Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat (dis)comfort after 5,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really loved the seats of the model 3 when I got it (June built), and if I seat on the passenger seat, I still love the feel.
But I find the padding on the driver seat broke in a little too much after 5,000 miles (I am ~240lbs), and I find it quite hard on the butt these days, similar to a low quality mattress after some months.
Others with the same observation?

The M3 I rented on Turo had the first generation seats and I think I prefer those to the second generation seats.

The bolsters are a little tight on the new seats. I’m 5’10” 190 lbs.

My #1 issue though with these seats is that the headrest feels too far forward and is not adjustable. It makes it feel like I’m getting no support for my neck and upper back.

I am 6'6" and my driver's seat was feeling very deflated on the back portion of the bottom side of the seat. I found that by adjusting the front part of the bottom seat to the highest setting it feels more supportive.

yeah the back portion of the bottom side is precisely where I get the most discomfort; I had adjusted the seat as you describe a month ago or so, but that's not working for me anymore, was planning on trying other setting and see if that helps; but I am a bit pessimistic as I think the foam just doesn't last long and seat settings won't matter much

Sorry to hear that. Mine are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. 8,500 km in so about the same mileage and I weigh ~220 lbs so only a little lighter. I hope my seats hold up well. We do have extendable thigh support in our 2018 Highlander Ltd and it's nice, but I don't miss it in the Model 3 - maybe because the seats are closer to the floor and my legs shoot more forwards rather than downwards. Not sure. Other than that and the seat cooling, the Highlander seats are just dreadful compared to the Model 3, which is a shame because its still our family roadtripping vehicle - in the summer all our road trips involve towing a 21' travel trailer and in the winter a roof box full of downhill and x/c skis into country not served with SuperChargers. We need more SuperChargers and Model Y with 5,000 lbs towing capacity to ditch our ICE SUV.

I can attest that the front seats have changed as well - I rented a VIN 44xx from Turo shortly before getting my VIN 29xxx. The earlier seats bowed terribly at the shoulders and it felt as though my shoulders were being pushed forwards. On the newer seats its much flatter/wider here and not at all an issue for me. Keep in mind though that I'm tall enough that the top of my spine is resting against the head rest so I'm an unusual fit when it comes to seats. Very few are made to accommodate my long back.

Reactions: Hans L
I had issues with uncomfortable seats in my last cars, I really hope II don' have to sell this one after 5k miles or suffer with back pain. I do a long commute and I think I have chronic lower back pain ( it comes and goes). The seats in my last car set it off constantly.

Is the seat foam replaceable in the 3? I'm about to fix my dads truck and the foam and lower cushion is very DIY replaceable. It has been aaproblem for a while but at least it lasted over 100k miles. I'm guessing it will be very expensive to have the foam changed every 5k miles on the 3 or once every couple months?

I thought the seats felt better on the S. If this is a real issue and there is no fix im going to regret the purchase.

The thing that stopped me from buying a bolt when we thought the tax credit was going away was the seats.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic