Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw 6 Model Xs in final inspection area on the factory tour today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a few hours I will be taking my third factory tour since I picked up my S at the factory in Dec 2013. I've always had to sign an NDA. Pretty sure I will have to sign an NDA today, and pretty sure that everyone who takes the tour is required to sign an NDA.
I agree with @Canuck that it is okay for someone who has taken the tour to publicly state that they saw completed X's in the factory. Not a secret that Tesla is producing the X in the Fremont factory.

No secret at all.
A secret would be you posting patent drawings or similar.
Number of X, colors, status of completion of cars no secret at all.

In a few hours I will be taking my third factory tour since I picked up my S at the factory in Dec 2013. I've always had to sign an NDA. Pretty sure I will have to sign an NDA today, and pretty sure that everyone who takes the tour is required to sign an NDA.
I agree with @Canuck that it is okay for someone who has taken the tour to publicly state that they saw completed X's in the factory. Not a secret that Tesla is producing the X in the Fremont factory.

A lot of people don't register the fact that they're signing an NDA when they sign in electronically on the iPad. Pretty sure you will again, too.

But there is a difference between 'I saw some X's on the tour today!' and 'I saw six in inspection at the end of the line'. The former is interesting, the latter could arguably be called material. Remember, there are hordes of shorts, analysts, reservation holders, etc. waiting for specific information.

If 'six in inspection & here are their colors' when we've had a dearth of info on when deliveries will start isn't considered information covered under an NDA, what exactly WOULD be information considered covered by an NDA? (adding for clarification 'what information could be gleaned on a tour that you'd consider covered by NDA?')

Any case, too late now, eh? I appreciate the OP's enthusiasm. He's not the first to share info that a lot of people don't think is covered by NDA. But y'know, if we keep rationalizing every time info is shared, they're going to realize that NDA's don't work all that well & we're going to end up with a 'demo tour' at Tesla where we only see a pre-vetted amount of info, along with a lot of video, and exactly the same every time. We all know there are some people who have snuck photos. We see plenty of posts with 'what I saw today'. And we all know how these forums are scoured for new info by outside interests.

Last edited:

Yeah, if tesla mgmt didn't want people to see the MXs in final inspection they wouldn't have the tour go near there.

Or, they won't be running tours at all.

Yeah, if tesla mgmt didn't want people to see the MXs in final inspection they wouldn't have the tour go near there.

Or, they won't be running tours at all.

I'm honestly trying to figure out why people think they sign an NDA before a tour, if it's believed that anything confidential should be hidden from view. What do people think the tour NDA actually covers?

I'm honestly trying to figure out why people think they sign an NDA before a tour, if it's believed that anything confidential should be hidden from view. What do people think the tour NDA actually covers?

I guess legally it covers more than people think (with info like here being the border case). On the other hand, if I were Tesla I would put the NDA such that it covers a lot so I could decide later what I really want to enforce, like if people accidentally
saw something they weren´t supposed to. Disclaimer: Not a lawyer, just my feeling.

Can you take a picture of the NDA? Or would that violate the NDA? :)

I think the NDA is like an insurance policy for Tesla. They can always revert to it whenever an unplanned event has a negative outcome for them (e.g. to have a thread removed). But having a tour group stroll past 6 Model-Xs almost seems like a set-up to me. I'm sure Tesla was hoping this information would get out. ;-)

A lot of people don't register the fact that they're signing an NDA when they sign in electronically on the iPad. Pretty sure you will again, too.

Either I'm going senile or crazy because I have no recollection of signing a paper or ticking a box on an iPad when I toured. All I remember is a bit of a "does and don'ts" speech mainly around the use of cameras. My tour was in the summer of 2013, organized as an add-on to the TESLIVE conference, so maybe they weren't doing NDAs back then??

I think the NDA is like an insurance policy for Tesla. They can always revert to it whenever an unplanned event has a negative outcome for them (e.g. to have a thread removed). But having a tour group stroll past 6 Model-Xs almost seems like a set-up to me. I'm sure Tesla was hoping this information would get out. ;-)

I agree completely. NDA is backup incase someone goes snooping around and finds something they shouldn't. It gives Tesla some ability to contain the situation. It would be silly for Tesla to think that the thousands of people that tour the plant yearly are not going to share the information with others. If they were really that concerned, they wouldn't allow tours.

