Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second row seat error “unlatched”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past six months, I intermittently received the error message on my mid-row seat not being latched. In some cases, the seat wasn’t all the way back, but none of my controls (side of seat or touchscreen) could push it back more. The next time I turn the car, I could push it back and the error would go away.

Now, I can verify the seat is all the way back, it’s secure, but I am constantly getting this error.

I’d like to try and diagnose before heading to the SC, especially since I’m out of warranty. Any suggestions on what mechanics to look for?

Attachments

• E06FDD20-5014-4DF0-A17B-7E29C0DF2AEA.jpeg
    E06FDD20-5014-4DF0-A17B-7E29C0DF2AEA.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Yep, I’ve tried the range of motions many times, but no luck. It feels like either a sensor issue since the seat is back, or it just has a millimeter more to go back and the motor isn’t pushing it all the way back.

I’m not sure what it looks like under the floor with the motor. Are there and schematics anyone knows of?

It’s a Dec 2017 Model X.

A google search for
Second Row Seats Unlatched
found a thread that had the reset below. Maybe give it a try and let us know. If works then we can add it to the Model X reset wiki page.
Other threads indicated that Tesla wanted to replace the seat for $4K.

This happened to me yesterday, on the right side, and I called Tech support, by the time I got them on the line, my car was locked and charging for about an hour, it had cleared itself.

I was told to turn car on (brake pedal) move front seat all the way forward, then move second row seat all the way forward using the shoulder button, then press and hold it forward for 5 seconds, then press it in the reverse direction and then hold it in reverse position for 5 seconds. Return front seat to normal position and it should latch the next time you try to use the second row.

I attribute this to my child seat affecting the sensors in the seat, but it has happened once without the seat in place as well. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what causes this glitch, my guess is it has something to do with the position you move second row using the lower seat switches. A side note: when this alert is present, the "tilt" function of the individual seat is disabled.