Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw the Model 3 at Monterey car week....thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact the 10% figure came from the VP of engineering, not say the VP of communications or some other C-suite personnel not involved on the engineering side gives the 10% number a little more credence.

10% is a lot more than I would have thought. That means without the aero wheels, a base Model 3 could get as little as 200 miles of range on a single charge (assuming the 220 number is indeed the EPA figure).

I'd be very interested to see testing results with and without the aero covers.

agree, this coming from engineering makes it different. that said, the ~10% may have referred to 19" wheels vs. 18" with aero covers on, i.e., some of that improved efficiency being due to smaller wheel size,rather than all of it from the aeros.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
That's way bigger than Type 2:

tesla-model-s-2016-rt-411.jpg

vs:

dscn1661-large-jpg.243003

The space on M3 for a charge port is CCS Combo-sized, and then some.

While I wouldn't be surprised to see a CCS-capability at some point, it likely will be done via an adapter like the Chademo adapter. Even in the pics you have provided, you can see the Mennekes connect is a very tight fit and that is after removing the light ring and motor. So I could imagine the Model 3 has that in a uniform housing across the globe. That doesn't mean there isn't room for something else, but it would necessitate a bigger space to have the larger connector and at least the motor housing. I wonder when we will see pics of a Euro-spec Model 3.

While I wouldn't be surprised to see a CCS-capability at some point, it likely will be done via an adapter like the Chademo adapter. Even in the pics you have provided, you can see the Mennekes connect is a very tight fit and that is after removing the light ring and motor.

But that's just the point - Tesla never allocates more space to things than necessary. They like sleek, compact, minimal. Model X ports are likewise minimal:

tesla-model-x-charging-port.jpg

They made a very significant deviation with M3. Why? What's the plan for it? That space is huge - you could hook a fire hose up there.

I wonder when we will see pics of a Euro-spec Model 3.

Haha, you wonder? ;) I'm dying to see what it's going to be like! :) Wonder if it'll take 3-phase, and if so, what the max rate will be?

Reactions: Laban
Tesla is definitely hiding some future plans behind that overly large charge port...

Yeah, if you look at the thread on what metals M3 is made of, which has diagrams of the various frame elements, you can see that there's a sizeable empty well behind the charge port. Much bigger than the charge connecting hardware which you can see on the HV lines diagram. Tesla clearly left themselves options...

Reactions: Red Sage
Ok perfect. For the Model S, my wife would be happy.

Now, for the Model 3, how's this going to work? No fob (at least not one with buttons)...

If anyone happens to get within tackling distance of an Model 3 owner, could you ask?
I wouldn't worry about it. Someone at Tesla has probably already figured it all out.

As for the inside of the car, the types of switches used to unlock or lock the door seem to be the same style as those used for the window switches. Though not labeled as such, I'd expect that for the window switches a quick tap or pull would be equivalent to an express open or express close function. Thus, for the driver's side door, the lock switch probably has a third & fourth action that would be equivalent to lock all doors and unlock all doors.

In terms of the approach to the car, chances are you will be able to set that to whatever you prefer to happen as a default setting. The car will simply do what you have told it to do. So, nothing, unlock driver side door, unlock all doors. Maybe there will be proximity sensors, so that if you stand next to the car for a certain amount of time, the other doors will open automatically -- same thing with the trunk or frunk if you stand at the back or front of the car a few seconds. Or maybe, just being in possession of the phone, while close to the car, will unlock the door handle you pull on simply because you are there, while leaving the others locked.

And in terms of a wireless signal, I doubt that will be a problem either. The phone would use Bluetooth, not the cellular signal, to connect to the car and announce your presence. Beyond that, perhaps you should find a Wife with larger hands, or with a higher level score for Dexterity in D&D? :D

But then, I tend to not worry about 'security' all that much anyway. Sure, my head is on a swivel when in public places, but there is never anyone there to be concerned about. It helps that I am apparently a rather imposing figure -- so no one messes with me at all -- at least not without backup running three-to-five deep. Strange thing -- people only like messing with someone if they think they can get away with it -- no one wants to get their butt handed to them while trying to have 'a little bit of fun'. But generally speaking, I am the single most lethal individual on the premises anywhere I go.

