Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Satonic Soft Close Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody have experience with the new Satonic Soft Close Frunk kit? From what I can see, the soft close mechanism doesn't involve the latch spring or cable. Supposedly, the mechanism closes the hood and then releases. I would assume this would reduce any issues about the hood getting stuck.

Has anybody have experience with the new Satonic Soft Close Frunk kit? From what I can see, the soft close mechanism doesn't involve the latch spring or cable. Supposedly, the mechanism closes the hood and then releases. I would assume this would reduce any issues about the hood getting stuck.

There is a thread here that I found by searching TMC for "Satonic", on this topic:

Reactions: towndrunk
Upvote 0
It's on CyberMonday sale right now off Aliexpress for $65 ($81 less $16).

Agree this is a good option instead of a fully automatic frunk kit. Installation also looks fairly straightforward.

Teslasy has a kit too which does the same thing but costs much more. The mechanism looks to be all in one unit versus the Satonic which has the motor mounted off to the side.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is my understanding that a point of failure for the power frunk has been the latch motor going bad that prevents the hood from opening. My concern is whether the Soft Close Frunk kit has any safety features to prevent this from happening. From what I can see from the Satonic ads is that the latch motor for the Soft Close Frunk is different than the latch motor used in the power frunk. So far their customer service hasn't been all that helpful in understanding the difference. Also, I haven't found any helpful videos about the installation of this Soft Close kit.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
I think the kits utilize the OEM release motor and their own latching/soft-close motor. The one I installed on my S includes a manual release cable in case something fails. There is an OEM manual release cable as well, but the kit I got replaced it. (Tesla Model S)

Upvote 0
T
I think the kits utilize the OEM release motor and their own latching/soft-close motor. The one I installed on my S includes a manual release cable in case something fails. There is an OEM manual release cable as well, but the kit I got replaced it. (Tesla Model S)
That's interesting. Have you tried the manual release cable? Does it work to release the motor? I'm asking because of problems with the manual release cable on the Power Frunk versions.

Also, what is your opinion of the kit?

Upvote 0
T

That's interesting. Have you tried the manual release cable? Does it work to release the motor? I'm asking because of problems with the manual release cable on the Power Frunk versions.

Also, what is your opinion of the kit?
I tried the manual release when I installed the kit and it worked. I never used it since though. I didn't get this particular brand and don't know what brand I did install, so ... not very helpful. 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
I have the 2016 MX, would love to have the $99 deal instead of spending $500 for the self opening, I just hate the two hand thing on such a soft metal hood. The AliExpress link seems to imply it only supports the newer S/X. Yet this power frunk works on ANY 2015-2023 MX...
Nice find. This is the same kit as Teslasy. I wonder how different the design and quality is compared to the Satonic version? It's hard to tell from the pictures.

Upvote 0
It is my understanding that a point of failure for the power frunk has been the latch motor going bad that prevents the hood from opening. My concern is whether the Soft Close Frunk kit has any safety features to prevent this from happening. From what I can see from the Satonic ads is that the latch motor for the Soft Close Frunk is different than the latch motor used in the power frunk. So far their customer service hasn't been all that helpful in understanding the difference. Also, I haven't found any helpful videos about the installation of this Soft Close kit.
The installation instructions are on their main site. There is a google doc and a very basic installation video.

Upvote 0
Thx, I was hoping they might have one for my old MX by now, but I guess the days of getting new accessories are over, I ordered the traditional full frunk popper so I can close it from inside. It is a cool option if I knew anyone who hasn't already gotten the full package.

Upvote 0