Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Github is a great tool and has excellent security (even though it's now owned by Microsoft), but doesn't seem like this is the right use/place for it. Wikiversity seemed perfect, but is not possible.

Yes posting as a pic would do it, but DIYE's management don't seem to really want me there. Also it's questionable how long imgur would host it; they've taken down my stuff after a year or so, before.

IOW, my motivation is low at this point.

Last edited:
@rooter How dynamic does this site need to be? I would be willing to host it on my AWS S3. This way it's cheap and easy to maintain. PM me if your interested.
Thanks tyson, completely static. But that would mean yet another conversion. (to HTML3/CSS) {yaaay}. Also I'd need to make a master index, have a domain name, DNS A record, etc.

Seems like the safest way where I'd have the most control is to host it myself in MediaWiki. That would be something else to learn and set up, but would be permanent. (until I'm dead in a couple years) And others could add to and improve. It would just take time.

Yeah, it would have to be more or less static. Templates help with all the CSS and what not. I have domains already but if another was needed then yes it would need to be registered. I use Route53 for DNS so I would handle all the infrastructure stuff.

Yeah, definitely the most control there. I hope you find a way to share all the knowledge you've built up. It's sorely needed in this community.

turns out the car I won at auction does NOT have a key. It was claimed there was a key. Although I never considered rebuilding the car I did like the idea of moving it into my garage. Guess I'll have to make some skates for it and shove it, I mean rent something to shove it.

turns out the car I won at auction does NOT have a key. It was claimed there was a key. Although I never considered rebuilding the car I did like the idea of moving it into my garage. Guess I'll have to make some skates for it and shove it, I mean rent something to shove it.
Sounds like the auction house did some false advertisement. Is there any recourse ?

As far as moving the car around, something like this might work.
https://www.amazon.com/5060-Tire-Sk...0UAGDTC/ref=pd_sbs_60_t_0/144-7849815-8901842

@rooter if you have something, anything, I would be willing to help host it. I think a number of us would. Even if it's a PDF created by exporting an OpenOffice document or something. I am definitely more of an "information wants to be free" guy, and the whole "your car is a iPhone with wheels" model Tesla is pushing needs to be fought. I could go off on a tangent about all the recent downgrades here (nag-gate, then battery-gate, then charge-gate), but I'll stop.

I just know that for myself with an AP1 car, I noticed firmware updates were making things worse, not better, for me. So, I stopped updating at (V8) 2018.16, just before the nags started increasing. I was perfectly content to sit at that version of firmware until the end of time, and I would have -- I happily drove for over a year on that firmware, until the eMMC died on me. The replacement unit (done by Tesla -- my car's not salvage) was (V9) 2019.x, and talk about horrible -- getting a year and a half of downgrades (battery capacity cap, supercharging rate nerf, massive reduction in regen braking, V9 then V10 UI, slow-downs due to bloat) was eye-opening. I can see clearly that I need a way to get off this downgrade treadmill. I've been putting off rooting for a while, but early this week I finally plunked down the cash to get a separate ICU/MCU for bench testing and to practice extracting firmware from the eMMC before it starts failing.

My ideal situation would be to figure out:
- Is it possible to downgrade everything from 2019.40 to 2018.16? That would mean gateway, CID, all the ECUs. I'm not sure it's possible but the Fusee Gelee exploit seems to be a possible way forward. I'd also need to find somebody with an image of that firmware version.
- How can I build out a few services which mirror the ones I care about for the vehicle, since at some point it'll be unable to communicate with Tesla anymore?
- Is it possible to augment/fix the existing environment, by building UI software of my own to run on the MCU? For example, Spotify for old V8 firmware? Maybe a modern browser engine? Now I'm just dreaming, lol.
Basically, I want to freeze time at a specific (old) firmware version, and then try to backport what I can to that version so it doesn't become totally obsolete. If I can document my efforts (success or failure), then it'll help others who come after me that wish to try doing the same thing, whatever their reasons may be.

Anyway, I have mostly lurked here for the past 2.5 years since I got my CPO P90D, but I appreciate your efforts to document and help out where you can, particularly for older vehicles. Once my benchtest systems arrive, I'll be trying to figure out and document my adventures in getting root and learning what I can about the (sub)systems. If you can repost the rooting info, even if it's not complete, I would be VERY interested (and motivated) to work through it. If I can help by hosting the static info in some format on my own servers, I'm willing to do that also.

