Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self dipping headlights should be next inline for neural net smarts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry yes, a bit of New Zealand slang there. Dipping your headlights here means switching to low beams :)

The issues I'm observing could also be a quirk of the RHD conversion. It wouldn't be the first - it also seems to favour a phone key on the left of the car vs the right if there's a key available on both sides and applies the left phones driver profile
You're driving on the wrong side of the road !

Sorry yes, a bit of New Zealand slang there. Dipping your headlights here means switching to low beams :)

The issues I'm observing could also be a quirk of the RHD conversion. It wouldn't be the first - it also seems to favour a phone key on the left of the car vs the right if there's a key available on both sides and applies the left phones driver profile

OK, now what is a "phone key"?

What would be really useful is if Tesla enabled the matrix led array that forms the Model 3 low-beam to selectively light up different sections of the road (dim if oncoming traffic is detected, brighten to reflect off signs etc). Front and side firing cameras would be used for this.

This is something available on most VAG vehicles across Europe and Asia... disabled in the US (antiquated DOT regulations).

The Tesla doesn’t have this type of technology. It uses a pretty low tech reflector type of light. It is effective, I have not wanted for much more light at all, but there is nothing more to “enable”. Those lights you are referring to use 70 or more individual LED’s and a projector type assembly. Very different to what the Model 3 has.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
What would be really useful is if Tesla enabled the matrix led array that forms the Model 3 low-beam to selectively light up different sections of the road (dim if oncoming traffic is detected, brighten to reflect off signs etc). Front and side firing cameras would be used for this.

This is something available on most VAG vehicles across Europe and Asia... disabled in the US (antiquated DOT regulations).
BMW does something similar, creating a “tunnel” in which the high beam dims down when approaching a vehicle.

"Phone key" doesn't sound strange or in anyway confusing to me. I wouldn't expect anyone who has a Tesla to not know what that means.

I'd submit a bug report to Tesla about the car favoring the left key if I were you.

"Phone key" doesn't sound strange or in anyway confusing to me. I wouldn't expect anyone who has a Tesla to not know what that means.

I'd submit a bug report to Tesla about the car favoring the left key if I were you.
What's the best way to do that these days?

It's something a few of us in NZ have observed so it doesn't seem to be unique to my car at least.

BMW does something similar, creating a “tunnel” in which the high beam dims down when approaching a vehicle.
My BMW still gets flashed by oncoming vehicles so I don't worry anymore and allow my BMW & Model 3 to do it own thing with auto lights. Some vehicles will flash way before my vehicles get anywhere near close. Tesla can update auto high & low beam lights as much as they like but it will not stop vehicles coming towards you to flash their lights.

My BMW still gets flashed by oncoming vehicles so I don't worry anymore and allow my BMW & Model 3 to do it own thing with auto lights. Some vehicles will flash way before my vehicles get anywhere near close. Tesla can update auto high & low beam lights as much as they like but it will not stop vehicles coming towards you to flash their lights.

Sometimes it is just the road geometry. With the newer headlights there is a very sharp declination for the low beam. If your car is cresting a hill the low beam will be pointed directly at oncoming traffic rather than being pointed down at the road. Likewise acceleration will cause the front of the car to rise up enough that it shines in the eyes of oncoming traffic. I know, I've been flashed when using my gas pedal.

Sometimes it is just the road geometry. With the newer headlights there is a very sharp declination for the low beam. If your car is cresting a hill the low beam will be pointed directly at oncoming traffic rather than being pointed down at the road. Likewise acceleration will cause the front of the car to rise up enough that it shines in the eyes of oncoming traffic. I know, I've been flashed when using my gas pedal.
They will not dip under street lights as they will only dip for incoming or behind vehicles. BMW's lights do dip first sign of street lights ahead. It would be good if Tesla changes to dipping as long as there are street lights.

They will not dip under street lights as they will only dip for incoming or behind vehicles. BMW's lights do dip first sign of street lights ahead. It would be good if Tesla changes to dipping as long as there are street lights.

You can say that, but I've had the high beam NOT come back up after a car has passed simply because there was a bright road sign visible. I don't really care if it works better than a BMW. I want it to work well enough to use all the time.

Reactions: Matt_NZ
I use the auto headlights all the time - their timing seems to be perfect.

However, I've tried the auto high beams a few times, both in light city traffic and on the highway. Their performance seems almost random at times, so I don't use them any more.