Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling price 22 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my ride but not using it much lately and thinking of selling.
Will probably try carmax, carvana, etc but just wondering what you think is realistic.

22 M3P
Palm Beach Area

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 12.39.32 AM.png

Reactions: Bouba
Different markets in the US will drive different prices, you can google KBB values and plug in a few pieces of information and you'll get an idea based on your location. The car looks AMAZING, if I didn't own the same car I would make you an offer :)

These threads always feel like an attempt to have a for sale advertisement in the regular subforums here (which we specifically dont allow).

I say this to ensure there is nothing posted that looks remotely like sales, such as things like "I am offering it for X" or "PM me to discuss it" or anything at all that looks like any attempt to sell it.

Reactions: Lindenwood
No intent just wondering what the market looks like right now. I can look up online values and what people are asking for but that doesn't neccesarily tell me what they are selling for. If someone has recently sold a similar spec, I would be interested in the numbers. Thanks.

Well, the current new price is $50,160 ($49,270 + $1390 - $500) and an optimistically low depreciation rate would be 30% at the 2yr/20k mile point.

So that's $35,112, minus $1K for the aftermarket wheels and then take another $10K off for typical tax credits and you're left with a dealer sale value of around $24K and a trade-in value of less than $22K.

You won't find them going that cheap on the street because used prices are still wack. But don't get your hopes up thinking that it's still worth $85K like it was a year ago. Check Tesla's own used car page as well as the usual Carmax/etc. sites for a good idea of the going rate, and be happy that it's somehow not $22K.

1692402496228.png

Carvana recently offered me $32k for my ‘22 M3P with 30k miles. Used values have plummeted over the past few months due to improved supply/demand and new car prices dropping combined with tax credits. Interest rates aren’t in our favor either.

Unfortunately, most people trying to sell now will take a huge loss. We’ll be keeping our M3P for now. I expect values to drop even more once the Model 3 “Highland” refresh comes.

Last edited:
As Tesla has been reducing their list prices, long waits are no longer required, and Federal/State/Utility rebates are offered, of course used prices will lower as well.
Imaging that if the new Highland release in a couple months, is well received, previous configurations may be expected to bring lower prices as well.

Reactions: EVolv3d
Love my ride but not using it much lately and thinking of selling.
Will probably try carmax, carvana, etc but just wondering what you think is realistic.

Realistic?
WAY less than you expected, but greater than 0.

Well, the current new price is $50,160 ($49,270 + $1390 - $500) and an optimistically low depreciation rate would be 30% at the 2yr/20k mile point.

Try 50+% depreciation.
Ask Tesla itself for a trade-in value, if you want to get a harsh reality check:

Here is an article about 2022 Model S Plaid owner with 19K miles getting an trade-in offer from Tesla for only 51% of the purchase price after one year of ownership. That would be a $57,900 depreciation hit in under 1 year:

Yeah with the latest round of Tesla price cuts... Manheim/Cox (MMR) has a reasonably mileage 2022 Base Perf Model 3 at like $33k. This normally would be close what a used car lot would give as a trade in allowance.

But that's assuming the lot wants the car. Carvana and Vroom usually offer to buy assets at ~5% below MMR wholesale because they like to ensure they can always flip to auction and recoup. Carmax is usually like 20% below MMR because they're ultra-slimy over there.

So retail will list about $40k (20% margin on MMR) ... and then there's room to haggle down to a net price to transaction. So a private sale is looking at around $35k as a great outcome on your sale right now. But if you want to just move it, $33k or $32k should get it done assuming someone actually wants the car.

Here in Northern California, my recent experience is that used car showrooms don't want to touch used Teslas. So their effective trade in allowance is zero lol.

And as others noted, you wait 4 more weeks and your Model 3 will be worth $30k or less. So if you want out... get out. If you're staying in, you're staying in for a while.

Last edited:
Some people fail to take into consideration any Tax Credits/Utility Rebates/State Credits they receive when considering their initial net cost.

Just comparing a high full retail price to a low trade in price will often not give an accurate picture. (more like click bait)

Some even include State Taxes, lic. fees, transportation etc. Trying to cry the blues:(

Carvana recently offered me $32k for my ‘22 M3P with 30k miles. Used values have plummeted over the past few months due to improved supply/demand and new car prices dropping combined with tax credits. Interest rates aren’t in our favor either.

Unfortunately, most people trying to sell now will take a huge loss. We’ll be keeping our M3P for now. I expect values to drop even more once the Model 3 “Highland” refresh comes.
Generally if you plan on selling a car within 5yrs, it's better to just lease.

COVID/ Supply chain issues really made the market go wacky the past few years, but that's not typical. Generally it's better to buy a car if you plan on owning it for >5yrs. That's when the depreciation levels off.

I was worried about this so we ended up selling out LR a few months after owning back a year ago. Back then we were able to sell it for $7k more than we paid after taxes/fees. But I knew it would depreciate fast in the coming year.

We instead kept the Rivian R1T since that one we purchased at the original price, and they were still relatively in short supply. It's changed a lot since then, but I'm always watching the market to see where we stand. Thankfully after the fed tax credit, we're still sitting above what we paid so we'll see...

Reactions: EVolv3d