Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage cars: Tesla permanently disabling SC from supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never heard anywhere that it's a read only EEPROM (any link to sources?), and if it's read only, how can they change it remotely to disable supercharging?

Yes, follow the link in the first post and all the discussion by @wk057
As for other types others mentioned CHAdeMO still works.
This discussion pointed to a Rich Rebuilds video that tested it still worked even with Supercharging disabled in a Model 3:

From the Setec CCS adapter, we know the two protocols function differently (which is why Model 3 is limited to CHAdeMO speeds using the Setec Adapter).
Yes it works... until it stops working. Tesla has the policy of disabling 3rd party DC charging since 02/2020, but they starting enforcing it very recently. Just wait for it.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
If I own a Business and pay for a supercharger is it mine or Tesla's
Actually this is a very good point, but most likely you'll have to sign some predatory clauses in order to install the supercharger. On the other hand, buying salvage is free from predatory clauses!

Now, if you build your own supercharger because you figured out how it works and wanted to have one at home or in your business (and again, @wk057 did that, so I'm not talking about something impossible), Tesla has nothing to say about that.

It's concerning/interesting that many companies are embracing OTA updates for their cars. On one hand they can improve the vehicle post sale. Obviously everyone enjoys getting somehthing for free. I sure liked getting Spotify as a streaming service a couple months after I bought the car used from Tesla. However, I didn't like when they took Ludicrous mode away a few months after that, claiming a "software glitch" and that if the car did not have that feature listed on the motor vehicle purchase agreement (MVPA) then they could not put it back on. Fortunately I'd saved an email from the sales advisor prior to purchase which confirmed the features of the car including ludicrous. After sharing that, ludicrous was magically restored a few days later. This exchange was truly telling for how OTA updates can be abused by the manufacturer if they choose, just as they are doing with salvaged cars.

Yes, follow the link in the first post and all the discussion by @wk057
Are you referring to this tweet?

It says EEPROM, doesn't say it's read-only. The fact that it is able to be toggled by a remote command by the supercharger means by definition it's not read-only, but actually programmable (that's what the supercharger is doing when sending that signal).

There are other EPROMs (single E) that can't be erased in-circuit and must erased by a UV light before being programmed (I've dealt with these in other projects) and these are considered essentially read only in consumer applications (it's not technically truly read only given you can take them out of the circuit and reprogram them, but that's something your typical consumer will never do).

There are also EEPROM chips that can be electronically erased without needing UV light, but the circuit it is in does not support that function. These can be pulled off (if they are in sockets) or desoldered and put into a programmer to reprogram (I've done this myself personally also).
EEPROM
Yes it works... until it stops working. Tesla has the policy of disabling 3rd party DC charging since 02/2020, but they starting enforcing it very recently. Just wait for it.
Do you have a link to that policy? In the previous discussions on this, I only heard hearsay that third party charging is also disabled, but there are others that say that is not true and there are plenty of counter examples.

I never heard anywhere that it's a read only EEPROM (any link to sources?), and if it's read only, how can they change it remotely to disable supercharging?
OTP (one time programmable). think 'fuses'.

I have been suggesting they burn the fsd license into the car so that even they cant take it away again. (crickets....)

OTP (one time programmable). think 'fuses'.

I have been suggesting they burn the fsd license into the car so that even they cant take it away again. (crickets....)
But OTP chips are programmed at factory. I wouldn't imagine they have a OTP chip that isn't programmed yet that is just waiting from them to use to disable supercharging function. Tesla doesn't have that kind of foresight (or they would have designed the supercharger protocol from the start not to rely on in car authorization).

• Informative
But OTP chips are programmed at factory. I wouldn't imagine they have a OTP chip that isn't programmed yet that is just waiting from them to use to disable supercharging function. Tesla doesn't have that kind of foresight (or they would have designed the supercharger protocol from the start not to rely on in car authorization).
there are secure write operations that can be done without special programmer devices.

they are so secure, once written, that's it. one chip our group was working on had 4 slots for secure crypto keys and if we didn't do it right, we'd have to throw the chip away (expensive infineon thingie).

otp is great for when you dont want someone going back on their word ;) I can think of a few good uses for it wrt tesla and how they giveth and taketh away. ramen.

