TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

School of the Hidden Vins - Guide to Tracking your Tesla after ordering

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Vedaprime, Dec 17, 2019.

1. DJP31

DJP31 Active Member

Thanks for coming back so quickly. So with any luck my custom build S should have a "normal" VIN attached in due course...

2. Hovean

Hovean Member

A blue SR+.

3. Vedaprime

Vedaprime Member

Debussy has 80 Teslas onboard for Australia, 20 for New Zealand

4. Onshore

Onshore Member

Am I right that this would be considered a fairly small shipment?

5. Vedaprime

Vedaprime Member

Yes. Q1 had over 1000 in the quarter. So this is less than half the average per ship.

I have seen 700 on a ship, so we will need to see what the future shipments bring.

• Informative x 1
  6. Onshore

Onshore Member

Looks like there may be a handful of unallocated cars on the ship.

Tesla inventory page has these marked as “in transit”

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

7. Vedaprime

Vedaprime Member

it could be from any one of 3 ships in transit. It just means they built a few more of that colour/spec than people have ordered. Those will be snapped up really quickly. The cars are built first, then matched to orders. Its a good way for Tesla to have some people help pull the trigger on the purchase too.

8. GigiD

GigiD New Member

What are the likely production dates of the Model 3 vehicles on the Debussy scheduled 22 August in Sydney?
    I am interested to see whether they are July to increase the chances of having the updated specs (USB-c ports and wireless charging).
    Also, (might be a dumb question) why 3 ships and not 1 if they are not full?

9. moa999

moa999 Member

All should be Q3 construction for Q3 delivery (ie. Post 1 July) so should have USB-C and W/C.

They aren't dedicated ships - just a container ship so Tesla gets them on as quickly as they can

10. Vedaprime

Vedaprime Member

#70 Vedaprime, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    They all do in the quarter. All cars were built in July. I have seen the evidence of this on the builds. You can also confirm in the if you have a hidden vin and in the same source code - a code - FC01 (wireless charger)

• Informative x 2
  11. Vedaprime

Vedaprime Member

Ship 1 of Q3 - Debussy has hit bad weather and is delayed. Due now Wednesday 2am. 142 Tesla onboard.

• Helpful x 3
  12. Punchbuggy

Punchbuggy Member

Sadly the VIN extension doesn't show the hidden VIN anymore - at least, not for me. I know that a VIN has been assigned to me, as Tesla Aust have given me the paperwork so I can organise registration and the plates, but it's not embedded in the Manage page. My Build date is 21 July, so I'm assuming it's on Cap Capricorn anyway.

And on a separate subject to the wider group, I'm not happy that I'm buying a car this expensive and I have to organise my own plates. I'm in Canberra, and apparently as Tesla have no-one here it's up to me. Sigh.

13. Vedaprime

Vedaprime Member

Some people never receive a hidden vin until really late on the my manage page - some get it not long after production. Your vin is on the invoice as well. With a build date of July 21, it could have made Cap Capricorn. If it got to the port after July 24, it would go on Kota Ekspres.

For ACT, I recommend the Facebook ACT Tesla Owners group (not sure of exact name). The process changed not so long ago to get the plates. Most buyer collect from Sydney and road trip back. It is much faster and fun.

14. Punchbuggy

Punchbuggy Member

#74 Punchbuggy, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2020
    [
    Good advice, thanks - I’ll look them up. Otherwise, I’m seeking delivery to Canberra as I’d rather not travel to Sydney during these COVID times, and I’m not able to drive currently due to a broken leg anyway. The Tesla Should arrive the week my physio starts - what timing, eh?

15. cafz

cafz Member

The other thing you need to organise yourself in the ACT is the EV triangle for the plates, which the RTA don't supply but are a legal requirement. Burson Auto Parts have them.

16. Punchbuggy

Punchbuggy Member

OK. Thanks for the Heads Up.

17. cafz

cafz Member

No worries. I too think it's a bit ordinary that Tesla don't register as an ACT dealer so they can supply the rego - they sell enough cars in the ACT, and it's not like they need to be physically located there (plenty of NSW dealers in the surrounding area can supply ACT plates on a new vehicle).

18. Punchbuggy

Punchbuggy Member

Actually, Tesla are a registered dealer in the ACT - they just don’t have a physical presence. They advertise a service centre in nearby Queanbeyan (which I couldn’t find recently), so I don’t know why they can’t have someone there source ACT plates for ACT buyers.
    Anyway, I’ve now taken this thread off topic, so I’ll leave my rant here. Cheers.

19. cafz

cafz Member

Their service centre is on the ACT side of the border, in Beard. It's on the corner of Spongolite St and Tantalum St, enter off Spongolite St.

20. Vedaprime

Vedaprime Member

Ship 1 - Debussy arrived in Sydney at 4.15am Wednesday

• Like x 1