Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes, looking ugly out there today!

Tons of TSLA FUD and crappo macro too... glad I went call-heavy this week:

20x -c195
20x -c185
10x -p185
Are you going to close your -185c before CPI Wednesday? I have -190c +>70% already but maybe I just let it expire or close if I get >80% by tomorrow and hope for CPI spike to sell again for this week. Ideally, I like to start the ER week without having to roll any ITM options as the IV will be crazy high.

EDIT: I've closed my -190c at 66% gain. I feel the macro is reacting quite positive to the CPI coming. Will see what it would bring us tomorrow and re-enter.

Last edited:
Last Wednesday morning looked like a sideway wave 4 while last Friday looked like a zig zag wave B, which means we're in wave C of C. Would have preferred a stronger bounce but the stock is looking like it's in a hurry to carve out a bottom this week. Once again, the opening gap is refusing to be filled. As long as this channel holds...
1681142734842.png

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
Last Wednesday morning looked like a sideway wave 4 while last Friday looked like a zig zag wave B, which means we're in wave C of C. Would have preferred a stronger bounce but the stock is looking like it's in a hurry to carve out a bottom this week. Once again, the opening gap is refusing to be filled. As long as this channel holds...
View attachment 926860
So $160 area next stop?

I am adding an April bear call spread. I sell an additional C220 and buy a C240. Receiving USD 184. This means that my investment and max loss is lowered to USD 150. On the other hand my risk on the upside will grow if the stock price of Tesla will exceed USD 220 before the 21th of April. But I count this risk acceptable.

Position:
1 April C200
-3 April C220
2 April C240

I am bullish on Tesla. Did not except this dip.
Sold the C200 for 3,20 and bought a C240 for 25 cents. Total profit so far USD 145. That's not what I bargained for, but profit is profit. Though we still have almost 2 weeks to go.

Position:
-3 April C220
3 April C240

Later this evening I will open a new Butterly, May series.

What trades do you have open this week and next, if any? Would love to learn how you positioned.
I'm not really opening any new position today. On Friday I saw the stock making a rising wedge into 186 so that's when I rolled down my puts some more and sold 207.5C for this week. Today I'm just letting them both run.

Are you going to close your -185c before CPI Wednesday? I have -190c +>70% already but maybe I just let it expire or close if I get >80% by tomorrow and hope for CPI spike to sell again for this week. Ideally, I like to start the ER week without having to roll any ITM options as the IV will be crazy high.

EDIT: I've closed my -190c at 66% gain. I feel the macro is reacting quite positive to the CPI coming. Will see what it would bring us tomorrow and re-enter.
The answer is, I really don't know... previous weeks I had closed out calls early looking to resell and left money on the table. Today it seems that strategy would have worked quite well, but I didn't do it...

I am expecting CPI to come in pretty cold though, although I see the consensus is quite lower too, so maybe it won't surprise too much...

Edit: 185 looking sticky again already this week...

1681153014653.png

Shorters were already dancing on the tables at the beginning of the day (“See those new price cuts will burn the stock!”), forgetting a new megapack factory, to give one example of positive news last few days.

Look where we are now, actually flat.
Only one position for now and that’s 210CC for 5/19.
Would’ve closed it in the beginning of the day for 4ish, but missed the big dip.
Keeping it open now and will roll if needed.
New position (cc) when 225/230 strike for next week gets to 1.50 or higher.

Shorters were already dancing on the tables at the beginning of the day (“See those new price cuts will burn the stock!”), forgetting a new megapack factory, to give one example of positive news last few days.

Look where we are now, actually flat.
Would’ve closed it in the beginning of the day for 4ish, but missed the big dip.
Keeping it open now and will roll if needed.
New position (cc) when 225/230 strike for next week gets to 1.50 or higher.
Good choice. I don't know how much premium you got upon selling but still this seems to me as a good sell.
Why close? Of course, if you can take profit you can. But then, what will be your next move for what premium.

Last edited:
Sold the C200 for 3,20 and bought a C240 for 25 cents. Total profit so far USD 145. That's not what I bargained for, but profit is profit. Though we still have almost 2 weeks to go.

Position:
-3 April C220
3 April C240

Later this evening I will open a new Butterly, May series.
Choosing again the 200/220/240.

That means I buy 1 Call May 200 - USD 870

sell 2 Calls May 220 + USD 790

buy 1 Call 240 - USD 173

Investment USD 253 (transaction cost not included). Profit of USD 145 in my pocket as long as the stock price of Tesla doesn't exceed USD 220 till the 21st of April.

Reactions: UltradoomY
The answer is, I really don't know... previous weeks I had closed out calls early looking to resell and left money on the table. Today it seems that strategy would have worked quite well, but I didn't do it...

I am expecting CPI to come in pretty cold though, although I see the consensus is quite lower too, so maybe it won't surprise too much...

Edit: 185 looking sticky again already this week...

View attachment 926896
Could oil price spike significantly affect CPI/PPI?

Yesterday I used the dip to strengthen my holdings again (at 177 and 180). No options, because I will wait for a 190+ intraday today to sell half of maximum -C 207.5 for Friday. Thursday/Friday I will shift to safe -P for next week (165 or so, or even 145 if we would hit 170 this week already. Next week on Wednesday I plan to close. Roughly expect @dl003 to be right on last drawing. But wil act according to macro movements to.
this week down to a first stop, then Rallye into ER, at which point I presumably will be totally out of options, (or far OTM only).
My advice for this week would be to be aware of false-flagging on CPI/PPI Jobless##. Remember that we often see reversals 30-120mminutes after the first move (after the actual news). You could be squeezed into the wrong direction!