Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling new inventory instead of fulfilling existing orders?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order in October ‘21 and delivery is now currently delayed until Sept ‘22. Today I saw that Tesla posted the exact same configuration (now at a slightly higher price) to its new inventory and is offering a Jan ‘22 delivery.

So…instead of fulfilling its existing orders, Tesla is selling any current inventory to new customers?!? Is this happening to anyone else?

How do we avoid the wait and get our hands on new inventory?

I placed an order in October ‘21 and delivery is now currently delayed until Sept ‘22. Today I saw that Tesla posted the exact same configuration (now at a slightly higher price) to its new inventory and is offering a Jan ‘22 delivery.

So…instead of fulfilling its existing orders, Tesla is selling any current inventory to new customers?!? Is this happening to anyone else?

How do we avoid the wait and get our hands on new inventory?

There is no configuration of a model Y that tesla sells that has a delivery date of "Sept 22". I just went to tesla.com right now to place a pretend order to test this, and its july for a long range or march for a performance.

So, what configuration exactly do you have that tesla has a sept 22 delivery date without any delay on your end?

Upvote 0
Model Y long range with the smaller wheel is Nov '22 delivery when I try it.

I don't see anything with an EDD of January???

I checked my post again and I dont believe I said January. I said July, and March from what I saw but I didnt change wheel size.

EDIT: will you look at that... changing the wheel size changes the eta from July to november, with no other change. Thats crazy.

To answer the question, sometimes those inventory cars are not actually there, and sometimes they are as a car someone else did not pick up. If you see one you can contact a SA to try to get swapped to it, but given inventory shortages it will likely be gone before you do.

Upvote 0
I ended up reserving a car that I found in Tesla’s new inventory. It’s the exact same configuration as the one I ordered in Oct ‘21.

The car (w/ VIN) that I just reserved is scheduled for delivery in 1.5 weeks while my Oct ‘21 order is estimated for Sept ‘22. I called Tesla to ask if they would fulfill my Oct ‘21 order with what I reserved today as well as reconcile the difference in price (today’s MY price is greater than the price in Oct ‘21). They are not willing to negotiate - not only do they want me to pay the current MY price, but they also expect me to foot both of the $250 reservation fees.

So…back to my original headline - in effect, it seems like Tesla is adding cars to their new inventory instead of filling my (and likely may others’) orders.

I’m feeling a bit helpless. Any ideas on what I should do here? Have others had the same issue?

Upvote 0
Oh I see what you mean. Are you sure that is am absolutely new vehicle or just a very low mileage demo possibly. I think if you look closely you may find that isn't exactly a new vehicle as in they aren't building them specifically just to be added to inventory.

Upvote 0
I see them pop up every single day, but most of the time they are located hundreds of miles away and they are snapped up in minutes. They are not going to match you to a rejected car hundreds of miles away. They will just sell it, charge the delivery fee and sell at the current price.

If I come across my config in the inventory I might just take it and pay out for it.

Upvote 0
Mine was changed recently as well - it is just saying ‘September’ - no year. Per what Insee is like saying - mm I don’t know when it will be. I guess this is because yours like mine will be from Austin giga and they have no clue when and how production will look alike. Now comment about paying the new rate - this is the 1st time I hear that. - you have a contract with the price you closed on the day you order - this is your receipt- they cannot change it - it’s their fault they were delaying the production or yours.

Upvote 0
There are many reasons why your order is in the queue and there may be a similar one for sale. How far away from you is the one for sale? If you did place a second order and hope they would give you that one, then frankly I think it is fair for you to pay two order fees, since you placed two orders. The same applies for the price. If you placed a new order hoping to get an available unit, then it should be at the market price. You asked what you should do. My opinion is you should wait for you Oct 2021 order to get delivered. I suspect it will not be as late as September.

Upvote 0
A good SA can match you depending on location.

Why does Tesla do this? Logistics. It’s painful to move cars around the country just to move them back. Lots of costs and time and logistics. Eventually a car lands somewhere and has no matches so they offer it as an inventory.

With that said, it’s likely that car was a reject or declined by someone else.

Upvote 0
A lot of folks have deferred their orders when the cars were already built and enroute. Tesla has no way of holding these cars or shipping them elsewhere, so they make them available for inventory sale

I saw a bunch of inventory cars pop up on 12/31 in my area (SF Bay Area). I ordered one and got it delivered by the 2nd (they were not doing deliveries on NYD) The car was built on 12/27/21, so in that time frame, they probably assigned the VIN to an existing order and that person for one reason or another deferred delivery, so Tesla made them for sale.

Upvote 0
I saw 2 come up over the weekend in the bay area. I can't believe no one in the bay could not have been matched up with one.

Like this one right here.

Are you telling me no one in the bay has one of these on order? bull crap.

Upvote 0
I saw 2 come up over the weekend in the bay area. I can't believe no one in the bay could not have been matched up with one.

Like this one right here.

Are you telling me no one in the bay has one of these on order? bull crap.

Or most likely Tesla would rather sell the car at current MSRP rather than match a local order that was placed months ago at a lower MSRP.

Sad reality is that Tesla is a publicly traded co who's number 1 priority is to make money.

Upvote 0
A lot of folks have deferred their orders when the cars were already built and enroute. Tesla has no way of holding these cars or shipping them elsewhere, so they make them available for inventory sale

I saw a bunch of inventory cars pop up on 12/31 in my area (SF Bay Area). I ordered one and got it delivered by the 2nd (they were not doing deliveries on NYD) The car was built on 12/27/21, so in that time frame, they probably assigned the VIN to an existing order and that person for one reason or another deferred delivery, so Tesla made them for sale.
What's your VIN range? My cousin's order got canceled on 12/28 because he asked SA to place on hold after he got VIN..

Upvote 0
Hi folks,
First time posting in this channel...
I initially planned to order MY but seeing the estimated delivery date, I have ordered M3LR MSM on 12/05/2021 in Kansas.
Since then my EDD for M3 was moving away and currently is at Feb-march
Intrestung part
Yesterday 01/13/22
I found a new 2022 MYLR red in inventory that was listed in Maryland.
So I instantly booked that and got VIN in couple of minutes, and delivery was scheduled in a week.
I was preparing my self for delivery with insurance and loan stuff...
Then comes the call from local tesla SA saying that vechile was damaged in shipiment process and they say that I would get a vechile in the delivery dates as previously mentioned.

Now at this point I am confused if my EDD gets pushed and would be in the line back?
Anyone with so kind experience?

Upvote 0