Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screw you, Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a combat veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan. I’ve tried to embrace stoicism, because I’ve seen that there is so much that is beyond an individual’s control. I know that one of the dumbest things anyone can do is fall in love with a piece of metal. And yet, here I am. In love with a car. Buying my M3 was a great experience. Driving it 3600 miles on a road trip was a great experience. Reaching 8,500 miles with just $200 in total maintenance has been a practical experience. Powering my car with solar energy has been empowering. Knowing that I can achieve mobility without the guilt of pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere has been liberating. Listening to my children squeal in delight as we leave gas guzzlers in our dust at stoplights has been a joyful noise. And thinking “damn, that’s a nice looking car” every time I approach my M3 in a parking lot has been gratifying. I’ve worked my whole life trying to avoid getting attached to something as dumb as a car. But the M3 has won my heart, and made me love a stupid piece of metal. So for that I say screw you, Tesla M3.

What’s not to like, she’s a bad A$$.

5A67495D-922D-48B1-A133-A99DE7EE28E0.jpeg

I’m a combat veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan. I’ve tried to embrace stoicism, because I’ve seen that there is so much that is beyond an individual’s control. I know that one of the dumbest things anyone can do is fall in love with a piece of metal. And yet, here I am. In love with a car. Buying my M3 was a great experience. Driving it 3600 miles on a road trip was a great experience. Reaching 8,500 miles with just $200 in total maintenance has been a practical experience. Powering my car with solar energy has been empowering. Knowing that I can achieve mobility without the guilt of pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere has been liberating. Listening to my children squeal in delight as we leave gas guzzlers in our dust at stoplights has been a joyful noise. And thinking “damn, that’s a nice looking car” every time I approach my M3 in a parking lot has been gratifying. I’ve worked my whole life trying to avoid getting attached to something as dumb as a car. But the M3 has won my heart, and made me love a stupid piece of metal. So for that I say screw you, Tesla M3.
From one veteran to another, I salute you. I had only one combat tour: Vietnam, September 67 to August 68. 22 years all told.

This thread brought back old memories of watching technicians maintain troop carriers. The area stunk like high heaven of burnt fossils but I could swear that the technicians enjoyed their work. Fast forward quite a few years later, and I remember thinking that my ICE car DIY maintenance was not a big deal and of all the reasons to buy an EV, less maintenance was one of the least convincing.

Yesterday was the first time under a car since we switched to EVs ~ 4 years ago. After I finished the job I realized just how much I appreciated the minimal maintenance and absence of filthy oils. So I guess I should hate EVs too: they have turned me into a wimp.

Musing of the days when we had cheap gas $.19/gallon, driving a ‘72 VW Beetle, never dreaming a Tesla was ever in my future... All that the future was supposed to bring, failed on many accounts but did deliver EV’s finally... Who could’ve known...?
funny....my 1966 GTO eat the the rate of $0.399 per gal......My A6E ate much more, faster and more often.....

then we could penetrate deeper, linger longer and drop a bigger load.....:)

what cons are there tho actually

not much yet... maybe electronic costs can add up in the future out of warranty if anything goes wrong is what I was thinking.
It’s an awesome car. Love it. Looks nice.
personally tho ever since I got it I do wish they would have made the roof like more sleek/lower making it look more like one of those so called coupes
Oh and the ride a bit more comfortable, small gripes with an overall wonderful car

• Disagree
Reactions: lw03tor and Mosby
I concur. Plus I’m not sure that there isn’t a certain “home wrecker” element to Tesla’s. Recalling the day we picked up my wife’s new 3, when she sat in it for the first time and ran her hands over the new seats etc, she made a certain kind of primeval sound...that I have never been able to make her make in 34 years of marriage. I felt...confused...

Just sayin.

:)