Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking tow damage advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Thursday May 12th, 2016, I was doing work for a client at their residence. Apparently the street has no parking which wasn't clearly marked and you had to park in specific areas. I'm not going to debate that as that's the point to this thread. Two hours in the client screams at me to come outside. I get out there and they're trying to tow my car. At this point they have the car up on the dolly(?) all 4 wheels 6-8". I insist they lower the car since it isn't a flatbed and I'm afraid they may damage the car. The guy yammers on about how he's been towing for 12yrs and insists that he's towed plenty of Teslas (yeah right!).

After negotiating with him a $100 "drop fee", they finally lower the car and we go on our way. I didn't bother inspecting at the time as I watched them lower it and it seemed simple enough... so I thought. In the meantime, I call Tesla and ask if it was OK to tow the car in that particular manner. I get a callback later and the Tesla person says I shouldn't have to worry... so I thought.

So this morning I wash my car as I normally do over the weekend if it doesn't appear it's going to rain. As I'm finishing up I feel some ridges on the front driver side bumper. Since I'm in the garage the lighting isn't that good so I pull the car out and I find 3 areas of damage. I think I can safely say it isn't some type of debris damage as that area is flush to the door as you can see in the pictures.

So at this point I'm seeking advice on what to do. The person had a partner working with him and it's possible he's the one that did the damage as he was the passenger of the tow truck and was the one that unhooked the contraptions on his side.

On the receipt it shows that it is a 2-door car rather than 4. He writes down my CDL down but one number can easily be mistaken as another. I didn't take a picture of the front while it was up in the air which I wish I did all 4 sides now. It doesn't appear the other 3 sides had any damage. The reason they have listed is blocking fire lane. I'll have to drive by again to look for signs but I think I think the street is wide enough for a fire truck to get through even with the car there although I'm not sure if there's cars on both sides. There were also 3 other cars parked in the street (I think residents) so I think I was singled out. One car on the same street had a sign on the driver window that said not to tow it but I can't remember the reason. I thought it was odd. If I knew it was a tow zone I certainly wouldn't have parked there. A neighbor was gracious enough to let me park in his driveway after he witnessed the incident.

Tow Damage.jpg
Tow Damage 2.jpg
Tow blur.jpg
Tow Recipt Blur.jpg

Last edited:
I've had more than a few nightmares about my car being towed like that and something happening. Hopefully the damage is limited to just that bit (and the tow company pays).

I've a couple of friends who've been towed and with photos indicating that it wasn't marked clearly enough were able to get fines dropped. I think they both still had to pay for the tow to get their car out of the impound lot though.

If your car gets stolen, found by police, then towed to a lot, you still have to pay. Happened to me in college... they wouldnt even let me access my car to get my text books until i paid tow and impound fees. The books were worth well more than the car too...

I don't know the whole story, but just by observing the parked area from the picture I can't see any red lines? If this happened in SA you can only be towed if there are clearly marked red lines, back to topic I can only think that you will have a hard time providing proof that they did in fact scratched your vehicle, good luck.

I had to have a perfectly drivable Civic towed to a yard after it was in an accident because the guy who hit me pushed me into the snow and it got stuck. They wouldn't just pull it out, they had to take it 15 miles to their facility. Went to pick it up and they had destroyed it. Tons of additional damage all over the front and rear of the vehicle. Clearly they'd rammed it into something in the process.

Two months of fighting ensued, and I'll share my findings: there's zero accountability in the towing business. The chance of you convincing them that they caused that damage is zero, and even if you did, they'd disclaim responsibility for said damage. They do not care about you, your car, or their reputation.

You could sue, but then you have to prove they caused the damage. I'd be livid, but it's probably best for your blood pressure and sanity to just let it go. Fortunately the damage is in a plastic part that's cheap and easy to repair.

Sorry this happened. :(

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
I guess I'll just have to go to my auto body person and get an estimate on how much this will cost while avoiding my insurance company. The damage is curved and in more than one area so I was hoping I could use that if someone could provide a reasonable means to fight them. My other last resort is to ask my recently retired CHP neighbor.