Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
185s? Check out MaxPain for next week, there were 40,000 c200s traded today. That far OTM, suggests that someone knows something. Normal bets for a weekly are less than 5000-10,000 contracts and closer to ATM, maybe $5 over.
Might have been folks closing them out, we won't know until Monday...

Anyway, like I said, easy enough to roll them up and out and loads of shares left to write weeklies, no problemmo

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
185s? Check out MaxPain for next week, there were 40,000 c200s traded today. That far OTM, suggests that someone knows something. Normal bets for a weekly are less than 5000-10,000 contracts and closer to ATM, maybe $5 over.
I'm in a few rooms and people have been telling each other to buy the dip this morning as well as buy 200C exp next week. Just technical trading I guess. Net call flow is pretty negative for the day, typical of long weekends.

Last edited:
Might have been folks closing them out, we won't know until Monday...

Anyway, like I said, easy enough to roll them up and out and loads of shares left to write weeklies, no pproblemmo
APR14C200:
Volume: 61k
Open Interest: 21k
Definitely not all closing. Could be flips with the 0.79-1.29 range today.

Today's 200s on the other hand...
Volume: 20k
OI: 51k

BTC 20x -p185 @35c & 20x -c185 @35c -> gets too messy trying to take this to the close and a big move either way could be costly, net profit $2.25 on each side

STO 10x 4/14 -p185 @$5.2 -> I was thinking of 20x -p170 shitputs, but the premium just wasn't worth the effort, so went with a lower number of strikes than the usual 20x ATM

Yes, yet another straddle... :rolleyes:

Tesla cut prices on both versions of its Model 3 sedan by $1,000 and on its Model Y crossover by $2,000,. It also cut prices on its more expensive Model S and Model X by $5,000.
Not yet in EU, where the price of the MSX is way too high

Other big news, is JB being nominated for the BoD, I see this as incredibly positive, don't know if the markets care about that though

Reactions: dc_h
What if Tesla have made this decision based on better than expected margins on Q1?
When have we ever seen them cut pricing OTHER than to drive demand/offset lost subsidies?
My take away is - Q1 margins are better than 20%, otherwise they wouldn't cut esp. Y. Actually, I don't understand the cut in prices for Y since apparently they don't have any issue moving those in US. Could be
- relative positioning of 3 & Y and how the demand will shift from one to another ... and/or
- expected higher production from Austin

Anyway, probably should move this back to the main thread. But looking at various headlines, I do think bears will have a field day on Monday. Thats why I've been only selling calls ...

Since Tesla cuts prices, discussion is about margin. I understand the worries but I think margin in this stage of development of Tesla is not the main issue.

i see these price cuts in the light of further development of Tesla. I must say, I think Tesla is doing the right thing and they are performing very smart.

Tesla set up a big fanbase, helped by superior technology and performance of the cars. They got a foothold in the car market very fast. In fact, Tesla is a brand to reckon with nowadays.

Once your reputation is set you can put your energy in gaining market share. Cutting prices and thus do concessions on your margin is part of the deal to gain this market share. I think these price cuts will be of the most significance in the main markets of Tesla, US and China.

But we'll see how Mr. Market will react next week. I remain bullish on Tesla since I am convinced Tesla is not only about cars. Tesla is an invention factory which will be greatly beneficial in solving climate change and contribute to a sustainable world.

Once your reputation is set you can put your energy in gaining market share. Cutting prices and thus do concessions on your margin is part of the deal to gain this market share.
I don't think a margin drop is substantive as far as Tesla having a super successful future.
There is some impact - not just on upcoming Earnings, but even medium term growth. Lower margins means lower cash-flow and what can be re-invested and how fast. Ofcourse currently cash may not be the limiting factor in building new factories - but at some point it may be.

I'm not sure it is? Cash on hand only changed by a few billion while constructing both Berlin and Austin, expanding Shanghai, building the megapack factory, etc... even if we pretended added cash went to 0, and stayed there for years, which it won't, they could build at least what 5 more factories with what they've already got to hand?

I think Tesla was pretty clear lack of talent was a key factor holding back factories- there's only so many great engineers- not cash.