Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat configuration thoughts from a CANINE perspective

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
Oh boy, yet another doggie thread.

As I wrote yesterday, we were able to get a 90-minute up-close-and-personal with a Model X yesterday. Another poster PM'd me about our specific thoughts regarding pooch-friendliness so I thought I'd share them with all.

What seat configurations might work best if dogs are a consistent presence? For those of you who don't know, our kiddies are two Alaskan malamutes. One large and one enormous.

Our thoughts:

2-3-0. This has the advantage of nicely greater rear cargo room or, if when "3" is pulled forward, that's a fine great dog pen in the back and the dogs can enter/exit between those seats' backs and the edge of the doorway. It has the disadvantage of limiting your human cargo to 5 AND some person always is going to be the monkey in the middle. Also, that to-the-rear squeeze seemed awkward most particularly for the pawdicapped.

2-2-2. This differs from the above by permitting dogs to enter from in front of the middle 2, then using the center passageway to get to rear. The great thing about all Teslas, from a canine perspective, is all that wonderful flat floor space. This configuration maximizes that. The downside is that when the rear two fold down, they necessarily diminish the amount of usable cargo....or dog yard...space. Really roomy for four human passengers and acceptable for 6.

2-3-2. I'd opt for this only if 7 humans fairly consistently would be in the car. Not for us.

What we'd really like would be a 2-2-0 or even a 2-0-2 configuration. The latter will never be available, in my opinion and for a given definition of "never"; the former ought be permitted now but it does not appear to be in the near-term cards.

Window open-ness and the wonderfully better vent locations get lots of dog-friendly points. The falcon-wing doors are an absolute blessing for dogs. Far, far better than a standard door configuration. Our host yesterday worried about his dog freaking out over the door descending hatch-style but not only did his dog accept it effectively immediately, it right away learned that "Ding!" means the door is about to close, meaning it's time to move to the center of the vehicle. I can't say how every dog would respond but am quite sure ours would so act. This is exactly how they respond when the Model S back hatch dings as it begins to close.

Reactions: travwill
Oh boy, yet another doggie thread.

As I wrote yesterday, we were able to get a 90-minute up-close-and-personal with a Model X yesterday. Another poster PM'd me about our specific thoughts regarding pooch-friendliness so I thought I'd share them with all.

What seat configuration did you end up getting? I'm ordering my X this week and trying to figure out the seating situation as I have three dogs that have to figure into the equation. I have a Golden Retriever, a Labrador and a Collie mix. I'm leaning toward the 5 seat configuration because I don't need the extra seating for human passengers and like the fact that the five seat config provides a barrier to the canines so they don't try to come and join me in the front seat-- which I know each of them will try to do. But your point about the 6-seat configuration allowing for easier entry for the dogs makes great sense.

Anything else you can add?