Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

It reminds me of max-pain it worked until it didn't.

I am incredibly frustrated it seems like the whole dynamic of how Tesla used to trade has change. Before I would sell options after the 10:30 MMD but lately it seems that the best time is to sell options early after open. I sold about 30x April 6 $215 for next week.

I wanted to share that my job situation is changing and my wife and I are considering divesting from Tesla into something less volatile and boring like VTI. I also don't feel that confident about the auto market when car loans are 7-6% for 72 months 😳 even thought Tesla seems to be doing great but how long can they keep it up with those crazy rates. It really hurts leaving all that ton of money on the table when Tesla was in the $400's and it is going to be weird watching my portfolio move and grow slowly. Tesla makes up 76% of our portfolio and that stock decline in December was really traumatic.

Any thoughts?

I noticed that, too - she kept calling herself a newbie here but she’s been tweeting like a pro over there.

Seems like this TMC thread is the nest of pro traders making their classes and moving to the real Twitter world brought to us by Elon. Yoona seems to have joined the stock prediction pro team and will grow a follower base and might soon replace Mauro gone missing!

Tomorrow morning taking the plane to BC, I will be off grid for 10 days on a ski strip. I wonder what will be the stock price in 10 days without looking at the ticker for 10 straight days. This is the most exciting vacation I had in a while. No internet!

Wishing good luck to everyone with the P&D

From what I understand there are various Dark Pool levels, and it lands on one nearest the Gamma magnet.

Sure, but when is that knowledge actually available? If only after close, it’s useless for trading purposes. For all I know, the largest “magnet” may just be a dark pool that settles at the closing price at market close.

Sure, but when is that knowledge actually available? If only after close, it’s useless for trading purposes. For all I know, the largest “magnet” may just be a dark pool that settles at the closing price at market close.
The data is usually available on sites like Tradytics about a half hour into the morning trade, so around 10am EST same day. Yoona often posts it early.

The data is usually available on sites like Tradytics about a half hour into the morning trade, so around 10am EST same day. Yoona often posts it early.

Okay, but at what point is it apparent what the largest magnet is? I’m asking because I was anticipating this today and even posted one of yoona’s tweet from this morning upthread. But she didn’t tweet the 193.88 number until after close. Where could I have gotten that information before close?

Okay, but at what point is it apparent what the largest magnet is? I’m asking because I was anticipating this today and even posted one of yoona’s tweet from this morning upthread. But she didn’t tweet the 193.88 number until after close. Where could I have gotten that information before close?

Good question. I see it at the top line below. True she didn’t post it earlier, but anyone with access to the data from a service can view it during the day:

IMG_8129.jpeg

The question is divining which DP level is the magnet.

Good question. I see it at the top line below. True she didn’t post it earlier, but anyone with access to the data from a service can view it during the day:

View attachment 922848

But - is the largest "dark pool" some trade that is set to happen at the end of day price ? In that case, ofcourse the biggest pool will be the one at which the SP lands at 4 PM EST.

There are lots of pre-determined trades that happen at the end of the day price.

Reactions: mongo and MikeC

View attachment 922848

I may be wrong or just a coincidence, we are each guessing, but believe it is the the dark pool level with a high notional volume that is closest to the strike near gamma peak.

EDIT: Scratch that thought. While it lined up well the 29th and 28th, when gamma magnet was mentioned, it doesn't line up on the 27th.

This chart I'd created this morning using the updated delayed quotes, peak gamma was at or very near the DP level mentioned.

TSLA-TotalGamma-29Mar2023-a1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Holder
But - is the largest "dark pool" some trade that is set to happen at the end of day price ? In that case, ofcourse the biggest pool will be the one at which the SP lands at 4 PM EST.

There are lots of pre-determined trades that happen at the end of the day price.

You are right. I don’t know, it’s a mystery to me. Hopefully somebody can explain it.

Seems like this TMC thread is the nest of pro traders making their classes and moving to the real Twitter world brought to us by Elon. Yoona seems to have joined the stock prediction pro team and will grow a follower base and might soon replace Mauro gone missing!

Tomorrow morning taking the plane to BC, I will be off grid for 10 days on a ski strip. I wonder what will be the stock price in 10 days without looking at the ticker for 10 straight days. This is the most exciting vacation I had in a while. No internet!

Wishing good luck to everyone with the P&D
have fun and…..could Mauro=Yoona?

Sold same amount as earlier, aftermarket $193,47. Against my own rules to daytrade stock only and be back overnight. On above video. Why? Because we are above maxpain too it should not give too much pain if wrong
dumb move on almost day-high into close, so I just chose to pay for this with a 100% flipflop @ 194.77 premarket.. Maybe wait for a more intraday high and daily SPY options indicating lower. See you around 10:00 EST with first 0DTE view.
Pretty sure now the -P170 for tomorrow will expire.
(thank you for the 0DTE acronym, @Max Plaid but beware these options (if set too close to current SPY) can explode in your face, seen a few examples)

Last edited:
It reminds me of max-pain it worked until it didn't.

I am incredibly frustrated it seems like the whole dynamic of how Tesla used to trade has change. Before I would sell options after the 10:30 MMD but lately it seems that the best time is to sell options early after open. I sold about 30x April 6 $215 for next week.

I wanted to share that my job situation is changing and my wife and I are considering divesting from Tesla into something less volatile and boring like VTI. I also don't feel that confident about the auto market when car loans are 7-6% for 72 months 😳 even thought Tesla seems to be doing great but how long can they keep it up with those crazy rates. It really hurts leaving all that ton of money on the table when Tesla was in the $400's and it is going to be weird watching my portfolio move and grow slowly. Tesla makes up 76% of our portfolio and that stock decline in December was really traumatic.

Any thoughts?
Sorry to hear that. Can you take a less drastic approach, maybe shave down to 25% or whatever number works for you? Keep x00 shares and some LEAPs, etc., and sell conservative CC for income.