Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That tweet actually makes the situation seem worse because he’s saying the board is unable to offer him a new comp plan until that verdict is out….but who knows when that will happen. A month from now or a year from now? I don’t know the rules and stipulations about how long a judge can delay giving a verdict.

Which makes Elons “threat” even weirder to make. Why make that threat if he knows the boards hands are tied for the time being?

Either way as usual with Elon, the way he goes about things just means pain for shareholders. At least now I’m making money off of Elons constant torpedo of the stock 😅
Because he's about to buy Tsla shares, fastest way to get voting rights. He can get it tomorrow;)

What strike/expiration are you thinking?
Jan 25 400 for $7 sold on Fri, Jan 25 300 is at $20 ... thinking will roll ...on the open ... (just in personal) -- here I want assignment & the more $ till assigment, the better
In other portfolio, will let the $450 CCs perculate till June, then maybe roll to $400 :),here will use $ to buy more Jan/Jun 26 Calls ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Holder
That tweet actually makes the situation seem worse because he’s saying the board is unable to offer him a new comp plan until that verdict is out….but who knows when that will happen. A month from now or a year from now? I don’t know the rules and stipulations about how long a judge can delay giving a verdict.

Which makes Elons “threat” even weirder to make. Why make that threat if he knows the boards hands are tied for the time being?

Either way as usual with Elon, the way he goes about things just means pain for shareholders. At least now I’m making money off of Elons constant torpedo of the stock 😅

Elon said that the board is waiting for the trial out come about his compensation case from 2022.

1000013649.png

And

1000013648.png

Reactions: MikeC
Elon said that the board is waiting for the trial out come about his compensation case from 2022.

View attachment 1009251

And

View attachment 1009252
I know that. What I was remarking on is that Elon is fully aware that the boards hands are tied right now. Maybe there is a bit of a battle happening behind the scenes in terms of the details on a new comp plan but I don’t think for one second that the board would refuse to give Elon a new comp plan.

So therefore, what was the point of making the threat of taking new products with him to a new company? Like who are you threatening? A board that can’t actually give you a new comp plan yet? All he did was effectively threaten shareholders for no real reason.

Anyways, this board is about TSLA trading action and options trading around it. As if institutional investors weren’t already hesitant enough about going heavy on TSLA, they will certainly be even more hesitant to load up on shares for the foreseeable future so TSLA trading action is likely to continue to be weak and what’s worse in the tweeting Elon did, we now know the holdup to ending this new bear narrative is completely up to the judicial system…..so good luck guessing when this gets resolved 🤷.

Really the worst timing for Elon to be making those tweets with the stock on the brink of breaking it’s uptrend support line

Last edited:
So he’s annoyed with the court holding up his pay package. He wants to stay with Tesla and the board will give him what he wants once the Delaware verdict comes out.

Nothing fundamentally concerning to me here although I know the market doesn’t like uncertainty. Any big SP drop from here would then make the inevitable verdict release a bullish event. And the pay plan itself when released will have a lot more initial credibility than the last one did, so that will be bullish, too.

I just have to remember to sell my shares in 10 years, before he has to sell to pay the taxes on his grants from this next package.

I don't understand the hysteria, the AI stuff isn't material today nor is it material to EPS for a looong time. Anyway, let's make some money off the craziness.

So my plan is to watch if and how deep any hysteria dip goes and BTC there a bunch of short calls that I sold right before close on Friday. Can always sell them again if we keep tanking but this way I capture any gains into my bank. Also maybe sell half my longs for a scalp down and get back in when I see selling volume decrease.

If we keep diving I may also sell my long LEAP calls and BTC my short LEAP puts too to stop the bleeding and pick them up again when the silly hysteria is done.

Looking forward to a fun day.

Bring it!

Last edited:
I don't like to anticipate what will happen before pre-market... could go either way. Although, wisdom of crowds hint there'll be a sharp market reaction. I'll need another flip roll to move out of 1/19 -p215/+p175 , now expecting SP will probably touch at or before open. That would leave me less room to work with to roll for credit this week, next is better. The trickiness is what to expect next week now that compensation is in the spotlight. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: To self-moderate, I don't want to talk comp, just mentioned it.

Reactions: saniflash
I don't understand the hysteria, the AI stuff isn't material today nor is it material to EPS for a looong time

P/E

Which is already super high if this is just a car company with declining margins.

But might be reasonable, even cheap, for one that's got material advances in FSD and robotics and AI coming in the next few years.

Sadly on the pre-weekend dip I already closed out all my sold calls, so I'm just in cash and shares presently- don't know what a good play would be in that situation given it's unclear how much, or how temporary a dip this might be-- I suppose something like we dip to $200 and I sell 10% OTM cash secured puts might be ok- even I were stuck with shares at 180 I could live with that... Alternatively a further dip might be an ok time to buy LEAPs depending what IV/premium looks like on em.

TSLA Rolling - does it work?

I have 100+ stats, and this is my 2nd most important one.

Since 2021, if your OTM weekly put/call is breached, there's a high probability of recovery if you roll instead of taking the loss. You don't need to roll for strike improvement, but you will be OTM faster if you do.

View attachment 1002630

View attachment 1002604

This is best explained using an example. Refer to the above Oct 7, 2022.

Friday Sep 30, 2022 Close = 265.25. Around 3pm, you decide you want to sell 12% OTM 7DTE for next week Oct 7. The bet is 233.42 put, 297.08 call. This could be a CC, Short Strangle, CSP, IC, whatever. (Sorry, this study isn't for Short Straddle or Iron Butterfly).

One week later, on Oct 7, stock closed at 223.07. Your call is safe, but your put is ITM. What to do?
  • you can take the loss, if you want
  • you can roll the put using the same strike (-p233.42) to next week; if you do that, you would be rolling for 35 weeks straight before it goes OTM (Jun 9, 2023 Fri Close 244.40). This is the best scenario because weekly ITM/ATM credits are huge, but you need a strong stomach because of the bottomless pit.
  • you can roll the put on a 5-strike improvement (-p233.43 change to -p228.43) to next week; if you do that, you would be rolling for 3 weeks straight (instead of 35 weeks!) before it goes OTM (Oct 28, 2022 Fri Close 228.52).
  • you can roll the put on a 10-strike improvement (-p233.43 change to -p223.43) to next week; if you do that, you would be rolling for 3 weeks straight (instead of 35 weeks!) before it goes OTM (Oct 28, 2022 Fri Close 228.52).
As you can see from the put side above, whether your 7DTE bet is 12% or 15% or my IC prediction, there is NO "max loss" situation. Maybe you don't have income during the roll weeks, but at least there is no loss. Your rolled position will go OTM eventually. And this makes sense, as the stock market is generally bullish in nature. Stocks tend to go up long-term, so your ITM put will be rescued tomorrow if not today.

Summary for puts: In the last 155 weeks starting 2021,
  • if your 7DTE put bet is 12% OTM, it will be breached only 10 times (6.45%). Of those 10, they are all rescued simply by rolling. This means max loss probability is 0/155.
  • if your 7DTE put bet is 15% OTM, it will be breached only 5 times (3.23%). Of those 5, they are all rescued simply by rolling. This means max loss probability is 0/155.
  • if your 7DTE put bet is my IC prediction, it will be breached only 4 times (2.58%). Of those 4, they are all rescued simply by rolling. This means max loss probability is 0/155.
  • whether you decide on 0- or 5- or 10-strike improvement, they are all rescued at some point in time.
Now the calls. Same as puts except there is a max loss situation (red cells). If your call was breached on Jan 27, 2023, no amount of rolling will rescue it if your 7DTE bet was 12% or 15%. But if you used my IC prediction, it is rescued after rolling straight for 12 weeks on a 5-strike improvement.

Summary for calls: In the last 155 weeks starting 2021,
  • if your 7DTE call bet is 12% OTM, it will be breached only 10 times (6.45%). Of those 10, 9 are rescued simply by rolling. This means max loss probability is 1/155.
  • if your 7DTE call bet is 15% OTM, it will be breached only 4 times (2.58%). Of those 4, 3 are rescued simply by rolling. This means max loss probability is 1/155.
  • if your 7DTE call bet is my IC prediction, it will be breached only 5 times (3.23%). Of those 5, 4 are rescued simply by rolling. This means max loss probability is 1/155 if 0-strike improvement. Max loss probability is 0/155 if 5-strike improvement.
  • calls are riskier than puts (there is possibility of max loss whether you bet 12% or 15% or my IC prediction)
By max loss, i mean the shorts are breached.

What is the #1 key lesson i learned from this exercise? PULLBACK. Stocks will, at some point, reverse and test TA. No one goes up or down forever in a straight line. For puts, it could be a 35-week wait before reversal comes. For calls, there is a risk of max loss (but 1/155 is tiny).

Note that this study involves only 12% OTM, 15% OTM, and my IC prediction. If you are aggressive ATM or too close to the sun, results may vary and your rolling may suck. Send me a list and I'll check.

NOT ADVICE. Nope. I am not your financial advisor. I am a newbie trader!
TSLA Rolling - does it work? Part 2

i spent 3 weeks figuring out a new logic, finally i got it, and just in time for EM's st*pid tweet

my most complex algorithm ever, google sheets literally grinds to a halt when i run the backtesting

if my 7DTE short put is breached, (for ex 2022-12-23 i have a 10% OTM bet -p135.20 but it closed at 123.15):
  • if i roll with no strike improvement (assuming no early assignment), i can close it in 4 weeks when High=136.68; this means rolling to the same strike 4 times
  • if i roll with 5-strike improvement every week, it will go OTM in 3 weeks (week 1 -p130.20, week 2 -p125.20, week 3 -p120.20 expires with Close=122.40); this means rolling 3 times and going down total 15
  • if i roll with 10-strike improvement every week, it will go OTM in 2 weeks (week 1 -p125.20, week 2 -p115.20 High =118.80); this means rolling 2 times and going down total 20
takeaway: be patient, since 2021 100% of all ITM puts went OTM if there was a 5- or 10- strike improvement every week

of course, the cost of rolling is up to you; if this was an IC with 40 width, chances are the strike improvements ALSO come with net credits

if one is doing 10% OTM, any breached put will take at most 5 rolls before it goes OTM (5-strike improvement every week)

if one is doing 12% OTM, any breached put will take at most 3 rolls before it goes OTM (5-strike improvement every week); max 6 rolls using the same strike and then it's OTM

my IC is the best, at most ONE roll with strike improvement fixes the problem (since 2021)

NOT ADVICE, past performance doesn't mean it will happen again

next up: CALLS

1705379658857.png

enlarged snapshot for the senior citizens:
1705381448398.png

Last edited:
Not sure how the institutions will react to the tweet, is it really that bad? If they dump and the stampede feeds on itself then sayonara to short puts and long calls, echoes of January 2022.

I plan to eye cutting my longs and recently bought +C LEAPS at open if we get a bloody red bar from hades and stay out until there’s more clarity about what’s coming next.

Never a dull moment!
The bottom line is that it's totally idiotic to tweet this out in the public arena and I would be surprised if the SEC don't go after it

Edit: OK to drag the above comment on-topic...

Looks like we have a red macro day to compound matters, TSLA down 2.2% in pre, AAPL 1.54%, so could be worse

Don't forget we have a huge quarterly OPEX this Friday with a target of $220, all the action on Friday was around this price too

1705397207797.png

Last edited: