Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling my Model X... thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are confident today that the X will be in high enough demand/esteem to warrant selling for significantly more than MSRP, it seems a better plan would be to buy stock with the money you would have spent on the car. Less messy, and it's a pretty safe bet that if the X is a success, the stock will reflect that.

You're not going to get the same premium that you've heard about on Model S vehicles - production ramp up was much slower for the S than it will be for the X. Tesla was still learning then, so the wait was much much longer. The waiting period for the X will be compressed. Later reservation numbers won't really be waiting that much longer than someone with a number like yours. The premium just won't be that much. The Signature premium might still be equivalent, but just not a great way to tie up your money. You'd make more investing it in TSLA, imo.

The delay in getting an X is not going to be that long.
For someone to pay a $10-$30k premium they will want exactly the options they would select.
If you had one of the first 10-100 signatures, maybe.
If you can't afford to keep it, why risk loosing money on it?

I agree with the others, cancel your reservation, get 100% of your money back.
If you still want to take some risk, take your reservation money and buy Tesla stock. You have a lot better chance of making money on that IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

... You'd make more investing it in TSLA, imo.

Jinx!

All US will not be produced before EU this time.
EU will get the first cars 3-4 months after US, (where two months will be transportation)
Norwegian X reservation page says delivery summer 2015, US says fall 2015.
I guess all Signature produced first (except UK), then all production in batches, US, EU, US, quite posible like it is now, EU in start of quarter, so it is delivered in the same quarter.

sigurdi

All US will not be produced before EU this time.
EU will get the first cars 3-4 months after US, (where two months will be transportation)
Norwegian X reservation page says delivery summer 2015, US says fall 2015.
I guess all Signature produced first (except UK), then all production in batches, US, EU, US, quite posible like it is now, EU in start of quarter, so it is delivered in the same quarter.

sigurdi

US says fall due to the total count of US cars versus Europe (see this sub-section's Model X Tally). I suspect that in the first three months of production, 80% or more are US-bound Model X. The reservation ratio is 5:1 N.A. versus Europe. Hong Kong and Australia will have to wait for 2017 :) (that's dark humor for those waiting in those two locations right now)

You are gambling that you will be able to sell it for more than the cost of the $10,000 in tax credits that you both, buyer and seller, will loose.

Once he buys the Model X doesn't he qualify for the $7,500 Federal tax credit (don't know how CA credit works) even if he re-sells the Model X "used" the next day? Does he have tp wait for the title and plates from Tesla and then re-sell it?

My reservation number is in the 1900's and I am guessing I should get my Model X by Spring 2015. I am not sure I still can afford to keep the car.
Any thoughts on buying it and reselling immediately? I figure I won't benefit from the tax rebates, but I could still make a profit.
I spoke to one of the store managers and he made it very clear that I can't "sell my number", but that after I purchase it, I can sell it again.

If could get a fully loaded one at just over $100k, and then list it for twice the price. I figure some people might go for it.
I heard that the Model S cars were sometimes selling higher once used. But I plan to sell it to someone the moment they drop it off, without driving it at all.

Thanks for your thoughts.

If I were you, I'd just cancel it, take back my $5k and let everyone else move up in line one spot. Even if you try and sell it, you have a greater chance at taking a loss or having to pay for it and end up going bankrupt (if that is the reason you aren't sure you can afford it).

I'm not going to tell you what to do but I will provide this data point:

The best offer I got from someone who wanted to jump the line and buy our car was +$20k from the MSRP for a fully loaded Signature P85. That said, I didn't put a lot of effort into soliciting offers, as I didn't want to sell, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving six figures on the table.

Remember that's after having a $40k deposit parked at TSLA for years....so the IRR on reselling would definitely have been less than investing in the S&P over the same period.

Here is how you can pull this off.
Sell the car quietly to a person and when Tesla ask you to fill out the paper work for the title put it in a corporate name which can be owned by your buyer.
If you don't make the deal you want over the next 12 months, give up your spot and get your down payment back.

I faced a similar problem as Sig 113 holder. After thinking it through I cancelled the reservation and never looked back. Had way to many other things happening in my life and holding on to something that I was just going to let go made more stress. Today things look much better. My recommendation is say good by and move on...

Last edited:
If you aren't sure about affordability, then I suggest selling it for a slight premium....the $100k+ is borderline ripoff.

100k premium is not a rip off if someone is willing to pony up. I highly doubt such a person exists (not to mention lots of other people will be willing to let theirs go for half that).

So it's more delusional than rip off.

Just sayin'.

The 5 people from Moscow, Beijing or Dubai who are willing to pay 50 or 100% premium to be "the first kid in town" will likely get their cars before your production number is delivered to you. I am sure there will be quite a few Signatures waiting to be unloaded with no miles on odometer for this exact reason.