So say I get a salvage car and restore it. How do I know whether the original owner still has it on their account and can possibly control it from their app? Does Tesla do something to prevent this? Should I?
I believe, when you submit the information to Tesla for a new account it is one way that they catch that it is a rebuilt title. So, if you can avoid doing that, Tesla may not have discovery.

I was in the same boat salvage without the key walk into tesla said lost my key they ran my vin asked me what day next week to send the ranger and I have running salvage

I was in the same boat salvage without the key walk into tesla said lost my key they ran my vin asked me what day next week to send the ranger and I have running salvage

So they could not offer you a key at the service center? Did you see the process the tech went through? I wonder because the receptionist at the service center relayed that I could pick up a key and program it myself. I tend to believe there was a failure to communicate in the call.

@rooter if you have something, anything, I would be willing to help host it. I think a number of us would.
I've decided that this has to be a MediaWiki deal. I've slowly started getting it set up on my own server but question how long I can support it. This way, others could modify, add to, and improve it at their will, with peer review.

If you have a means to support MediaWiki I'd happily move the articles there. I was about to buy its own domain, "{something}-tesla-tech.com". Being a pedant, .com ($8.99/yr) isn't the most appropriate but is cheaper than .info or .org ($12.99/yr).

My ideal situation would be to figure out:
- Is it possible to downgrade everything from 2019.40 to 2018.16? That would mean gateway, CID, all the ECUs. I'm not sure it's possible but the Fusee Gelee exploit seems to be a possible way forward. I'd also need to find somebody with an image of that firmware version.
All ECM images are signature-checked (except gateway) by the boot coprocessor inside the Tegra. The boot co-processor on reset, boots to the Spansion chip and builds the Tegra's OS image in RAM. This signature-checking is done in a fundamental mode of the boot co-processor, analogous to a BIOS. Fusee Gelee puts the co-processor in not just RCM mode, but in a fundamental RCM mode where signature checking can be turned off. My theory is this means you can downgrade the firmware. The Fusee Gelee crack can not be fixed by Tesla without replacing the hardware, so is unpatchable and I wish were publicized. A certain member has adapted Fusee Gelee to Tesla and I believe I have his work, but will not release it without his permission. I've never released others' work without their permission, and will never.

- How can I build out a few services which mirror the ones I care about for the vehicle, since at some point it'll be unable to communicate with Tesla anymore?
Presumably you mean the phone app. I am confident that Ingineer's (and maybe Tesla's) phone app can be reversed and adapted to your own server. There is a way to set up your server to fetch vitals from your car and serve them to a web browser, and why not to your phone, which would give you remote control and access to all information of Developer Mode. I just haven't had time to do any of this.

- Is it possible to augment/fix the existing environment, by building UI software of my own to run on the MCU? For example, Spotify for old V8 firmware? Maybe a modern browser engine? Now I'm just dreaming, lol.
I don't see a need for a new MCU UI. I am sure there's a way to build your own apps for the MCU to, say, access data on the extra flash when you've upgraded the eMMC (music?), wrap a browser, get command-line, etc. Probably just need an SDK for the Tegra.

Reactions: scaesare
regarding my salvaged 3 without key.
Tesla's approach as of 1/10/2020 is, it has to be recertified by them to get a key configured. I'm just back from a 3 hour round trip to Phoenix where a half a dozen folks there tried to help out. Final call: no soup for you.
Now, tesla works on the notion each moon phase represents a new policy, so who knows what it was or will be.

Reactions: KyleDay
regarding my salvaged 3 without key.
Tesla's approach as of 1/10/2020 is, it has to be recertified by them to get a key configured. I'm just back from a 3 hour round trip to Phoenix where a half a dozen folks there tried to help out. Final call: no soup for you.
Now, tesla works on the notion each moon phase represents a new policy, so who knows what it was or will be.
Hopefully you tried both Service Centers and didn't clue them in that this is a salvage. The Tempe SC does not help salvage vehicle owners. I don't know if Scottsdale is better at helping... I'm just curious what they want for recert these days.

Hopefully you tried both Service Centers and didn't clue them in that this is a salvage.
well no, I figured I'd expose myself as an idiot for losing both key cards and my phone so I didn't try to hide. Kind of silly, seeing that ship has been out to sea for a long time. But actually, to configure the key they said they wanted to connect to tesla, where they would see everything.