Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security of Phone/Card/Key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an issue with my phone key being able to unlock my door whilst I'm inside my house and the car is parked on the driveway. Maybe my phone broadcasts Bluetooth too strongly, the walls are too thin, or the Tesla is too sensitive but while my app says the car is locked if my phone is in the adjacent room, anyone outside could in practice open the doors and boot.

So I use the PIN to Drive and Tasker to turn off my phone's Bluetooth overnight for some added peace of mind. Key card in a NFC blocking wallet which everyone should have anyway to block contactless payments in crowded environments.
I have a similar problem where the key fob is left on the door and its not far away enough so often doesn't lock the car for whatever reason.

The fob "powers down" after 15m or requires a closer proximity for unlocking the car, I presume the mobile key has a similar feature, perhaps leave your phone in said room for 15m and see if you can unlock the car then.

Reactions: JHWL
or is there a cleverer method of ensuring security that i'm yet to learn?

Doggos (they're the goodest).

You've got some great suggestions here in the thread - if all those things are overcome you're probably in more danger than any car or ego is worth, so just hand over the key fob.

I bolded the doggos bit because they bring the added benefit of not needing to be dangerous to be effective. ;)

Reactions: Skie
are you able to open the car when your phone is in the house though? My phone key is often connected to the car when the phone is indoors, but the car won’t open as it can tell how far the phone is from the car - I think it uses signal response time or some such to estimate the distance. Even when outdoors, if my phone is more than 3m away from the car it won’t open the doors even though the Bluetooth key is connected.
Oh yes, I've purposefully left my phone in several rooms and have still been able to walk outside and unlock the door during my investigation. In one scenario about 10m away from the kitchen if the front door is wide open.
just to throw spanner into works:

If someone really (REALLY) wants to steal your car, nothing will stop them :)
Really goes without saying. 😄

I have an issue with my phone key being able to unlock my door whilst I'm inside my house and the car is parked on the driveway. Maybe my phone broadcasts Bluetooth too strongly

A while back there was a thread discussing "how far away", the upshot was some phones worked further away than others.

For some people just having their phone ion their back pocket meant the door wouldn't unlock ... others could be right across the car park.

So i suspect its your phone, not the walls of your house being too thin :)

An app is a poor solution as they're unreliable. It needs to be a physical device that doesn't rely on internet or anything else. Anything involving picking up a mobile phone will being in the car could also cause legal issues.
Authenticator apps work offline...

If you're suggesting people authenticate with PIN, key, and phone, then that'd be three-factor authentication.
I'm suggesting you open up your authenticator app and enter the code generated for your car instead of using the same pin over and over while leaving tell tale finger prints (even if the keypad moves about).

If you use a USB key instead of an authenticator app then even better, plug that in and off you go.

Not sure how you've come to the conclusion of 3FA...

Reactions: randompixel
Authenticator apps work offline...

I'm suggesting you open up your authenticator app and enter the code generated for your car instead of using the same pin over and over while leaving tell tale finger prints (even if the keypad moves about).

If you use a USB key instead of an authenticator app then even better, plug that in and off you go.

Ideally FIDO2 style authentication. Get in car, notification pops up, authenticate with biometrics, drive.

Reactions: golfcaddy

That's actually what got me thinking about all this. I thought very briefly about whether I could use my Yubikey for my Tesla before concluding that it'd be pointless as it's doing the exact same thing as a keycard/fob (I believe pre-Tesla cars had a physical device that you plugged in which allowed the car to start 😁). I use a Yubikey for U2F, GPG signing of Git commits, SSH auth, and outputting my 1Password secret key. We used to hot-desk and pair-program at work, so being able to sign in to all the things on any machine, and also cryptographically prove the author of my code, was quite handy.

As I explained and you quoted, I thought you were suggesting PIN, key and TOTP. I can imagine it'd be easy to gloss over that in a hurry.

Arguably TOTP and keyfob is less secure, as it lacks "something you know", and both could be stolen without your knowledge. Perhaps your PIN could be inferred from the touchscreen (are you trying to tell me you don't all wear silk gloves in your £60k+ cars? 😜 ), but assuming no physical traces are left then it can't be stolen without either surveillance or your knowledge.

There's a reason banks and the likes of Google require their staff to use passwords as well as physical devices, and not more physical devices.

Ideally FIDO2 style authentication

Are you thinking that the relying party is a server running on the car, or in Tesla's compute estate? I definitely wouldn't be at all keen on the latter. If it's the former, then that's not a million miles away from what the key already does. FIDO2 probably wouldn't be terribly appropriate, as there's no need for an intermediary.

Biometric authentication would be cool though. Maybe they'll do that with the internal cameras one day.

Or hear me out... like a unique metal thing you would insert in a keyhole, say, next to the steering column.
Pins would have to align with corresponding ridges, and if they do, you would be able to twist it by a quarter of a turn to engage in Drive...

Look, I've made a small diagram if it helps...
1675704348016.png

IRL cyber security folks don't act how most here are. What "might happen" in a lab with 2 guys, a small miracle, and some pixy dust? Nobody cares.

There are three aspects we actually consider

1) What it is the risk dollar? (likelyhood x cost, but don't forget reputational risk)
2) What is the cost to mitigate?
3) What is the social cost to mitigate?

As regards justification to mitigate tesla cyber theft risk dollars, I've spilled more coffee today than that value. Now if you're transporting gold, drugs, or diamonds in one on the regular, well...

BTW, I don't drink coffee.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Sure but you can steal one and guess the second - no different to someone pinching your bank card. A 20th century solution.

2FA using an authenticator app will be infinitely more secure as the code will be unique and only last 30 seconds.
Tesla has done a good job so far avoiding situations that make the cars undriveable. Relying on an authenticator app would be a big step in the wrong direction. You need to be able to unlock the car when there is no cell or wifi connection. You need to be able to unlock the car when the phone fails, is lost or stolen, or runs out of juice.