I wouldn't worry about it. Someone at Tesla has probably already figured it all out.

As for the inside of the car, the types of switches used to unlock or lock the door seem to be the same style as those used for the window switches. Though not labeled as such, I'd expect that for the window switches a quick tap or pull would be equivalent to an express open or express close function. Thus, for the driver's side door, the lock switch probably has a third & fourth action that would be equivalent to lock all doors and unlock all doors.

In terms of the approach to the car, chances are you will be able to set that to whatever you prefer to happen as a default setting. The car will simply do what you have told it to do. So, nothing, unlock driver side door, unlock all doors. Maybe there will be proximity sensors, so that if you stand next to the car for a certain amount of time, the other doors will open automatically -- same thing with the trunk or frunk if you stand at the back or front of the car a few seconds. Or maybe, just being in possession of the phone, while close to the car, will unlock the door handle you pull on simply because you are there, while leaving the others locked.

And in terms of a wireless signal, I doubt that will be a problem either. The phone would use Bluetooth, not the cellular signal, to connect to the car and announce your presence. Beyond that, perhaps you should find a Wife with larger hands, or with a higher level score for Dexterity in D&D? :D

But then, I tend to not worry about 'security' all that much anyway. Sure, my head is on a swivel when in public places, but there is never anyone there to be concerned about. It helps that I am apparently a rather imposing figure -- so no one messes with me at all -- at least not without backup running three-to-five deep. Strange thing -- people only like messing with someone if they think they can get away with it -- no one wants to get their butt handed to them while trying to have 'a little bit of fun'. But generally speaking, I am the single most lethal individual on the premises anywhere I go.

You concerned at all about the available headroom in the M3?

I don't know if the Model ≡ would go down this path, but I really like how my mother's Lexus does it.

If the key fob is on the driver's side, only the driver's door unlocks when you pull the handle. You can then unlock the rest of the doors from the switch in the door.

If the key fob is on the passenger's side, all doors unlock when you pull the passenger handle. Pulling the driver's door handle does nothing.

If there are key fobs on both sides (the car comes with two), the driver door handle unlocks only that one and the passenger door handle unlocks all, if it was pulled first.

So basically, let the passenger side open the door first if the phone or key card is sensed on both sides. But again, if Tesla does this, who knows.

I've got my Roadster, and even though the key fob unlocks both doors, there's not much risk of someone hiding on the other side of the car - it's small enough that they'd be seen, and I don't drive it anywhere even remotely sketchy. Or anywhere with Valet parking, but that's a different matter...

The person I am concerned about is my daughter (who is the one with the reservation). Until my wife and I bought our first car so many years ago, I never even thought about the security aspect of door unlocking. Then there were various "carjacking" events in the news, and a lot of media focus on how to remain safe, made all the more real by the thoughts of our new family and the precious cargo our cars were carrying. Car makers responded with locking and unlocking options, but I don't believe the fundamental threat has diminished. So, this stuff is still important to get right, and not be blinded by the glitzy-but-narrow use case we see in the Tesla announcement which focuses on convenience. There are many scenarios, and for my daughter's sake, I want to know that they got them right.

As an engineer I understand Tesla has a lot of possible ways to do this. What I am not seeing yet, because none of us know and Tesla hasn't said, is what has actually been implemented in the Model 3. All we do know for sure is that the historically-preferred method - the keyfob with switches - has been removed from play. What replaces it does not appear to me at first glance to be sufficient, but I will reserve judgment and some measure of hope for when we find out what they have actually done.

I'm so glad that I live in a country where you don't have to worry about stuff like this.... I don't think there's ever been a carjacking in our history. And car theft is very rare, and when it happens, usually just teens going on joyrides.

My only problem with crime and cars has been people stealing gas out of my truck. Not exactly a concern with a M3....

I'm so glad that I live in a country where you don't have to worry about stuff like this.... I don't think there's ever been a carjacking in our history. And car theft is very rare, and when it happens, usually just teens going on joyrides.

My only problem with crime and cars has been people stealing gas out of my truck. Not exactly a concern with a M3....

No gnomes have taken your truck yet because they scared the dealership personnel away and thus, couldn't actually buy one off a lot? ;)