Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat manufacturing moving entirely in-house?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if there's a thread on this yet (didn't see one), but my Uber driver this morning was a Tesla employee and he told me he believes the 901 Pace facility (where the reveal party was) is going to be dedicated to seat manufacturing in-house for S, X and beyond. Has that been confirmed or announced anywhere? If so, I'd definitely expect faster improvements or more options in seat designs coming soon (but not immediately since it takes time to ramp up a production facility). This is consistent with Musk's philosophy (if a supplier screws you, bring it in house).

-CB

Futuris Automotive makes the seats in Newark, CA

Originally, all seat manufacturing was in house. Although it was a third party that Tesla gave space to on the factory floor.

The seat vendor is (was?) Futuris Automotive, who leased a 160,000 SF former Staples Inc. distribution center and converted it into a Tesla seat factory (including other interior components) in 2014 and moved this activity out of leased space inside Tesla Factory:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/print-edition/2014/08/01/seat-maker-futuris-ramps-up-in-newark-reshores.html

Includes this image and caption: [photo credit: Noah Berger] "Tesla Model S seats are pictured on an assembly line at Futuris Automotive's 160,000 square foot plant and office space in Newark, Calif.":

Futuris Seat Factory.JPG