Yes, relying on an authenticator would be much more secure but it would create situations where people can't use their car. With no cell service, Tesla would not even be able to disable 2FA remotely.

Reactions: ringi
1) only the newer fobs timeout and shutdown if not moved for a while. Mine definitely does not.

2) to avoid the fingerprint on the screen or someone watching while entering the pin, you can enable “start” from the app and the pin isn’t needed for that driving session.

Tesla has done a good job so far avoiding situations that make the cars undriveable. Relying on an authenticator app would be a big step in the wrong direction. You need to be able to unlock the car when there is no cell or wifi connection. You need to be able to unlock the car when the phone fails, is lost or stolen, or runs out of juice.

Yes, relying on an authenticator would be much more secure but it would create situations where people can't use their car. With no cell service, Tesla would not even be able to disable 2FA remotely.
Sure, but authenticator apps don't rely on an internet connection, they run completely offline. Your fears are unfounded.

You need to be able to unlock the car when the phone fails, is lost or stolen, or runs out of juice.

With no cell service, Tesla would not even be able to disable 2FA remotely.
Sure, but authenticator apps don't rely on an internet connection, they run completely offline. Your fears are unfounded.
AFAIK authenticator apps still need a working phone or tablet to run on. With no cell service Tesla can't unlock the car for you remotely. Seems to me at least two out of my three points are well founded.

Despite your zeal for 2FA, the risk of bricking the car should not be taken so blithely.

Wow so many of you are hugely complicating this. The solution to this problem already exists as an industry standard and isn't intrusive to the end user experience. It's Ultra Wideband (UWB) and part of CCC's Digital Car Key V3 standard.

UWB is not suspectible to relay attacks and accurately judges distance in this case to the car so it will only open when you are close enough. Also as it's a standard you can use it on iPhones, Apple Watches and some Androids without additional apps. BMW's been fitting it to some of their cars.

Also while Land Rover doesn't support phone based keys, they are using UWB in their keyfobs of their newest vehicles to stop relay attacks.

Car Theft Group Test - Britain's Most Secure Cars

Of course cannot be a software update here, will need Tesla to fit new hardware to their cars to support it.

Last edited:
AFAIK authenticator apps still need a working phone or tablet to run on. With no cell service Tesla can't unlock the car for you remotely. Seems to me at least two out of my three points are well founded.

Despite your zeal for 2FA, the risk of bricking the car should not be taken so blithely.
Not at all, quite the opposite, I'm very much in the "I don't care because insurance will pay out if the car gets stolen" camp so I don't use anything other than a key card or phone to unlock and drive my cars.

My real beef is with the idea pin to drive is somehow secure and my argument is that if you really want security then a 2FA code is infinitely more secure than the you using your year of birth or some other insecure pin than can be solved if you put enough effort into it.

There's a reason why companies force you to have longer passcodes on your work phone because 4 digits is not secure.

Allow me to check my understanding - you believe that proving that you have two physical devices in your custody is a more secure solution than proving that you have one physical device in your custody, and that you know a secret. You believe this because the secret is low-entropy, people could choose it poorly, and the secret could be deduced from physical evidence like fingerprints on a screen.

a 2FA code is infinitely more secure than the you using your year of birth or some other insecure pin

This is comparing apples to oranges.

At the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, you would then have two factors from the same category (something you own) that could be stolen. This would not be "infinitely more secure". Having factors from different categories, one of which has little physical existence outside of the connections between neurons in your brain, would be more secure.

A TOTP is simply the mechanism to prove you own a physical widget, which as a couple of us have pointed out now includes such mundane solutions such as keys. Its entropy and timed nature do nothing to mitigate the fact that if you own the widget, you can authenticate. It provides absolutely zero benefit beyond a physical key, and only downsides in reduced convenience. Requiring two keys would be just as secure as using a TOTP, but with less faff.

I can imagine that some confusion is arising owing to the means of proving you have the widget being similar to proving that you know the secret (4-digit character entry), but they're achieving totally different ends.

Yes, requiring a second factor proving custody of a physical item is more secure than only requiring a low-entropy secret. But we already have that second factor - it's the key that we all already own.

The degree of entropy in the secret-you-know is important, but it is also a compromise with convenience. At one guess a second, a 4-digit PIN would take up to 2 hours and 47 minutes crack. That's a long time for someone to be sat in your car undetected.

There's a reason why companies force you to have longer passcodes on your work phone because 4 digits is not secure.

Yes and that reason is, unlike unlocking a car, logging into a phone does not require a second factor to authenticate. Hence in the absence of the second factor of a different nature, the entropy of the secret is much more important. There's a reason why in most cases (laptops) companies force you to have secrets and physical devices, and not multiple physical devices.

If my refutation of the central point isn't landing, then a call to authority might be: if TOTPs were such a good idea in this instance, why would Tesla's security professionals not have implemented it when they rolled out 2FA for online login? Why has no-one in (my limited knowledge of) automotive history required presentation of two physical devices to start the car? Why don't HSBC, NatWest, BNP Paribas, JPMC, Santander, Google, or others require multiple physical factors to for their workers to authenticate? Why when Google have multiple two-factor methods to authenticate end-users (ie you can have a TOTP device registered, and a mobile phone number to receive calls/texts) don't they allow you to require both and not just choose one?

If your concern is PIN entropy then a simpler solution would be allowing characters from the western alphabet as well as numbers. It wouldn't be infinitely more secure, but approximately 172 times more secure if we consider the amount of time to brute-force it, meaning you could leave someone guessing your PIN once per second non-stop for 19 days before they'd definitely have guessed it.