was unpowered for 2 years.

I will start reading your write up.

The car is getting a strong 3g connection. The browser will load websites on 3g slowly but no videos will play. WiFi is slightly faster but lagging. I’ve tried a dozen updates attempts and they all fail.

The mcu was unpowered for 2 years.

I will start reading your write up.
Vidoes will not play anyway as it's not supported for MCU1 so dont focus on that.

Reactions: Oldnoob
I was on same situation before , for shure problem is with old Google APIs that is not more compatible with Google servers , you just need to update software minimum to V8 .

NEW TESLA OWNER-NEED HOPE PLEASE!!!

New Tesla owner here! Just bought a salvaged 2019 Model 3 from a used car lot. They got it rebuilt, through a 150 point inspection, etc. it looks, runs and operates beautifully. Like new. It had back end damage, but the airbags never deployed. We learned AFTER purchasing that a salvaged title could blacklist us from updates, supercharging, and servicing. However, someone suggested that when we take the registration into Tesla to get ownership transferred to our Tesla account to just keep our mouth shut, and hope they don’t notice that it’s a salvaged title. Has anyone experienced this, and been successful, and still had access to the app, supercharging, and updates? I’m just feeling frustrated that this wasn’t something I even thought about researching before purchasing the car, and now I have this car that I may not be able to update, or supercharge. Looking for hope/insight from others who may have been through this!

NEW TESLA OWNER-NEED HOPE PLEASE!!!

New Tesla owner here! Just bought a salvaged 2019 Model 3 from a used car lot. They got it rebuilt, through a 150 point inspection, etc. it looks, runs and operates beautifully. Like new. It had back end damage, but the airbags never deployed. We learned AFTER purchasing that a salvaged title could blacklist us from updates, supercharging, and servicing. However, someone suggested that when we take the registration into Tesla to get ownership transferred to our Tesla account to just keep our mouth shut, and hope they don’t notice that it’s a salvaged title. Has anyone experienced this, and been successful, and still had access to the app, supercharging, and updates? I’m just feeling frustrated that this wasn’t something I even thought about researching before purchasing the car, and now I have this car that I may not be able to update, or supercharge. Looking for hope/insight from others who may have been through this!

It is my understanding that, even if your case is overlooked, they might disable features *anytime*. You might want to remove the SIM card to avoid the remote blacklisting, but you'll lose a bunch of features.

I think your safest bet is to root the car, but the model 3 is specially difficult. The "unhackable" trick of the old model S (unsolder the eMMC) might not work here, because the chip might be encrypted. I'm actually looking for more info on this.

It is my understanding that, even if your case is overlooked, they might disable features *anytime*. You might want to remove the SIM card to avoid the remote blacklisting, but you'll lose a bunch of features.

I think your safest bet is to root the car, but the model 3 is specially difficult. The "unhackable" trick of the old model S (unsolder the eMMC) might not work here, because the chip might be encrypted. I'm actually looking for more info on this.
Thanks for your response! What does it mean to “root” the car? And where can I find info on how to do that? Sorry..I’m like BRAND new to the Tesla ownerships community

What does it mean to root my car? Where can I figure out how to do that?

Inside your car there is a computer that controls many non-essential features, i.e. A/C and heating, games, maps and navigation, internet connection... In principle, you don't have access to this computer, but Tesla does at any time through the LTE connection, and sending commands to this computer they can disable and/or enable features in your car. "Rooting" is a procedure to get unrestricted access to that computer (you "hack" your car). This way you can undo any modifications Tesla does, or you can ban them from accessing your car.

If you are new, and you don't have extensive experience with computers/Linux (and since you didn't know what "rooting" means, this is my feeling), this is going to be extremely difficult. I'm not here to discourage people, but the model 3 is very well protected against hackers, and only the most skilled managed to root this car. Just think that there are bounties worth several hundred thousand dollars to find security holes in a model 3...

There *might* be people out there willing to help you... for a price, but:

- Be prepared to pay. Sometimes a lot.
- It will be them who gets unrestricted access to your car, not you. Which is not very desirable.
- Maybe tomorrow the method these people are using is patched, and one day you find out you paid for nothing.

An option, as other people mentioned, is to talk things over with the Tesla service. They are more open now about salvage cars than before. But forget about supercharging, this can be disabled anytime.

M0rpH3x you have FAR more patience than I, with someone who impulsively blurts out and doesn't look around.

Good God. How do these people hold down a job? Salesmen?
Are you referring to me? Last I checked, a Tesla forum is a place to ask questions about Tesla ownership. And I did look around. All I can find on rooting is a bunch of stuff I don’t understand. So thanks for your super helpful response. I’m sure your everyone’s favorite person to be around.

@rooter Well, I teach physics...
Also, I'll give something to James: sometimes one needs to spend a hell of a lot of time looking for info in the forum to find what one needs. You also need patience to search...

@jamesdens Don't get mad at rooter. I think he has been one of the most helpful people around this forum. And he has shared more info than anyone else about rooting. Most Tesla hackers like to keep their secrets to themselves. But yes, it's etiquette to look thoroughly for information before asking questions.

Also, I'll give something to James: sometimes one needs to spend a hell of a lot of time looking for info in the forum to find what one needs. You also need patience to search...

@jamesdens Don't get mad at rooter. I think he has been one of the most helpful people around this forum. And he has shared more info than anyone else about rooting. Most Tesla hackers like to keep their secrets to themselves. But yes, it's etiquette to look thoroughly for information before asking questions.
Right, I understand that. I’m saying that I did search around. When I found information, it was all presented from the perspective of someone who already basically understands the process, which was not helpful for me, which is why I asked the question I did. I’m sure Rooter is great. But his sarcasm directed at me, and the “good god how do people like this keep a job,” seemed pretty unnecessary, and didn’t seem helpful for the discussion. I appreciated your response. Thank you.

I will second this that the search function on this forum is sh1t. I've literally resorted to using Google search, narrowed to this forum, when looking for stuff. It's far better than the built-in functionality.

Right, I understand that. I’m saying that I did search around. When I found information, it was all presented from the perspective of someone who already basically understands the process, which was not helpful for me, which is why I asked the question I did. I’m sure Rooter is great. But his sarcasm directed at me, and the “good god how do people like this keep a job,” seemed pretty unnecessary, and didn’t seem helpful for the discussion. I appreciated your response. Thank you.

FYI, you might also take note that Electrified Garage is now claiming to provide rooting service. Not sure how good or reliable there service is but it might be an option.

eMMC Repair/Upgrade for Model S and X + Optional Root Access

Edit: oops your talking about a Model 3, not S.