Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a lot of rationalising and inventive workaround in this thread for what is almost certainly a stupid software bug driven by the addition of a new feature which is largely fine at 16A for the US. It's probably got some default value and it's not respecting the previous setting/last charge Amps reliably.

What's the best way to raise a bug (not a service call ideally)?

Reactions: pow216
What software version did you get on the 12th Roy W.?

my car came with 36.2.1 and I’ve had problems when using both the Tesla implemented schedule (through the car screen) and also the Rolec schedule via their app.
I’m on 2019.36.2.1 ea322ad.

I'm not surprised that you can’t get the car scheduling to work if you’re trying to use the new feature where you set the departure time. All I use is the old scheduled charging, where I set the start time for 0030. Have you tried that way?

There is a lot of rationalising and inventive workaround in this thread for what is almost certainly a stupid software bug driven by the addition of a new feature which is largely fine at 16A for the US. It's probably got some default value and it's not respecting the previous setting/last charge Amps reliably.

What's the best way to raise a bug (not a service call ideally)?
I did raise a service call. The next day the appointment was cancelled and I received a text message saying that Tesla would try to remotely diagnose the problem. The next day they sent a text asking for a lot more detail.

Good idea. Sequence for tonight will be:

Teslafi wake up: 0025
Zappi start boost: 0030
Teslafi stop charge: 0035
Teslafi start charge: 0040
Zappi stop boost: 0430

Maybe the Teslafi wake-up will be enough to let the Zappi ramp up to 32A when it comes on at 0030 - in which case the stop-start won't be needed. I'll let it run for a few nights and report back

That's worked fine for a few nights. Teslafi shows the wake-up but still doesn't show the stop/start (it just shows charging from 0300 until 0430 or until 85% SOC) but shows an overall charge rate of about 31.85A. Tonight I'll cut out the stop/start and see if just waking the car up with Teslafi is enough to allow Zappi to charge at 32A

I’m on 2019.36.2.1 ea322ad.

I'm not surprised that you can’t get the car scheduling to work if you’re trying to use the new feature where you set the departure time. All I use is the old scheduled charging, where I set the start time for 0030. Have you tried that way?
Thanks.

No - I have not tried the start schedule yet as I’m on a flat rate energy tariff so, environmental reasons aside, the main motivation for scheduled departure was to have a fully charged warmed car and battery for when I leave. Unless I reverse engineer the start time each day, which would be a hassle as my mileage varies massively each day, using scheduled start would either leave me with a cold battery (and having to preheat the cabin with stats/teslafi) or it would start too late and not be fully charged. I may as well just start charging as soon as I get home to avoid the risk of forgetting to adjust the start time or getting my sums wrong and waking to a half full battery.

As you would expect with these things, on the one day I worked from home and didn’t need the range, the schedule worked flawlessly.

One side note I found, if I use scheduled departure but use the start and stop trick to force 32a, then I do not get the automatic cabin preheat. It makes sense I guess as technically I stopped the scheduled departure and started a manual charge.

It wouldn’t be so bad for me if the schedule was aware of the lower 16a speed and thus started charging early but for those with low rate time slots it just wouldn’t work.

Tesla just need to fix the bug, allow adjustment of the 6am hardcode, and make it all manageable via the app so people with variable schedules don’t have to go out to the car. First world problems eh?

Reactions: Roy W.
or it would start too late and not be fully charged.

I set Scheduled Start and Departure last week. I hadn't done the sums, but there wasn't enough time to complete the charge, and the car started BEFORE the start time ... and finished (near as damn-it) by my Departure time. Grateful for that as I needed 100% start for that trip ...

I'm now bothered about how I deliberately cause the car to start at a specific time (without it starting sooner) when i don't actually need full-range, next day, and just want "charge only during off peak")

First world problems eh?

Shite Tesla QA IMHO. Countless times they have released new features similarly DOA ... until fixed some months later.

You could use TeslaFi (scheduler) as Elastoplast meantime. Referral will extend trial from 2 weeks to a month ... Tesla may have fixed it by then :)

I set Scheduled Start and Departure last week. I hadn't done the sums, but there wasn't enough time to complete the charge, and the car started BEFORE the start time ... and finished (near as damn-it) by my Departure time. Grateful for that as I needed 100% start for that trip ...