Do you have a link to that policy? In the previous discussions on this, I only heard hearsay that third party charging is also disabled, but there are others that say that is not true and there are plenty of counter examples.
In this thread I uploaded the tech note explaining Tesla's policy.

In this thread I uploaded the tech note explaining Tesla's policy.

Edit: Nevermind, I did a quick search previously and didn't catch it, but this line is much more restrictive than the similar line about the inspection:
"Supercharging and/or “fast charging” through 3rd party chargers of the Salvage-Titled vehicle is permanently disabled."

So far they seem to not have done that for 3rd party charging (or did you find examples where they did?). Perhaps it's a line they might not want to cross, as there really isn't any justification given they don't own those third party networks.

• Informative
So far they seem to not have done that for 3rd party charging (or did you find examples where they did?). Perhaps it's a line they might not want to cross, as there really isn't any justification given they don't own those third party networks.
Yes, I started to see reports of people with 3rd party DC charging deactivated. I guess it's starting to roll out slowly, but it will eventually reach everybody.

This is like when salvage Model 3 were spared from this policy and could supercharge. People didn't understand why, until one day SC was disabled in salvaged Model 3 as well.

It will come.

Lesson is don’t buy salvage crap bc you are cheap and trying to save money.
Certainly I wouldn't recommend you to work with a salvage car, as you don't look savvy enough, nor seem interested in learning (no offense meant)...

...but I also really hope you don't have to relocate in another country after investing in an expensive Tesla, because an exported Tesla is also an unsupported vehicle, and you can lose a hell of a lot of money by selling here/buying there (specially if you move from the US to anywhere else, where Teslas are more expensive).

eventually, tesla may piss off the wrong person or persons and legal changes may come.

I hope they do. they are essentially a 'cowboy company', getting away with quite a lot of abuses and no one is really calling them on it (legally).

they will only be able to do that so much longer and that's it. when it comes, no one knows, but its clear that this kind of customer-abusive behavior will end one way or another. it would be nice if they did it the 'easy way' instead of the 'hard' legally forced way.

but this is why we have government. because companies, when left entirely to their own, will screw customers, employees and anyone else they can. its the american way, afterall (sigh).

its reasonable, imho, to charge a fee to inspect a car after its been fixed. but to permanently disable features - that's pretty illegal sounding, to me (ianal). I hope tesla gets beaten up on this, eventually. I hate bullies and tesla feels a lot like a big bully, these days. they need to be knocked down a few levels, and perhaps try on a coat of humility once in a while.

eventually, tesla may piss off the wrong person or persons and legal changes may come.

I hope they do. they are essentially a 'cowboy company', getting away with quite a lot of abuses and no one is really calling them on it (legally).

they will only be able to do that so much longer and that's it. when it comes, no one knows, but its clear that this kind of customer-abusive behavior will end one way or another. it would be nice if they did it the 'easy way' instead of the 'hard' legally forced way.

but this is why we have government. because companies, when left entirely to their own, will screw customers, employees and anyone else they can. its the american way, afterall (sigh).

its reasonable, imho, to charge a fee to inspect a car after its been fixed. but to permanently disable features - that's pretty illegal sounding, to me (ianal). I hope tesla gets beaten up on this, eventually. I hate bullies and tesla feels a lot like a big bully, these days. they need to be knocked down a few levels, and perhaps try on a coat of humility once in a while.
Our government is the worth corporation on earth. You are funny.

Certainly I wouldn't recommend you to work with a salvage car, as you don't look savvy enough, nor seem interested in learning (no offense meant)...

...but I also really hope you don't have to relocate in another country after investing in an expensive Tesla, because an exported Tesla is also an unsupported vehicle, and you can lose a hell of a lot of money by selling here/buying there (specially if you move from the US to anywhere else, where Teslas are more expensive).
Yeah, because everyone does that every day. Taking their cars around the globe 24/7.

Other EV automakers don't have any problems with salvage cars. No charger ever blowed up because a salvage car was using it. This is a cheap excuse they use to hide the real reasons behind their policy.
Again, other manufacturers don't own their primary charging network. They have plausible deniability by saying that "there was no way to know if it was the salvage car or the 3rd party charging network that caused the issue."