Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled departure epic fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those with working scheduled departure, are you using something like TeslaFi which may prevent the car from sleeping? I am, and my car never sleeps, but scheduled departure works fine for me. It's a little cautious and finishes 30-45 minutes early. FWIW, I park in an attached garage so the temperature is never really super cold, usually in the low-mid 50s this part of the season.

No it's not extremely cold here.... Used the old school scheduled charging last night and car fully charged no problem. I'm a 5 year owner. Never had the car not fully charge if I schedule it for 1230am start. I usually do 130am in summer and 1230am in winter. I've always set energy savings on and always connected checked. Will try again tonight with energy savings off.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
To those with working scheduled departure, are you using something like TeslaFi which may prevent the car from sleeping? I am, and my car never sleeps, but scheduled departure works fine for me. It's a little cautious and finishes 30-45 minutes early. FWIW, I park in an attached garage so the temperature is never really super cold, usually in the low-mid 50s this part of the season.
Scheduled departure works fine for me with no 3rd-party apps keeping it awake. It is garaged though so the pack never gets really cold.

Yes, I use TeslaFi, but the car sleeps fine (20.25 hours sleeping yesterday, with 3 hours not sleeping).

I am also garaged, however, which takes me back to my theory - the car is reading the battery temp when originally plugged in and setting the start time based on that info. When the battery gets cold, it does not recalc and can miss when it needs to start with a cold battery.

Easy way to test my theory is to set depart so it would need to start in within an hour of parking (before the battery has time to cold soak) and see if it works.

Mine works, justing finishes about an hour early. I stopped using it because I don't want it heating or cooling (preconditioning) the car. Mine is in the garage and every morning it was preconditioning and it was also preheating when parked at my office. Since smart preconditioning was removed (at least as a separate setting) and seems to be incorporated into scheduled departure, I won't use it.

If you don't want it preheating or precooling the car, just set planned departure time 30 minutes later than you really want to depart. It starts HVAC 20 minutes before departure (at least for me) so it won't actually start it, but the charge will complete by 06:00 (or your departure time if later in the day).

Since scheduled departure is basically 6am for everyone unless you happen to set it even earlier, it is useless even when it works. Not sure why offpeak electricity finishing at 6am is hard coded for the entire world. Most of us know what our electricity tarrifs are and can choose our charge completion time satisfactorily thank you. I've just been sticking to the original scheduled start time instead till they can make this feature actually useful (and fix the bugs it seems that some people are encountering.)

Tried again a couple times.....
Thursday worked perfect, car was at 90% and warmed up.
Set it for today, battery was at 55%, car in garage, woke up 45 min before I needed to leave, car hadn't even started charging. Was connected properly because I manually started a charge from the app. Weekdays only was not checked.
I'm done with this "feature".

Mine is still kind of flaky. I had not driven the car since Thursday and then I took it out for an errand today. I plugged it in and it wanted to charge right away even though I have scheduled departure enabled. I told to to stop charging and walked away. As soon as I left the garage, it charged to 90% completely ignoring the scheduled charge. I'll say I'd rather have this be the failure mode and not waking up with an uncharged battery when I really needed the range. That said, it seems to have difficulty telling that Sunday is effectively a weeknight and the charging should be scheduled to finish on Monday morning.

'16 Model X 75D here - FWIW tried "Scheduled Departure" and noticed a few things before disabling it:

1. Some nights car won't charge despite schedule
2. Sometimes car would charge past the set limit (I have 90% set and it blows past that)
3. Get frequent "Charging interrupted"/ "Charging started" overnight

With Scheduled Departure off #1 & 2 above are no longer observed. Still get "Charging interrupted" occasionally but nowhere near the same rate as when I had it enabled.

Since scheduled departure is basically 6am for everyone unless you happen to set it even earlier, it is useless even when it works. Not sure why offpeak electricity finishing at 6am is hard coded for the entire world. Most of us know what our electricity tarrifs are and can choose our charge completion time satisfactorily thank you. I've just been sticking to the original scheduled start time instead till they can make this feature actually useful (and fix the bugs it seems that some people are encountering.)
I tried it for a while but don't went back to the "dumb" scheduled charging because:
1) I didn't want it to precondition the cabin.
2) It kept charging my car over the limit I had set even after a day of no driving