Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

self presenting door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I volunteered at the Toronto Auto Show Tesla Booth, I had a fair bit of time to explore the Model X. One thing I noted with the self presenting front doors is that it appears they would strike a car parked beside it if you open the doors from the fob or the touch screen. I tried standing in the door's way, and it definitely did tap me on the leg as it tried to open. It seemed to stop based on contact with my leg and not proximity to it. It probably wouldn't hit an adjacent car hard, but I don't think it should even be touching the side of someone else's car. Wondering if any owners with more experience confirm or deny this?
We tested this with the first Sig delivered to Washington State. Well, dirkhh tested it anyway. He parked his S RIGHT next to it and with the owners blessing, opened the door. It stopped before hitting the car. We found it did as you indicated with human bodies, but not vehicles. ;-)

Cheers!

I had to put bubble wrap around the wood post in the garage to cushion the passenger door as it will not stop in time, even though the post is near the door handle area.

Tesla Motors could help by having front door opening limits stored for the home location or the ability to disable the full electric door opening feature for the home location. An unlatch only option could allow for user monitored door opening without the need to remember to physically pull on the large door handle from inside to prevent the door from opening fully.

@pvogel, I'm happy to admit you were right, and I was wrong!
So you think the front doors are powered even without the Premium Upgrades package? They'll open and close under their own power, just by pressing the handle or using the touchscreen? The only thing the Premium Upgrades package adds (related to the front doors) is auto-present? I hope you're right, but I have my doubts. I wonder how long it'll be before an X without the Premium Upgrades is delivered, so we'll know for sure.

Ok finally got my x. it's 90d without the self presenting feature.

It does come with 2 motors per each of the front doors. 1 motor to latch the door shut tightly, and the other to swing the door open or close.

Here is a short video of how it works:

Notice that pressing the break or using the console can close the door, click the handle will open or close the door. the door opens slightly when it detects obstacles

I'm very happy with how it works without self presenting feature.

Can the Fob open the front doors? And can the Fob open the Falcon Wings?
The fob can open the falcon wings. It can also open the front driver's side door if you have auto-present enabled. A double tap to unlock will also open the driver's door. But there isn't a separate button/control for each front door. Personally, I'd like there to be - something like a triple tap on the falcon wing buttons to open the fronts..

The fob can open the falcon wings. It can also open the front driver's side door if you have auto-present enabled. A double tap to unlock will also open the driver's door. But there isn't a separate button/control for each front door. Personally, I'd like there to be - something like a triple tap on the falcon wing buttons to open the fronts..
I would rather have the fob open the door on click when auto-present is NOT enabled. The door is going to open anyway when I get close without touching the fob; I just don’t get the current logic.

I would rather have the fob open the door on click when auto-present is NOT enabled. The door is going to open anyway when I get close without touching the fob; I just don’t get the current logic.
I agree. I have previously sent this request to Tesla. I don't use auto-present but would like the ability to open the door with the fob when I can see that the clearance is adequate.

Reactions: K-MTG
What I would rather is that the door not open every time I want to get something from the garage because I happened to have left the fob in my pocket but instead be able to pick up the fob, click it while putting it in my pocket as I’m walking into the garage with plans to get into the car, or wait for me to press the handle if the fob is already tucked away in a pocket. What I really want is a neural lace so the door opens on my approach only when I plan on driving (not really).

Again, another person who walks around their house with the key in their pocket. My key gets dumped in the "key bowl" when I walk through the door. I understand the plight of having a door open/close when you don't want it to though. i'm sure I'll experience the real struggles soon. June Delivery!

How is your overall fit and finish? I ask because the spacing between your front and FWD looks real good.

the finish looks ok but not perfect. the most visible misalignment is around the driverside handles, where the FWD handle is 1/4" higher than the driver side door. it's not a problem on the passenger side.

I wonder if they can adjust the alignment.

the finish looks ok but not perfect. the most visible misalignment is around the driverside handles, where the FWD handle is 1/4" higher than the driver side door. it's not a problem on the passenger side.

I wonder if they can adjust the alignment.
Sorry to hear that. That does not show in your video. Do mean the passenger side?

I suspect there is something they can do to the FWD to make it drop some. Of course this will lower the door so all the angles will be dropped the same amount.

Sorry to hear that. That does not show in your video. Do mean the passenger side?

I suspect there is something they can do to the FWD to make it drop some. Of course this will lower the door so all the angles will be dropped the same amount.

No the driver side, it's a slight mis-alignment, here is a photo of it. but notice the fwd handle is not centered vertically. Maybe I'm too picky.
IMG_20160607_101906.jpg

No the driver side, it's a slight mis-alignment, here is a photo of it. but notice the fwd handle is not centered vertically. Maybe I'm too picky.View attachment 179951

For the price we all paid, be as picky as you want. From what I've seen Tesla will do whatever it takes to get it right and the services centers don't mind working on it. If they aren't working to fix yours, they're working to fix someone elses.