Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SD Card or Portable SSD drive for Sentry mode - Which one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you use dashcam/sentry say 6 hours a day, which is not unreasonable, both should last in excess of 4 years (based on a 64GB Sandisk version) or even longer for larger sizes. If you want to run sentry 24/7, its a different matter, but that is a battery killer so most people are more selective where its used. Larger sized devices don't make huge amount of different storage wise as only last hours dashcam is kept before being overwritten (sentry clips are saved longer but are aged out), but it does make a difference in how long it takes before memory is overwritten, and it is number of overwrites that limits memory life. So twice the size, twice the life.

There are other failures that are likely to occur which will affect most types of device.

Last edited:
If you are as lazy as I am at clearing down old sentry clips then avoid the 128 GB SD card, it will fill up before you know it.

Get the SSD. I got a cheaper SATA SSD drive and a SATA/usb adapter. Works great.
Sentry auto deletes so I'm not sure why your card is filling. I used to use a 32gb card for the longest time and it would never get full until I clicked save on a bunch of clips.

Sentry auto deletes so I'm not sure why your card is filling. I used to use a 32gb card for the longest time and it would never get full until I clicked save on a bunch of clips.
Ah. good, I didnt know it auto-cleared so was doing some mental arithmetic based on the last time I cleared it down against 500 GB.

Usefule to know, how often does sentry clear down?

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
In case helpful the one I am using is SanDisk 128GB High Endurance https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NY23WBG/

and a USB 3 card reader https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L9VT8YY/

That is in a MS though, so i don't know if there is any issue with fitting that into M3 USB socket

The FAT Formatting tool I used (Windows PC) was FAT32FORMAT.EEXE (which is by Ridgecrop). Pretty sure the URL in their INFO is no longer valid, but if so it should be on some SourceForge type shareware site

www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat32format.htm

Basically, you need a card that will withstand enough write cycles to last you however long you want it to last. The maths is relatively straight forward, but I have simplified below. Its not magic, finger in the air stuff. How long a device is warranted for can be calculated.

TeslaCam will write 1GB of data approx every 4 minutes.

So cards will fill approx at this rate of use.
32GB 128mins 2 hours
64GB 256mins 4-1/4 hours
128GB 512 mins 8-1/2 hours
256GB 1024 mins 17 hours

Other factors are at play also - most flash memory slow the fuller they get, and will possibly slow to the point that the car will complain - the dreaded Too slow error. Thankfully Tesla reacted to this to improve matters by deleting stale Sentry footage (dashcam was always removed after approx 1 hour), but it is still possible if you hoard footage.

Manufacturers will often quote cycles or hours use. If hours are quoted, its often based upon HD video at 26Mbs. TeslaCam writes slightly faster than that, but using 80% of quoted hours is a good approximation.

If a manufacturer quotes cycles, the following numbers are a good approximation
300 - 32GB:25 days; 64GB:50 days; 128GB:100 days; 256GB:200 days - typical common USB stick
1000 - 32GB:83 days; 64GB:166 days; 128GB:333 days; 256GB:666 days - typical endurance card

If a manufacturer quotes hours, the following numbers work as an approximation - 8760 hours in a typical year
5000 - 4050 hours - 5-1/2 months
10000 - 8100 hours - 11 months
20000 - 16200 hours - 22 months

HOWEVER - reality may be much better
----------------
These figures are based on use of TeslaCam 24/7. Most people will not run their dash/sentry 24/7 - it has a significant power draw which adds up to significant energy loss from battery and/or electricity cost. So a typical use may only have Teslacam active for relatively short periods of time.

We have 2 no 128GB Endurance SD cards and rotate them for offline viewing, easy to do with SD cards. We also use TeslaCam significantly less than 24 hours a day on average - again, easy to do as TeslaCam can be location aware when linked to favourites/home. So I am expecting our SD endurance cards to each last 4 or 5 years - 8 to 10 years the pair. Not bad for £30 each.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Klau2 and Teflan
I was thinking of getting one of these for £22. Anybody tried? A lot cheaper then an SD so I could’ve keep a spare for when it wears out!

Samsung FIT Plus 128 GB Type-A USB 3.1 Flash Drive
I had something similar to this but it got very hot and failed after quite a short time. Currently using this 64GB SanDisk Extreme Micro SDXC with Adapter
With no problems. Sentry mode just saved me from an excess after someone hit and run leaving me needing a new drivers door.

My usb sticks have worked fine however they will break after a while as they aren't really designed for Dashcam use

I'd go with the SD card setup and possibly buy two of them, can recommend the endurance ones. The only problem I have found with the SD cards is the actual readers, I've had three, 1st failed after 3 months (only in car), 2nd corrupted the drive everyday currently on third which is the one Vanilla recommended and its been working fine, its a Ugreen one on Amazon.

Last edited: