Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDGE is Overpriced for EV Rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you plan to go solar in SDG&E territory in the near future, definitely try to get permission to operate by 3/30/18 to get temporary grandfathering into tiered rates: Time-of-Use Period Grandfathering for Net Energy Metering Customers | San Diego Gas & Electric (scroll down to the NEM-ST section). After this date, SDG&E would force you into a time-of-use plan with peak hours from 4-9PM, including on weekends.

SDG&E prices and the very sunny skies in Southern California really make a compelling point for going Solar. Get Solar and a couple batteries, and, well, you'll still end up paying the minimum $10/month connection fee (going up soon to $20/month, thank you very much SDG&E) but you won't care much about the rates anymore.
Can you point me to any doc with details on the minimum daily charge increase?

SDG&E prices and the very sunny skies in Southern California really make a compelling point for going Solar. Get Solar and a couple batteries, and, well, you'll still end up paying the minimum $10/month connection fee (going up soon to $20/month, thank you very much SDG&E) but you won't care much about the rates anymore.
I've personally been solar for years. This was a more general statement on behalf of all SDG&E customers. That is one way of looking at it though, sure makes the decision of going solar an easy one.

Now, they did also change the Net Metering structure recently so that peak times are like 4-8PM or something, so I may need to look at adding batteries soon! Would be nice if Tesla had V2G option.

Yes they "grandfathered" us in, but changed the rates to make less money for us and more for them. For example, the "peak" rates are less for the grandfathered plan (where I make my money between 11-5 pm) and higher for the new plan, where peak is between 4-9 pm. During the winter rates, my "off-peak" is now .24409 while semi-peak is .249. Basically 1/2 cent more -- so my cheapest rates are 24 1/2 cents! If you are NOT on the 'grandfathered' plan, then you get peak rates (between 4-9 pm) of .24799 (note less than my semi-peak rates), semi-peak of 0.23894 (not between midnight and 5 am and 4 pm and 9 pm), and off-peak of .22889 for midnight to 5 am. I'm not sure how being grandfathered in is helping.

I cannot find any references now to the minimum line fee rate. There was a letter that came out a while back that discussed how they were changing tiered rates from 4 tiers to 3, then two 2 tiers, and then back to 3. They've already gone through this cycle. It may have been proposed but not approved. As I remember it, this was all back when they first started with the minimum use fee of $10/month. The article said they wanted to raise it to $15 in a couple years, then to $20 some time after that. Again, maybe that was never approved.

My 'grandfathered' in expires September of this year -- 5 years after my authorization to power on my first solar system. By this time I hope to have a couple power walls. My only use from the grid will be in the middle of the night to charge my cars. If my batteries get full by 12 to 3 pm or so, then I guess I'll be pushing power to SGE&E at a slightly higher rate for a few minutes until my generation < my use, when my batteries will start being used to power the house.

I agree with the V2G (or more specifically V2H). If I could use my cars that would put 160 kWh at my disposal rather than 24 kWh of a couple power walls. Actually, I'd like both, since I want to be able to drive my cars during the day when the sun is shining and charging the batteries.

Reactions: FlatSix911
SDG&E has super off peak EV-TOU rates @ $0.22 (EV Rates | San Diego Gas & Electric). This is insane for super off peak! I'm on the edge of SDG&E and on the other side of our main street SCE customers are at $0.08 off peak (https://www.sce.com/NR/sc3/tm2/pdf/ce114-12.pdf).

Has there ever been a discussion of the rate discrepancy between the providers?

I am also with SDG&E but I pay $0.094/kwh Super Off-Peak (Winter Schedule) and $0.093/kwh Super Off-Peak (Summer). It is under Schedule EV-TOU-5.

Check it here: https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/7-1-18 Schedule EV-TOU-5_Total_Rates_Table.pdf

They have other EV rates and I suspect one of those is what you have and this one is buried somewhere. Check it out.

TOU-5 is fairly new, I think it came out last fall/winter. This is an old thread, will see how much SDGE screws us in the summer with crazy high peak rates. I just switched after buying a new house and we are putting solar in withing a few months, however I am worried that SDGE will credit you at some ridiculous low rate and then charge you super high peak rates.