Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage cars: Tesla permanently disabling SC from supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yes, Tesla WILL disable all DC charging from your salvage car (if you allow them). The fact that they haven't disabled it yet doesn't mean that they won't.

Don't you guys remember when people started rebuilding model 3s, that they could supercharge? And then, after some months, bye bye SC. I don't know why, Tesla takes its time with these issues. But they will do it, no doubt.

And it's not me who's saying it. It's Tesla in their policy.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
So yes, Tesla WILL disable all DC charging from your salvage car (if you allow them). The fact that they haven't disabled it yet doesn't mean that they won't.

Don't you guys remember when people started rebuilding model 3s, that they could supercharge? And then, after some months, bye bye SC. I don't know why, Tesla takes its time with these issues. But they will do it, no doubt.

And it's not me who's saying it. It's Tesla in their policy.
Great

Well, it seems tesla is backtracking...

Thanks to @verygreen for the update. Let's see how it works out...
From the previous discussion I wouldn't be happy too soon. It could be they are discontinuing the internal car flag based authentication method and switching to one on the supercharger side (in context to previous discussion and also recent talks of Tesla perhaps opening the network to other brand EVs to get federal funding). With a mechanism on the supercharger side, they can still easily blacklist salvage vehicles.

From the previous discussion I wouldn't be happy too soon. It could be they are discontinuing the internal car flag based authentication method and switching to one on the supercharger side (in context to previous discussion and also recent talks of Tesla perhaps opening the network to other brand EVs to get federal funding). With a mechanism on the supercharger side, they can still easily blacklist salvage vehicles.
I agree to be cautious, but if it's like that, you just avoid superchargers and keep 3rd party DC charging.

Although my car has FUSC, I would very gladly give it up if I knew Tesla was not going to mess with my car. Right now my car is rooted just to keep 3rd party DC charging (and to adapt it to Europe, but once this is done, I could let go).

• Informative
If Tesla is going to disable DC fast Supercharging on salvage title cars they BETTER do it for none Tesla cars as well. This would have to be controlled from the Supercharger side. Tesla would not be able to disable DC fast charging from other sources for other EV brands. So none Tesla vehicles might not be able to Supercharge but could still DC fast charge from other vendors, while Tesla owners would not be able to DC fast charge from ANY vendor! Allowing DC fast charging for all cars could be a tricky problem for Tesla if you assume Tesla does not want to piss off their customer base.

• Love
If Tesla is going to disable DC fast Supercharging on salvage title cars they BETTER do it for none Tesla cars as well. This would have to be controlled from the Supercharger side. Tesla would not be able to disable DC fast charging from other sources for other EV brands. So none Tesla vehicles might not be able to Supercharge but could still DC fast charge from other vendors, while Tesla owners would not be able to DC fast charge from ANY vendor! Allowing DC fast charging for all cars could be a tricky problem for Tesla if you assume Tesla does not want to piss off their customer base.
Tesla is not going to, Tesla already disables SC in salvage cars, as well as 3rd party DC charging. But I agree with you. Since SC access will be via the Tesla app, they might do some kind of vin check your registration. Of course, as the SC has no means to find out the car that is connected to it, it will be easy to circumvent.

As long as the car fully checks out and has a Tesla service center's approval, I think that enabling the Supercharger capabilities on salvaged vehicles is a good idea. The vehicle's systems should be closely monitoring the state of the battery as well as the temperature of all battery components always. If any issue is detected, Supercharging should stop or slow down significantly with a message generated such as "Supercharging issue detected. Please contact Tesla."

As long as the car fully checks out and has a Tesla service center's approval, I think that enabling the Supercharger capabilities on salvaged vehicles is a good idea. The vehicle's systems should be closely monitoring the state of the battery as well as the temperature of all battery components always. If any issue is detected, Supercharging should stop or slow down significantly with a message generated such as "Supercharging issue detected. Please contact Tesla."
Everybody agrees on that. Except for Tesla. (And @WhiteWi).

We need national right to repair laws really, not just for this case but especially for farmers and heavy equipment folks getting f'd by JD and Cat. When teslas behavior mirrors that of the worst heavy equipment (Legacy of legacy) manufacturers ...we have a problem.
It's not just "repair" needs that can render cars titled as salvaged. Personal experience with an '89 Porsche speedster that was salvaged. Stolen for the engine - the salvage owner put another engine in it. A NEW engine! Still, it was salvaged. Point being - a car COULD have nothing wrong - or a minimum of wheels stolen, or the multi function display. Yet it's salvaged.

Last edited:
It's not just "repair" needs that can render cars titled as salvaged. Personal experience with an '89 Porsche speedster that was salvaged. Stolen for the engine - the salvage owner put another engine in it. A NEW engine! Still, it was salvaged. Point being - a car COULD have nothing wrong - or a minimum of wheels stolen, or the multi function display. Yet it's salvaged.
And in the case of Tesla, they might flag a vehicle as unsupported just by changing country. Just imagine committing the felony of taking your US Tesla to Canada...

And in the case of Tesla, they might flag a vehicle as unsupported just by changing country. Just imagine committing the felony of taking your US Tesla to Canada...
You're saying that a US car can't supercharge in Canada and vice versa? I doubt that to be the case or we would hear about it, as I'm sure plenty of people have made that trip before.

Last edited:
You're saying that a US car can't supercharge in Canada and vice versa? I doubt that to be the case or we would hear about it, as I'm sure plenty of people have made that trip before.

Yeah. And european cars can supercharge in any european country, no problem. Most of the Teslas in Finland are imported from the Netherlands..

North America uses different kind of charging connector. For Europe they decided to used the standard Type2 connector, so you can charge at public chargers without adapters. Also european cars always have three phase AC chargers, when US only has one phase. So even AC charging would be limited to about 3.6kW or 7.2kW on an imported car, depending if you have 16A or 32A fuses..

However, even if you retrofit all the necessary hardware, supercharging will not work. I guess Tesla doesn't like tinkerers.

Yeah. And european cars can supercharge in any european country, no problem. Most of the Teslas in Finland are imported from the Netherlands..

North America uses different kind of charging connector. For Europe they decided to used the standard Type2 connector, so you can charge at public chargers without adapters. Also european cars always have three phase AC chargers, when US only has one phase. So even AC charging would be limited to about 3.6kW or 7.2kW on an imported car, depending if you have 16A or 32A fuses..

However, even if you retrofit all the necessary hardware, supercharging will not work. I guess Tesla doesn't like tinkerers.
Part of it has to do with gray market also, practically every automaker out there works against the gray market. People that legitimately are importing their personal cars via shipping (by personal I mean the person actual owned the car and was moving between countries, not a gray market reseller; I believe most of the time people who do this are from military deployments) between such different regions are such a niche market it's not really a consideration.

The other thing is the certification of the vehicles as they may not necessarily meet local standards. The automakers don't want to be seen as endorsing such vehicles for liability reasons. This is not typically an issue with countries that are next to each other which people regularly drive between, given there would be an existing legal framework already to allow vehicles to legally drive among those countries.

It's not so black and white. Tesla is not a super big brother, checking everyone what you do with your car. But when they find out because you're not careful, they take action.

Of course, the military are always spared. But if your check all these videos of people in Eastern Europe supercharging, they are very careful not to show you any sign that would id the vehicle. Just in case.

Also, these guys are not a good example. They can hack everything, so yeah, their cars supercharge. And have FSD. And whatever you want (pay them for).

Said that, going on a trip to Canada with your US Tesla won't hurt you. But registering your US Tesla in Canada (and sending the registration info to Tesla) might.