I don't see how a whopping total of 6 Model X undergoing final inspections could possibly be material to the value of TSLA shares. We don't even know if these are vehicles going to actual customers. What's material is the production ramp rate and whether Tesla Motors will meet Elon's prediction of hundreds of units built per week by year's end.

Either I'm going senile or crazy because I have no recollection of signing a paper or ticking a box on an iPad when I toured. All I remember is a bit of a "does and don'ts" speech mainly around the use of cameras. My tour was in the summer of 2013, organized as an add-on to the TESLIVE conference, so maybe they weren't doing NDAs back then??

Every tour I've done (4 now?) was accompanied by the iPad mini based NDA that required your signature, except last year's TMC Connect, which required you to bring the signed NDA so they didn't have to wait.

Disclosing that X's were built at the X factory...

Elon will sue for revealing such important, unknown, undisclosed, information.

I think we should start a welfare fund for the poor guy, he'll need it.

Oh c'mon. Now you guys are deliberately twisting what was said and being ridiculous. I'd love if we could have a civil disagreement, but between mocking me and accusing me being so fixated on NDAs that the majority of my posts are about that, it appears we cannot.

To reiterate, since there seems to be a problem ...

There is a difference between 'hey, I saw Model X in the X factory' vs. when deliveries haven't been happening, 'I saw 6 in final inspection'. Hopefully most of you can see that difference.

And sorry, but I don't agree it's up to us to decide what is NDA and isn't from the tour or why Tesla has people sign one. Reading this thread, I'm amazed at how many think it's just fine to talk about it. Last tour I was on, when I saw some *stuff*, I simply asked the tour guide if it was confidential info or not to find out if I could share it. When I wanted photos to share here on the forum during the pizza event last year, I asked a Tesla VP to take the photos and email them to me, so there would be no mistake regarding confidentiality. I guess we all have different understandings of what it means to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Difference noted.

As far as 'it's Tesla's problem' & basically telling me to shut up? If you read my post, my issue is that this (people talking about what they see and some taking photos) is why the tour has gotten more and more restricted. And it will become more restricted in the future - at least that's what I've seen happen at other companies.

Oh c'mon. Now you guys are deliberately twisting what was said and being ridiculous. I'd love if we could have a civil disagreement, but between mocking me and accusing me being so fixated on NDAs that the majority of my posts are about that, it appears we cannot.

To reiterate, since there seems to be a problem ...

There is a difference between 'hey, I saw Model X in the X factory' vs. when deliveries haven't been happening, 'I saw 6 in final inspection'. Hopefully most of you can see that difference.

And sorry, but I don't agree it's up to us to decide what is NDA and isn't from the tour or why Tesla has people sign one. Reading this thread, I'm amazed at how many think it's just fine to talk about it. Last tour I was on, when I saw some *stuff*, I simply asked the tour guide if it was confidential info or not to find out if I could share it. When I wanted photos to share here on the forum during the pizza event last year, I asked a Tesla VP to take the photos and email them to me, so there would be no mistake regarding confidentiality. I guess we all have different understandings of what it means to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Difference noted.

As far as 'it's Tesla's problem' & basically telling me to shut up? If you read my post, my issue is that this (people talking about what they see and some taking photos) is why the tour has gotten more and more restricted. And it will become more restricted in the future - at least that's what I've seen happen at other companies.

Bonnie, you have way more experience in these matters than most, hence you understand the nuances and legal issues that can arise. I think most people don't see things at your level or understand the gravity of it. You can try to educate us if you have the patience... :)

Bonnie, you have way more experience in these matters than most, hence you understand the nuances and legal issues that can arise. I think most people don't see things at your level or understand the gravity of it. You can try to educate us if you have the patience... :)

+1
It's hard - we want to share info, but if we share it, it'll dry up the source.
Like it or not, TSLA is in the crosshairs of speculation and controversy, so people are watching - rumors and info will influence the stock price, so Tesla Motors, Inc. needs to be in control of what kind of info "leaks out."
I'm also incredibly sick of the shorts regurgitating ancient Bovine Scatological (you might know that acronym as something a little different) FUD to keep the price down, so let's not play that game. As shareholders (and fan-boys and fan-girls), I like Bonnie's approach - if in doubt, ask.