Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Departure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So anyone else actually tried using this feature yet?

Night 1 - seemed to charge as normal, but no pre-conditioning, and finished charging well before 8am finish time.
Night 2 - looks like it tried to charge at 6Amps, and didn't get very far. I've got a Zappi which may be complicating factors here.

Not sure I get what it's supposed to do yet!

Apols if I’m being a bit dumb but isn’t preconditioning when plugged in saving electricity which would be taken from the battery at the beginning of the drive which if you don’t do, it just uses more power and you end up charging it more at the next connection?

Yes but i suspect not fully.

Even if not unnecessarily preconditioning, i.e. you actually do intend to set off at the scheduled time, by using it you are also making the choice to put heat into a quite poorly insulated space (cabin), which is then losing some of that extra heat energy all the time. Similar applies to battery. So you're creating some extra energy loss.

On the other hand once driving you have full regen available so you're inclined to lose a little less then.

On balance, this probably means pre-conditioning uses in total more energy than not preconditioning for the same journey (I accept this is my conjecture, I haven't data to back it up).

The advantage therefore is perhaps not in reduced energy use overall, it's in transferring some of that use from the time you're using precious battery stored energy to the time you're using (arguably) less precious shore power. Battery stored energy is more precious because using it reduces remaining range and therefore affects your time and convenience later (maybe - over-range days only), and it's also taken some charging losses to get it into the battery.

The other advantage is to create consistent driving feel because regen availability is the same throughout your journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
I can cope with limited regen for a while.
I feel uncomfortable wasting energy. Seems like the “wasteful mindset” that got us in the crap is still there.

That's exactly my thoughts, too. I got so annoyed at the way that the i3 behaves (seems very similar to the Tesla implementation, from what I can gather) that I opted to build a new charge point so that I could control off-peak charging with no messing about with the car.

With the i3 this works very well indeed, if we're heading out somewhere all I have to do is press a button on the remote maybe 10 minutes before we leave, and the cabin and battery will precondition ready for the trip, using shore power, if the car's connected (it usually is).

I can see me adopting a similar regime for the Tesla, with the exception that I won't have a way to turn preconditioning on easily on demand, as with no mobile signal here, plus I don't think the optional fob has that functionality, I'd have to fire up a PC and use a third party programme to do it, I think (assuming that this can be done via a wifi connection). That's a bit of a nuisance, as I think the preconditioning button on the remote is one I've used a lot on both my last two cars, just because it's so quick and simple to use.

- Start as late as possible, knowing the max charge rate available, so that it's done by the scheduled time.

That would be Iffy in cold weather as charge rate, once it then actually starts, will be "slow" and unlikely to finish in time. I suppose the car could keep watching the temperature and re-estimate the start time.

I think charge to X% less than Set Limit at Scheduled Start and then Top up remaining X% appropriate time before departure ... perhaps if that is happening faster than expected then throttle-back the AMPs ...

... but even then if the Limit is set to 100% then the time to balance the cells is highly unpredictable, and not sure if the car could estimate that accurately.

It also seems bonkers that you cannot adjust any aspect of this new feature from the app...

This is sadly normal-for-Tesla. Chuck-it-out-there and then revise. I could perhaps cut them some slack if a competitor was nipping at their heels on something, but this requirement has been around for many years, and only now they provide it, and then what they provide is complete junk ... why bother? spend the time to get it right.

or it accidentally got into the release code, which would be WAY more worrying ...

Maybe someone says to Elon "Scheduled stop time has been rolled out" and a) deadline is achieve ad b) Elon is unaware that it was junk.

On past experience this sort of "chuck it out there" will be fixed within a couple of months.

Reactions: fiatlux
I can cope with limited regen for a while.
I feel uncomfortable wasting energy. Seems like the “wasteful mindset” that got us in the crap is still there.

I'm not sure it's a cut and dried case. You gain in some ways and lose in others. On balance I expect it wastes some energy, but not much. It saves a little in brake use/pollution too.

So, for me, it's mainly a range thing. I expect its main benefit will come if weather etc and distance are going to take you over range.

For pure comfort purposes, I haven't yet turned HVAC on before departure except to experiment with the functionality. I leave climate temperature as is and range mode on which is maybe slow to warm up but it's fine for my needs, very occasional use of a heated seat. I'm not very temperature sensitive and prefer to avoid blasts of hot or cold air, so I like range mode.

That would be Iffy in cold weather as charge rate, once it then actually starts, will be "slow" and unlikely to finish in time. I suppose the car could keep watching the temperature and re-estimate the start time.

Our temperature has been as low as -3 overnight and the car charging still kicks in with a stone cold car at 7.2kW. Cold doesn't appear to have much impact at these speeds (as against Supercharger speeds).

I unticked the preconditioning box on the screen so that it starts charging at 00:30 and is to be completed by 04:30, every day. You don’t have to have the preconditioning switched on.

That sounds ideal, just what's needed to only have the car use power during the off-peak period each night, without wasting energy preconditioning when it may not be driven for some time after the last charging event.

I unticked the preconditioning box on the screen so that it starts charging at 00:30 and is to be completed by 04:30, every day. You don’t have to have the preconditioning switched on.

So if you have the car set to charge to 90% and you have charging set to start at 00:30 and finish a 4:30 without pre-condition but there isn't time to reach 90% by 4:30 will the charge stop at say 86% at 4:30 (that's what I want) or will it simply carry on after 4:30?

So if you have the car set to charge to 90% and you have charging set to start at 00:30 and finish a 4:30 without pre-condition but there isn't time to reach 90% by 4:30 will the charge stop at say 86% at 4:30 (that's what I want) or will it simply carry on after 4:30?
I think the start time is ignored, that's a different mode.

I think the modes are mutually exclusive, based on one being "off"

Off
Start Charging at
Depart at

If you want:
  1. Start charging at xx:xx
  2. Stop charging at yy:yy
  3. Start preconditioning the cabin at zz:zz if at home on a weekday, otherwise don't

Then something like teslaFi will do that with ease. "Scheduled Departure" isn't that, yet.

The USP of Tesla's implementation is the battery warming/full-regen

Last edited:
Reactions: fiatlux
Our temperature has been as low as -3 overnight and the car charging still kicks in with a stone cold car at 7.2kW.

If battery is "too cold" then power will be used to heat the battery, and either charging will be slow, or not-at-all (until battery warm enough).

It will still draw max power (well ... not if you are at a Supercharger) - in order to heat battery

I don't know how cold the battery has to be before some power is used to heat the battery.

TeslaFi etc. may be able to show that. I cannot find a single charging occasion where the temperature was Properly Cold ... but I managed to find a few around 0C where the Charger Power was up to max within a minute or two, but the Charge Rate took 10 minutes to get to max.

I’m still not sure how departure time charging works.
9pm tonight, at 45%, limit set to 80%.
Set scheduled depart for 8am, but it started charging straight away, even though it only needs 5 hours of 7kw charging to get to 80%.
Thought it might be a 5 mins test to asssess AMps available, but it showed no sign of stopping.
I’m on Ecotricity E7, so I’ve reverted to start time of 00:00, and will do a ‘manual’ pre-heat from the app.
Is that what happens for everyone else?