Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging versus off peak end

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused by the fact that the scheduled charging has a start time (I want to start when off-peak starts) but the “Departure” section has the off peak end. And it seems that it’s an either / or decision…that I can either schedule the start time…or end at the end of off peak but not both (when I turn one on the other one turns off). Seems I should be able to schedule the start and stop for off peak?

Reactions: Noflash
I just ran across this an am super confused as well. I don't care about a departure time. I simply want to plug my vehicle in all the time, but only have it charge during the hours of 12AM and 3PM (up to the charge limit).

Is there really no way to do this.
You asked that in another thread, and it was answered there too. That is a 15 hour charging window. It would be almost impossible for it to not be able to finish charging within that time, regardless of what you are using.

But the answer is simply no, Tesla doesn't give the option of capping it on both ends with start and stop time. They didn't want the complaints from people about their cars not charging up all the way because it stopped too soon, so this is what they went with. You can set a start time at 12:05 AM, and it will always be done by 3 PM anyway, so you are not one of the cases that has a problem. Some other people have pretty small windows like 4 hours, and that does have more of a problem if people need to start and stop the charging more aggressively.

Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0
You asked that in another thread, and it was answered there too. That is a 15 hour charging window. It would be almost impossible for it to not be able to finish charging within that time, regardless of what you are using.

But the answer is simply no, Tesla doesn't give the option of capping it on both ends with start and stop time. They didn't want the complaints from people about their cars not charging up all the way because it stopped too soon, so this is what they went with. You can set a start time at 12:05 AM, and it will always be done by 3 PM anyway, so you are not one of the cases that has a problem. Some other people have pretty small windows like 4 hours, and that does have more of a problem if people need to start and stop the charging more aggressively.
The problem this doesn’t address is when I forget to plug in before I go to bed and then either plug in in the morning or I DO charge in the night, go do something in the morning, come back before 3pm and want to continue charging then at off peak hours. It won’t resume automatically when I plug in and requires me to use the app to initiate charge. I can do this, but will also forget about this quirk (as my wife had and will) and I shouldn’t have to as it is super simple to just have an allowed charging window

Upvote 0
There is no way to achieve what you want currently with Tesla charging equipment/software.

If you have a Tesla wall connector, maybe they will add that function when they finally add the wall connector to the Tesla app.

If you use the mobile connector there’s no solution. Only way would be to get a third party “smart” programmable EVSE that can be set to only charge between certain times.

Upvote 0
People that have invested in a Tesla and a home solar energy system should have an easy option to be able to schedule charging with on and off features. Being that Tesla is in the solar business also I am quite surprised that they have not included a stop time in the charging. Retired Tesla owners that only drive a few days per week and that happen to have the ability to charge their cars with solar power would prefer to opt to charge 3 or 4 hours per day. So, I am in that situation and ended up having to buy a mechanical timer that I will have to place between the breaker box and the 240V outlet that I use to charge my car and schedule a start time of 11a.m. and use the mechanical timer to end the charge daily 3 to 4 hours later. Something so simple yet I have to rely on archaic methods of getting my goals accomplished.

Reactions: nvilletele
Upvote 0
Touche'. I may as well put Siri to work...I paid enough for her. I am learning that energy management is a big part of having a solar system and it does make you feel good when you are proactive when trying to get the electric bill as close to zero as possible. Hey Siri, bring me a beer. This energy management job is making me thirsty.

Upvote 0
I am confused by the fact that the scheduled charging has a start time (I want to start when off-peak starts) but the “Departure” section has the off peak end. And it seems that it’s an either / or decision…that I can either schedule the start time…or end at the end of off peak but not both (when I turn one on the other one turns off). Seems I should be able to schedule the start and stop for off peak?
As a new M3 owner, I was wondering the same thing. Seems so simple, right? My off peak is 12-6am and I just want to charge during that time. While I'm venting, how about the stupid automated charge port- why isn't it hot all the time or better yet, just mechanical like my Volt was- just push it to open and push it to close, like a gas cap. Simple. And Tesla- put a button on the glove box on the door! Jeeze, LOL

Upvote 0
So I'm confused also. This used to work just fine with the previous firmware version (I'm now on 2022.8.10.5). I used to set a charge start time for 2:00 AM, and by the morning the car would easily be charged enough for me to go to work and back (I have a wall charger and set the limit at 75%). I just plugged it in after I got home after work and it would do the rest. Now, no matter what I set (scheduled departure at 7:00 AM, charge off-peak, or start charging at 2:00 AM), it seems to want to start charging almost immediately when I plug it in after work (the most expensive time of day!). What am I missing?

Upvote 0
I just ran across this an am super confused as well. I don't care about a departure time. I simply want to plug my vehicle in all the time, but only have it charge during the hours of 12AM and 3PM (up to the charge limit).

Is there really no way to do this.
This seems to be possible with a Gen 3 wall connector now if you provision it in the Tesla app:

IMG_9742.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Noflash
Upvote 0
I know I'm a little late on this one, but this must be one of the most discussed and confusing topics in Teslaland. I just purchased a 2023 Model Y Long Range and I was confused and frustrated on charging schedules. The main reason I was confused is that I just turned in a 2021 Model 3 Long Range on a lease. My problem with the Model 3 was pretty much just the opposite of most people. My Model 3 seemingly would only charge at home between 11 PM and 7 AM, my off peak hours. This wasn't a problem 95% of the time since those are the hours I set it to charge. The problem came in when I needed something a little different, the car wouldn't cooperate. Funny.

Upvote 0