Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

School of the Hidden Vins - Guide to Tracking your Tesla after ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen that before. Its for new inventory vehicles. Old inventory vehicles still have vin in the source code.

I don’t know how to decipher that.

vins have started showing in people’s my manage page if they have been assigned. This will continue for about a month.

Thanks for coming back so quickly. So with any luck my custom build S should have a "normal" VIN attached in due course...

Looks like there may be a handful of unallocated cars on the ship.

Tesla inventory page has these marked as “in transit”

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

it could be from any one of 3 ships in transit. It just means they built a few more of that colour/spec than people have ordered. Those will be snapped up really quickly. The cars are built first, then matched to orders. Its a good way for Tesla to have some people help pull the trigger on the purchase too.

What are the likely production dates of the Model 3 vehicles on the Debussy scheduled 22 August in Sydney?
I am interested to see whether they are July to increase the chances of having the updated specs (USB-c ports and wireless charging).
Also, (might be a dumb question) why 3 ships and not 1 if they are not full?

What are the likely production dates of the Model 3 vehicles on the Debussy scheduled 22 August in Sydney?
I am interested to see whether they are July to increase the chances of having the updated specs (USB-c ports and wireless charging).
Also, (might be a dumb question) why 3 ships and not 1 if they are not full?

They all do in the quarter. All cars were built in July. I have seen the evidence of this on the builds. You can also confirm in the if you have a hidden vin and in the same source code - a code - FC01 (wireless charger)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Onshore and moa999
They all do in the quarter. All cars were built in July. I have seen the evidence of this on the builds. You can also confirm in the if you have a hidden vin and in the same source code - a code - FC01 (wireless charger)

Sadly the VIN extension doesn't show the hidden VIN anymore - at least, not for me. I know that a VIN has been assigned to me, as Tesla Aust have given me the paperwork so I can organise registration and the plates, but it's not embedded in the Manage page. My Build date is 21 July, so I'm assuming it's on Cap Capricorn anyway.

And on a separate subject to the wider group, I'm not happy that I'm buying a car this expensive and I have to organise my own plates. I'm in Canberra, and apparently as Tesla have no-one here it's up to me. Sigh.

Some people never receive a hidden vin until really late on the my manage page - some get it not long after production. Your vin is on the invoice as well. With a build date of July 21, it could have made Cap Capricorn. If it got to the port after July 24, it would go on Kota Ekspres.

For ACT, I recommend the Facebook ACT Tesla Owners group (not sure of exact name). The process changed not so long ago to get the plates. Most buyer collect from Sydney and road trip back. It is much faster and fun.

[
"For ACT, I recommend the Facebook ACT Tesla Owners group (not sure of exact name). The process changed not so long ago to get the plates. Most buyer collect from Sydney and road trip back. It is much faster and fun.

Good advice, thanks - I’ll look them up. Otherwise, I’m seeking delivery to Canberra as I’d rather not travel to Sydney during these COVID times, and I’m not able to drive currently due to a broken leg anyway. The Tesla Should arrive the week my physio starts - what timing, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice, thanks - I’ll look them up. Otherwise, I’m seeking delivery to Canberra as I’d rather not travel to Sydney during these COVID times, and I’m not able to drive currently due to a broken leg anyway. The Tesla Should arrive the week my physio starts - what timing, eh?

The other thing you need to organise yourself in the ACT is the EV triangle for the plates, which the RTA don't supply but are a legal requirement. Burson Auto Parts have them.

No worries. I too think it's a bit ordinary that Tesla don't register as an ACT dealer so they can supply the rego - they sell enough cars in the ACT, and it's not like they need to be physically located there (plenty of NSW dealers in the surrounding area can supply ACT plates on a new vehicle).
Actually, Tesla are a registered dealer in the ACT - they just don’t have a physical presence. They advertise a service centre in nearby Queanbeyan (which I couldn’t find recently), so I don’t know why they can’t have someone there source ACT plates for ACT buyers.
Anyway, I’ve now taken this thread off topic, so I’ll leave my rant here. Cheers.

Actually, Tesla are a registered dealer in the ACT - they just don’t have a physical presence. They advertise a service centre in nearby Queanbeyan (which I couldn’t find recently), so I don’t know why they can’t have someone there source ACT plates for ACT buyers.
Anyway, I’ve now taken this thread off topic, so I’ll leave my rant here. Cheers.

Their service centre is on the ACT side of the border, in Beard. It's on the corner of Spongolite St and Tantalum St, enter off Spongolite St.