Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat post wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with Ownership Experience yesterday and learned that TM is still working on a seat post fix for cars that are currently in production, but the solution isn't yet ready. Was told that a fix for owners with current challenges was being "discussed," but it sounded like they were moving slowly on a solution because "relatively few" have expressed a complaint about the seat post wear issue.

A little shoe polish will repair this in a second

In that you put shoe polish on a good 'seat post' and then mark up your pants every day until you no longer rub? (This might actually be a good idea).

Or in that shoe polish will clean up all that scuffing once it happens in no time? (This might actually be a really good idea).

I personally don't rub at all getting into the car, and I drive with the seat fairly far back.

I spoke with Ownership Experience yesterday and learned that TM is still working on a seat post fix for cars that are currently in production, but the solution isn't yet ready. Was told that a fix for owners with current challenges was being "discussed," but it sounded like they were moving slowly on a solution because "relatively few" have expressed a complaint about the seat post wear issue.

Well, "relatively few" people have had a car long enough to notice yet :) Mine was wearing after a few hundred miles, and I made a note to service a month ago. Right now I have a piece of scotch tape over the section.

Also, this is one of those things that folks who don't hang out here won't even think to look for until it's horribly worn and staring them in the face.

I think we all need to email Ownership Experience. It's not a matter of if but when your car will have wear on the seat posts. Wear started showing on my passenger side only after a few hundred miles.

Not necessarily true. Each car is different. I learned how to enter and exit my Roadster differently than all other cars. I get into a LandCruiser differently than I do my Model S. And I happened to be aware of this issue from the forum before I even got my car, so it was no trouble at all to immediately teach myself a non-rubbing way to get into the car: right foot in, left hand on wheel, swing body into seat without rubbing on the B pillar, lean back. Easy as pie... 500 miles and zero wear.

It's a real design issue for Tesla, of course, and they should fix that for the future as well as figure out how to make it better for current customers. I certainly agree that this part of the design could have been better. It's just not true that everyone will have wear issues. Some drivers won't have them at all, and some drivers will adapt.

"Some" could be a small number or it could be the huge majority, and that's the biggest question... what percentage of people will have this problem? Some, but not all.

Mine was wearing after a few hundred miles, and I made a note to service a month ago. Right now I have a piece of scotch tape over the section.

Also, this is one of those things that folks who don't hang out here won't even think to look for until it's horribly worn and staring them in the face.
Calling ownership experience and your local service manager makes sense if you see any wear. While not everyone will have the problem, it hurts the brand to have cars out there that look shoddy. And, please consider buying a roll of gaffer's tape (eBay?) rather than Scotch or duct tape because it won't leave a residue that will damage your leather.

I noted small signs of wear after 1000 miles and now change the gaffer's tape every couple of weeks . . . a simple solution until Tesla comes up with a real solution . . . and, yes, I've altered the way that I enter/exit the car to minimize wear.

One more idea . . . whenever you are at at Tesla showroom, look at the condition of the seat post wear cars on display and let the staff know about your concerns . . . both in terms of brand quality and the impact of the design flaw on our car.

One more idea . . . whenever you are at at Tesla showroom, look at the condition of the seat post wear cars on display and let the staff know about your concerns . . . both in terms of brand quality and the impact of the design flaw on our car.
I did comment on this several times already. Their response was the demo car in the showroom is not a true representation as they have thousands of customers everyday which made the car like a 75 years old already. :cursing:

I did comment on this several times already. Their response was the demo car in the showroom is not a true representation as they have thousands of customers everyday which made the car like a 75 years old already. :cursing:

I think they've been given that "script". I got that exact same answer at Santa Monica, Newport Beach and Toronto when I pointed it out and asked about the wear.

I think they've been given that "script". I got that exact same answer at Santa Monica, Newport Beach and Toronto when I pointed it out and asked about the wear.

As I have a very good relationship with a major auto and airplane seat leather manufacturer, one of the first things I'll do is see if they can make a kit to provide some second layer of leather that will prevent this. They can match any color perfectly so that won't be an issue.

Sorry for the OT but...

Jim, which vehicle and config do you have in mind? Glad to hear you're still interested in eventually getting one.

It would have to be the S 60 as I don't have any need for the 85 as specd. My wife and I are actually in the market for a new car too. The S was on our list a year ago (and if you recall I actually had a reservation at one point) but we just can't afford the potential for vehicle down-time, nor are we comfortable with the cost of some of their add-on stuff like the service plans. If my wife and I were dealing with some of these vehicle issues it would be maddening, not just for my wife as the primary driver but especially for me lol. If I was spending my limited free time talking to customer-support and ultimately having to email VPs to get action, I think my head would explode in frustration.

Anyways, I sincerely hope Tesla gets it together because we want their vehicle. We just want it to run without giving us any headaches, that's all.

It would have to be the S 60 .... The S was on our list a year ago (and if you recall I actually had a reservation at one point) but we just can't afford the potential for vehicle down-time, nor are we comfortable with the cost of some of their add-on stuff like the service plans.
Yup, I remember. Hence "still".

If you had kept your 40 reservation would the current 40-but-really-60 vehicle have been compelling enough for you to finalize?

All,
I spoke with my OEA today he is asking for pictures. My wear isn't bad right now actually barely noticeable, the spot with the worse wear I've already had replaced. If anyone out there has some good pictures of wear, I would appreciate it if you would post with your VIN #. My OEA is looking for examples on owner cars to take to upper management.

thanks

All,
I spoke with my OEA today he is asking for pictures. My wear isn't bad right now actually barely noticeable, the spot with the worse wear I've already had replaced. If anyone out there has some good pictures of wear, I would appreciate it if you would post with your VIN #. My OEA is looking for examples on owner cars to take to upper management.

thanks
What is OEA?

See here for pictures

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13763-Rear-Seat-Entrance-Leather-Wear

Problem is those aren't actual owner-owned cars. I think those are demos in the store. they will dismiss them as they do verbally in the stores. what we need are actual owners cars with wear and stats of how long theyve been use...of course since we're all aware of the issue and are taking care not to have the problem, the wear doesn't look so bad...yet.

My B pillars are wearing noticeably, on the section which is finished with headliner -- after what, two months?

As Doug said in another thread, the problem is that there are too many soft materials in heavy-wear areas. It's pretty common to finish these sections with hard plastic.