Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm rolling some, but still expect a not straight line back to 300. Somewhere I would expect a fall back and consolidation before another wave up. I have 13 165 CC's due this week and may let them go and sell puts for next week. I'm in a tax deferred account, so selling doesn't hurt as much. Overall I have 27 CC's out there, all ITM. On the bright side, I have more 140 calls due in July, that I thought might be dead money a week ago.

Reactions: WattsHappening
Heading out for the day , good luck to all. Here's the options volume as of 12:30 (where contracts > 500) ... I included this and next week expiry. It's be sweet if next week we hovered near 170, it'd allow to expire a couple of the CC rolls.

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 12.34.53 PM.png

For those thinking the current price action is particularly strong, unprecedented, etc...., remember that with the share price at ~165, that is ~500 pre-split. There was a time not all that long ago when 600 was unsustainably low (200 post-split), and I personally leaned hard on 233 (700 pre-split) as a nearly unbreakable support.

There is a LOT of room to run up and still be cheap from a long term valuation point of view. Maybe this is the v-shaped recovery back into the upper 200s / 300s that I consider reasonable. Maybe this is just a head fake that gets the put sellers pulled up to higher strikes than they want to be, followed by the reversal back.

I don't know what will be happening of course. I do know that at this share price, I still consider the shares to be cheap enough that I'm not selling cc at any strike. I'm not yet tempted to sell cc at any strike. I'm also in an income position where waiting is modestly uncomfortable, but locking in this huge drop in the share price is more uncomfortable (due to the cc strike being overrun).
Been thinking more about this.

Here is another way to think about the share price... is Tesla more likely worth $400 today or a year ago when it reached ATH?
This is long term investment thinking which can get you into trouble in the short term. It can also be your edge.

My read... the company is much better off today than back then

Holy mother of dogs! Loving this!! My calls are toast, but my portfolio is +++

So I had the "good idea" to split my 26x -c150's expiring today into a roll... sold 13x 2/3 -c150 on a "pop", and then it "POPPED" and I was left stranded with 26x for this week and 13x for next week... well, that's the game we play, eh?

Easy to weep into one's petticoats, but also possible to be philosophical and remember that only three weeks ago, one was thinking to "de-risk" at SP 1O5... So while it may not be perfect, it's dramatically better than it was

1674843307940.png

Did IV shoot up? Trying to figure out what caused LEAPS to explode around 11:00am. I’m seeing Jan24’s up 100% today when yesterday it was 40%
Yes the big 6-7$ hourly candle caused IV to go up.
Your note about 180 is looking pretty good!

Very small chance but if there is an afternoon run up..we could see 184/185 today, there is definitely room on the daily :)

Last edited:
Guess my thoughts about TSLA not breaking 170 without blowout earnings didn't age well. I'll admit that Tesla is not boring.

Opened 170 cc for next Friday yesterday after making a few cents on 160, but will probably let them get assigned next week if TSLA continues up. Then write puts for awhile and let my core shares do their work.

Reactions: Jim Holder