Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe post "If anyone... PM me." Then M0rpH3x could post their success without using their name.

I would try it, if I knew a place to buy a salvage car already rebuilt, cheaper than a clean-title. Rich already sold all of his years ago.
My 2020-21 MSLR was hit at front fender, driver’s side with body damage continuing along entire vehicle to rear fender; someone turned left into me.

Car was slated for repair but after waiting over 2 months for parts was declared total loss after frame damage was detected upon measuring.

24k on odometer.

Car is at coparts in Pennsylvania:

Attachments

• BC126BF1-2B7E-4AFF-A844-D4467C54B5AE.png
    BC126BF1-2B7E-4AFF-A844-D4467C54B5AE.png
    295.2 KB · Views: 118
  • DA497272-7C00-4C8E-90C3-567B2D7A56DE.png
    DA497272-7C00-4C8E-90C3-567B2D7A56DE.png
    245.5 KB · Views: 63
  • EA9EF8A8-918A-41E4-A422-13B9D2579F06.png
    EA9EF8A8-918A-41E4-A422-13B9D2579F06.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 4D1E32E5-0AC4-425D-83EF-EE3F1BB0D63F.jpeg
    4D1E32E5-0AC4-425D-83EF-EE3F1BB0D63F.jpeg
    875.1 KB · Views: 66
BCH said they aren't willing to share their source for triple-lip seals, in fear of running out or buying them all and jacking up the price.
They rebuild enough of them that they have 2 extra cleaned stators on the shelf to reduce rebuild time by eliminating the need to wait for shipping both ways on the stators.

howardc64 has an extensive write-up on seal types and sources at Tesla LDU - Parts

There's also testing of different seals going on by DIY'ers at Tesla Large Drive Unit (LDU) Motor Teardown and maintenance - Page 11 - openinverter forum

I asked about warranty and I'll update when BCH responds.

BCH said they aren't willing to share their source for triple-lip seals…
I understand. I’m not looking to buy a seal. Just glad to know that there might be third parties outside of Pittsburg that can get them. I’d definitely not spend more for Tesla to put the single lip version in if it doesn’t hold up.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Help. Wrecked my own 2014 S and insurance totaled it and I bought it back.

Hood, headlight, fender, bumper, radiator + shutter, left condenser + fan + shutter, control arm, fog light, one parking sensor, driver airbag + knee airbag, a lot of plastic behind bumper, all replaced. Seat belt retractor and SRS module sent out to safetyrestore to repair and now installed.

Body wise it is briefly put together so we can drive. Coolant system all reconnected and air purged thru service mode. Electrical all buttoned up. But, we have a few issues.

All parking sensors are working and don't throw a shortGround error, but the "park assist unavailable" message still pops up. There are a few other messages as well in attached. Not sure what activeAero means, and the right shutter condenser throwing no feedback is also confusing since the LEFT driver's side condenser was replaced but not the right side. Already checked the connections too, they are tight.

I also believe I need to recalibrate the shutters on the left/right side in front of the condenser since they were reinstalled. We definitely need Toolbox 3 for this, right? No other way to calibrate them like with Service Mode? If so, I would need to go to a shop who has Toolbox to get it done there, or just do it myself but pay for the software.

Any suggestions for the other codes? I don't see a code dictionary anywhere to diagnose.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3772.JPG
    IMG_3772.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 55
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3771.JPG
    IMG_3771.JPG
    361.5 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I had to do a similar repair to my 2017 Model S. I hope my experience can help.

Regarding the shutter, yes, they exchange left and right, and it’s terribly confusing. But I got that error for years and it never bothered me. Now, if someone can solve the mystery of what the hell is going on (the shutter actually moves!), I would kindly appreciate it. Recalibration won’t work. I tried it with toolbox and did not solve the problem.

Did you reset the air suspension module? They hold crash data, and it won’t work unless reset.

I replaced the park sensor and got it working immediately. Did you check the harness? Mine was damaged and I repaired it (following Tesla’s guidelines). The connections are good if they carry over from one end to the other end of the sensor. You might want to check for continuity with your multimeter. It’s a pain, because you need to try all these pins and connectors, but then you can rule out the harness. Also, I understand you saw all the sensors working in service mode, is that correct? This sounds silly, but a “hard reset” might fix something. Hard reset = disconnexct 12V battery, then main loop, and wait some time.

You have some DAS errors. I guess they are related to your problem with the parking sensors. Once you fix the sensors, you most likely will get DAS back.

By the way, good job! That was a hell of a repair. I hope you had fun!

Regarding the THC, I tried two thousand power cycles, and I calibrated at some point afterwards, and it never fixed anything. But yeah, if someone tries, let me know.
I guess that if you pull out the 12V and the HV loop, you power cycle everything (DAS and THC), so you don’t have to check individual fuses.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
I don't know that they always use an adapter cable, I thought sometimes they re-pin the connectors. (That may depend on the age of the original MCU1.)
Part of 1004422-xx-P, prior to 12/21/2015 <-- LHD Wiring Harness (Has black X428 connector)
Part of 1004422-xx-Q, introduced 12/21/2015 <-- LHD Wiring Harness (No longer has black X428 connector)

Has anyone determined a mapping/differences between the two? I'm attempting to install an older MCU with X428 in a 2014 P85 that apparently had the wiring harness upgraded at some point because the harness does not have an X428 connector. I'm trying to determine what wiring would need to change in order to use the older CID with X428 instead of the slightly rearranged newer CID style that has a small green amphenol connector and a maroon hsd instead of the X428.

That sounds like the kind of thing you would find in the wiring diagrams. Aren’t they available in the service webpage?
1691077348988.png

Yes, there is this describing the LIN connections. But not sure what else may or may not have changed.

Black X428 Pin#19 LIN3 connects/moved to X429 Pin #11 which should be a Red with Grey striped wire if I'm right about the harness change. This would be for Mirror leveling.

Black X428 Pin# 10 LIN2 connects/moved to X429 (Light Grey) Pin# 2 which should be a Black with violet stripe going to connect X777 (not sure what that is) connecting HomeLink and LIN-IBS-MCU-RWD (Intelligent Battery Sensor )

There's also a green connector on the new harness that has nowhere to go and I can't find any information on it in the service manuals.

I guess you’ll need to go through the pages and try to map all the pins. And some pins might be unused, which makes the whole job a bit frustrating, because you don’t know if you got them all…
I think I found a good way of mapping it out... the 2015 circuit diagram has blocks for pre/post 12/21/2015. I just searched the PDF for "12/21/2015" and noted all the changes. The only pin that was newly introduced in the 2015 Q harness was Vstby from the HV BMS

Descriptionprior to 12/21/2015Pintroduced 12/21/2015Q
-ConnectorPinConnectorPin
Vstbyn/an/aX4293
LIN4X4289X4291
LIN2X42810X4292
LIN3X42819X42911
LIN1X42820X4291
ACC-SNSX4292X4303
DRV-SNSX42911X43013
HVAC-SNSX42912X43012

I'm not sure what the deal is with LIN1 but it's labeled and not connected in 2012, then in 2015 as X429 pin#1 still not connected. LIN4 is also labeled X429 pin#1 and is connected in 2015. So I assume we can just ignore the LIN1 line entirely as it appears to be unused but I'm including it here because it's referenced in the PDFs.

Last edited:
Reactions: M0rpH3x