I'm now bothered about how I deliberately cause the car to start at a specific time (without it starting sooner) when i don't actually need full-range, next day, and just want "charge only during off peak")

Only one of the three options are active at any one time:
  • Off
  • Start at
  • Depart at
With the current settings you can't combine a start-at with a depart-at.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
This is interesting.

three outputs from the Tesla API, apart from choosing one of the three schedule choices to be active, all else equal.

See how the start time is auto-calculated (overriding the start-at) when a depart-at is active.

interesting.png

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Only one of the three options are active at any one time:

Ha! Thanks for that, that fills a gap in my understanding ("How do I do ONE not OTHER"). obvious now you've mentioned it, thanks. I'v been working through the screens left-to-right :(

That also explains why people have been saying the STOP AT is fixed at 6AM which I hadn't figured given what i thought was the ability of Scheduled Departure

So, apart from that Tesla bug, every opportunity to royally screw up setting to SCHEDULE or DEPARTURE one day and forgetting to check / be aware / change that for the following day (e.g. in order to try to keep charging within Off Peak window)

Shite Tesla QA IMHO. Countless times they have released new features similarly DOA ... until fixed some months later.

You could use TeslaFi (scheduler) as Elastoplast meantime. Referral will extend trial from 2 weeks to a month ... Tesla may have fixed it by then :)

I have found that 1hr at 16a is equivalent to about 5% charge. Each night I use Tesla Remote app to set my max charge level to either 85% or to add 20% which ever is the lower. Start time set at 12.30am. When I check my smart tariff logs it consistently adds 20% in those four hours. Would guess it would add about 35% on a 30a circuit.

Having to set the max charge level each night may seem like a hassle but in actual fact it takes me about 30 sec. Use Tesla Remote rather than default Tesla app as can get much finer control (to the nearest %) of charge level.

Reactions: rotor2k and Roy W.
Hi All,

I am having the same issue. I have an OpenEVSE charger and trying to use the timer function to charger on Octopus Go tariff between 00:30 and 04:30 at night.

This morning I raised a service request with Tesla under charging with 3 issues:

1. Car does not wake from sleep when offered charge
2. When using scheduled charge car always charges at 16A even though offered 32A
3. During charging car does not automatically accept the maximum charge rate (Amps) when the charger varies this over time.

I got a cancellation for service appointment and this text message an hour later:

"Thank you for your Service request. We are aware of the issues that you have brought to our attention and they are being investigated at this moment in time with an aim to fixing the issues in a future software update. As there is nothing a service appointment will be able to rectify at this time we shall cancel the appointment for now. We appreciate your patience."

I suggest if you haven't already you all raise service requests by copying and pasting the above text as each one will count in their system as user experiencing an issue and it may help this fix get prioritised.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cwmwd
Whilst we are all waiting for Tesla to do a prper fix I thought it worthwhile saying that my current workround of having Teslafi wake the car up at 00:25 and setting my Zappi 2 charger to charge from 00:30 til 04:30 seems (to date, but only a few days) to work fine. I get an average chareging rate recorded on Telafi of 32A

Answer from service center...

Remote diagnosis for your Tesla is now complete. Our Technicians have found that the issue you are experiencing is caused by the UI incorrectly interpreting the available current that can be supplied by the TWC. This is a known issue and a Firmware fix is currently under development. We have determined that an appointment is currently not necessary and the issue will be addressed in an upcoming Firmware update. In the mean time our best advise would be starting scheduled charging earlier, if possible, to eliminate the risk of not having sufficient charge in the morning. As there is no further action required, we will remove this Service visit from our diary. Thank you, Tesla Service

Reactions: Fingerwasp
Answer from service center...

Remote diagnosis for your Tesla is now complete. Our Technicians have found that the issue you are experiencing is caused by the UI incorrectly interpreting the available current that can be supplied by the TWC. This is a known issue and a Firmware fix is currently under development. We have determined that an appointment is currently not necessary and the issue will be addressed in an upcoming Firmware update. In the mean time our best advise would be starting scheduled charging earlier, if possible, to eliminate the risk of not having sufficient charge in the morning. As there is no further action required, we will remove this Service visit from our diary. Thank you, Tesla Service

I got this feedback too. Glad they have finally officially recognised a fix is required and that it is likely to be an OTA one! Workaround I was offered was temporarily starting a manual charge each time and then stopping and leaving it scheduled. Seems to work at 32A after that.

Last edited: